6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Need some coolant flushing confirmation and/or advice

Old 06-14-2012, 07:03 PM
p8ntballer442
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some coolant flushing confirmation and/or advice

A while back my oil cooler popped. I had a new one put in and an EGR delete done at the same time. The garage that did the work flushed the coolant system with dawn twice. After the work was done I installed a coolant filter. It has been several months since then. However my degas bottle still looks a milkshake. Last week while doing the blue spring upgrade I removed the upper radiator hose and I ran my finger through the hose. When I did I removed a tablespoon of black and green "peanut butter". I think I need to do a very good flush. My delta is running 3-5 degrees so my delta looks fine but I don't want to clog up the oil cooler when I do this flush. This is my plan.

Drain
Pull the thermostat
Pull both block plugs (and install fumoto valves)
Flush with Distilled
Drain
Flush the oil cooler with the garden hose
VC9 flush
Flush with Distilled until clear.
Install new thermostat
Then Fill with an ELC coolant. (doing the correct 50/50 ratio of course)

Is the restore flush different from the vc9 flush and if so should I do it? My degas bottle is a mess, should I get a new one or can I remove it and try and get it scrubbed out? I What do you guys think? Is the plan sound? Would you change anything? Please everyone chime in!!!

Thanks guys!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Simple Green Cleaner is what alot of Guys use to get that Junk out from the Leftover Oil cooler failure

Under warrenty Ford would Replace Degass Bottle All Hosees and maybe the Heater Core pull front cover Clean it out

Basicaly its a HUGE Job

Just keep in mind NO MATTER how you Flush it the Oil Cooler is at risk of Clogging AGAIN But on the bright Side your Deltas Look Great so if it does Clog oil cooler you Should be able to reverse Flush the Oil Cooler It self and clear it

Pulling the Thermostat during the Flush is a MUST IMO Iv Flushed Both ways with thermostat and with thermostat Removed and it was a Night & Day Diffrence

Another thing that my Help is when theremostat pulled Stuff a Hose in at that location and reverse Flush Have the Lower Hose Off and Block drains Out and just let Hot Hose Run a Few

Also if Possible Undo the Heater Supply and Return Lines and stuff Hose in the Return side and reverse flush the Heater Core

The More Junk you can flush with the HOT Hose Just running threw it and get it out that way The Better the Odds are you wont Plug Oil Cooler again

Get that simple Green Cleaner most auto Parts stores sell it Run a Bunch of flushes with it First and save the VC-9 & Restore products towards the End as these 2 are Kinda Metal cleaners to clean the Block and Heads so you get GOOD coheision when the New ELC goes in and its Chemicals that protect from Cavitation will bond Properly to heads and Block

Check ALL Hoses to replace any that are too soft as the Oil Just cut there LIFE Expectancy in HALF

When you pull the thermostat out and fill the truck with the Cleaners Dont worrey about driving it Just make shure to set to High Idel or 1100rpm for an Hour or Longer parked in driveway this way you get the High Flow in the system and the Cleaners will work Better Hotter I was able to get Cooling system upto 150* or so

Old 06-14-2012, 08:48 PM
p8ntballer442
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Blade! Unfortunately I am out of warranty so all repairs are on my dime. But I love my truck and plan on being with it for a Long time so I plan on doing things right. I will be doing the high idle mod prior to this as well to make the process easier.

I like the Idea of using Simple Green. Do you know the dillution that most people use? 1 gallon of simple per flush? 2 gallons per flush?

So restore and VC9 are different. I was under the impression they were the same thing with a different name. Is there a procedure for proper use of these?

It sounds like the best route is going to be
Drain
Reverse flush everywhere
Simple green flush a couple times
VC9 and Restore flush
Flush with distilled till clear
Reverse flush oil cooler again
Fill with ELC

Old 06-14-2012, 09:35 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Dont know delution ratio for the simple green

There is Restore and Restore Plus one is same as VC-9 not shure which is what thought