1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Exhaust help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 04:52 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Exhaust help!

Alright so my new exhaust system is headers, header collector/reducers and glasspacks right off of that. (hopefully that won't be too loud lol) the problem is the collectors I bought are 2.5" Inside diameter, the glasspacks are 2.5" outside diameter (that's what they are supposed to be anyways, the glasspacks are Flowtech Red Hots.) So I buy the glasspacks and the reducers and they are the same size! I was told by several people over the internet that if you have an O.D pipe that an I.D muffler will fit or vice versa, well that was a bunch of *****! they just line right up to each other! so those collectors/reducers bolt to the header so you can slip a muffler or piece of pipe over the collector. Do I need a O.D diameter collector to work with the glasspacks? Every time I buy exhaust stuff I always get something ordered wrong.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Tape measure time. Sounds like muffs might have been boxed wrong. They do make connectors for 2 1/2 to 2 1/2" pipes.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:40 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Well, luckily a few weeks back I bought a 4' piece of 2.5 O.D exhaust pipe, and it fits right inside of the muffler and collector! that'll give me an extension so the exhaust will dump after the cab.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I forgot to mention I used the tape measure a lot before buying those, Jegs almost never tells people that the mufflers are I.D or O.D, looks like those glasspacks were I.D size after all. That's where I messed up. Good thing I bought that extra pipe lol.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The other approach is to get an expander. Harbor Freight has them for not very much and they expand one pipe to fit over another.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:17 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Never seen those before but I'll keep an eye out for it. I have this 4' piece of pipe kicking around that fits inside of the collector and mufflers perfectly, looks like I'll probably use it as a 2' extension on each side.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:30 PM
cliffordingles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so you know, That system is going to be loud.

I also noticed you live north of me where they do emission's check's, Do you have a plan for that such as a CAT or something?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:34 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I know it's going to be loud, just hopefully it's not too loud. Yeah there is emission checks up here but all vehicles are exempt after 25 years, and my truck will be 27 years old on 9-27, those cats. Someone tried smashing one out at one point and the other one was broken up a little but all of it is still in there, and they were plugged up! I guess I'll just scrap those. My dad used to run the same setup on his old truck and he said his wasn't excessively loud. We'll see lol I hope it has a mellow sound to it and not a drag race annoying sound.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:43 PM
cliffordingles
Senior User
Alright, Well what motor do you have?

My exhaust setup on my 351w is Flowtech headers and a Flowmaster 40(2 in 2 out) with 2 1/2 piping front to back, She gets loud when really on the gas but for normal driving it's amazing! Has a very deep low tone not loud and pretty much sound's like a muscle car.

I have a buddy that has a Bullnose with a 302, Still has the stock manifold's, No CAT's with 2 glasspack's like your going to use, I think it sound's like crap and is way to loud. But it's your truck fix it up how you want it.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:46 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I've got the 351W as well, my dads setup was on a GT 390 FE, I personally wouldn't have gone with glasspacks but money is tight, I'll wait for the glasspacks to burn out and put something nice on down the road. My hooker headers should come off the FedEx truck here in a little bit.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:48 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Also does your buddy ever get pulled over for excessive noise from the glasspacks?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:55 PM
cliffordingles
Senior User
lol, I live in the country, All small town's around me. No we don't get pulled over for excessive noise.

But still i think it sound's like crap... Like an OLD international pickup with straight pipes going down the road lol.

For price, Mine was cheap other than going to the shop for the piping... I got my header's and muffler from Summit, That part was cheap, I paid i think around 400$ for the piping, Hanger's and tip's...

You sound like your going to be doing it all yourself? If so i would say get a good muffler... They are not that expensive.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:01 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I got mine from Jegs, everything came out to about $270 for the headers, mufflers, clamps, header reducers, header gaskets and header bolts but those are on back order for a while so I'll just use my old ones for the time being. (I'm only 15 and a half) so money is tight, but it's tight for everyone anymore isn't it? my dad had to buy the headers (his choice to buy them for me anyways I wasn't gonna buy them originally) I'll probably put flowmasters on the truck sometime down the road.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:07 PM
cliffordingles
Senior User
What's on the truck now for exhaust?

I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan so i have plenty of money lol.

There are ALOT of option's for muffler's and whatnot, You should check you the Exhaust section on this forum. See what other's say and/or recommend.

Also, What are your plan's for the truck? 2WD? 4WD? Daily driver? Hauler?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:10 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Right now there is absolutely nothing on the truck, if I went out and started it up the exhaust would be coming straight out the heads, my truck is 2wd and it's just gonna be a fix it up project/daily driver. All it really needs is paint and the door dings taken out of it, and the dents taken out of the fender well inside of the bed and a bed liner put in it lol.

Quick Reply: Exhaust help!