Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Senior User

KenRebF-250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yea, I'm going to call Randy's as soon as I'm done here.

Neither dealer I talked to instilled any confidence that they knew what they were talking about.

Now that you guys were good enough to clear up the rear end misinformation, how 'bout the front axle. Would that in fact be a Dana 60 or should I be questioning the dealer conclusion on that as well?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Front's a D60.

The only other solid axle used in a SRW SD was the D50 from 99-02ish F250s and in the Excursions, and the Super 60 in trucks with factory 4.30 gearing. '09 w/ 3.73s, it's a D60.

I'm all jacked up on America right now! Anyone want to hear me recite the Constitution?
Old 06-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Senior User

Just looked at Randy's website and found that the available ratios for the reverse rotation front Dana 60 jumps from 4.30 to 4.88. Appears to leapfrog over the 4.56.

I would agree with your earlier statement dkf, I too think for a dedicated tow vehicle a 4.56 might be the way to go.

Dkf, earlier you mentioned the 5 star tow tune. I'm not at all familiar with that (is it apparent that I'm a farmer from out on the prairie? LOL!). Would I be able to adjust the shift points even with the 3.73 with something like the 5 star.

If I could hold the trans out of overdrive with the 3.73 I think that would be sufficient but there is no way to do that that way it's set up now, as you no doubt well know. Really, all I want to do is keep the rpm's within the little 330's sweet spot and keep it from shifting around so much. Would this be possible with the 5 star?
Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRebF-250 View Post
Just looked at Randy's website and found that the available ratios for the reverse rotation front Dana 60 jumps from 4.30 to 4.88. Appears to leapfrog over the 4.56.

I would agree with your earlier statement dkf, I too think for a dedicated tow vehicle a 4.56 might be the way to go.

Dkf, earlier you mentioned the 5 star tow tune. I'm not at all familiar with that (is it apparent that I'm a farmer from out on the prairie? LOL!). Would I be able to adjust the shift points even with the 3.73 with something like the 5 star.

If I could hold the trans out of overdrive with the 3.73 I think that would be sufficient but there is no way to do that that way it's set up now, as you no doubt well know. Really, all I want to do is keep the rpm's within the little 330's sweet spot and keep it from shifting around so much. Would this be possible with the 5 star?
Yes you can. 5 Star adjusts shift points and etc in the tune itself. You can just contact them and they can revise your tune for whatever gears you decide to get or you can just change the gear ratio parameter with the tuner.

Since you have the 5R110 with tow haul mode you will basically get 2 tunes in one with his tunes. When in tow haul you will have the tow tune and when tow haul is off you will have the performance tune. What 5 Star usually does in the tow tune is locks out overdrive until a specified mph.(usually around 65mph) I will hold 4th gear until that speed is reached. Helps prevent gear hunting. The tow tune also holds each gear longer. Check out their site and contact Mike if you have any questions or want to order a tuner. I run his tunes in my truck and so does my dad.

5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services

Got a 5.4L V8 Ford F150-F250-F350-E Series Van?
Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Senior User

SDTriton250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDTriton250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just my humble opinion but after having a 2500HD Hemi powered Ram with 3.73 the first 100k and then a 4.56 R&P installed, I prefer the 3.73. Even our current 2010 F250 with 5.4L runs in O/D on the flats with no head wind towing our mid profile 8500~lb 5th wheel. It shifts on every hill including overpasses. On the steeper uphills and grades, it runs in 3rd at 4200~rpm 60-65mph. Won't hurt a thing. With the 3.73, 65mph in O/D is right at 2k rpm. Direct is 2700~rpm and 3rd is 4200~rpm. Perfect match for the sb gas V8. In the Ram with 4.56 O/D was 2400~rpm, direct was 3300rpm and 2nd was 5100rpm. Not a good match for the small block as 3300rpm was a little much for the flats, 2400rpm wasn't quite enough to prevent downshifts and while 3300rpm wasn't enough for the steeper uphills, 5100rpm was a tad shrill. Driveline noise was also increased with the 4.56. So when I decided to give the F250 a home, I chose the 3.73. If starting or maneuvering up steep inclines is in the plans, then I would agree with the 4.30, 4.56 or 4.88. Other than that, the transmission will find the gear to put you at the rpm, gear reduction, torque multiplication you need for the load.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Senior User

SDTriton250 we have a very similar vehicle in regards to drive train components. And, our 5th wheel is close to the same weight and probably has similar wind resistance factors, as well. The way you describe how your truck negotiates the hills and wind is very near what we experience with our truck.

This is my first experience with a truck whose drive train operation is fully computerized so I may be uncomfortable with some things that are totally normal but that I may just not be accustomed to.

Dkf, I was not aware of the 5 Star tuner deal. If it is possible to use this tuner you speak of to revise the shift point settings so as to keep the trans from up shifting prior to reaching 65 mph then this may well be all the modifications I need to get into my comfort zone. As I earlier stated it will down shift twice prior to downshifting to the gear that jumps the engine rpm to about 4k at between 60 and 65 mph. I'm not real fond of that happening repeatedly.

My biggest concern is whether a change in the shift points would cause undo strain on, or overheating of, the transmission. I want to avoid that for sure since we want this truck to last over the long haul, so to speak.

With this tuner can I achieve some additional horsepower/torque and safely apply it most efficiently to my towing situation in addition to getting the trans to shift in a way that maximizes the horsepower and torque available from the engine?

Would a clod hopper farmer like me be able to figure this tuner out and get comfortable with using it?

Sorry about the barrage of questions but I've learned more about what my options are here in a few minutes than the service managers at the 2 Ford dealers could tell me in 3 hours.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Response in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRebF-250 View Post
Dkf, I was not aware of the 5 Star tuner deal. If it is possible to use this tuner you speak of to revise the shift point settings so as to keep the trans from up shifting prior to reaching 65 mph then this may well be all the modifications I need to get into my comfort zone. As I earlier stated it will down shift twice prior to downshifting to the gear that jumps the engine rpm to about 4k at between 60 and 65 mph. I'm not real fond of that happening repeatedly.

The performance/tow tune will do what you want. It holds each gear longer, reduces trans hunting between gears, quicker torque converter lockup, firmer shifts and etc.

My biggest concern is whether a change in the shift points would cause undo strain on, or overheating of, the transmission. I want to avoid that for sure since we want this truck to last over the long haul, so to speak.

They do not change anything that hurts the engine or trans. You may actually notice a slightly lower trans temp due to less shift slip and quicker converter lockup with the tune.

With this tuner can I achieve some additional horsepower/torque and safely apply it most efficiently to my towing situation in addition to getting the trans to shift in a way that maximizes the horsepower and torque available from the engine?

More power goes to the ground even with 87 octane. You really do not start to an increase in engine power output until you start getting into the higher 91+ octane fuels. Even on 87 the difference over stock is VERY noticeable.

Would a clod hopper farmer like me be able to figure this tuner out and get comfortable with using it?

If you can use a computer you can reflash your trucks computer with a tuner. Any questions, we are here to help.

Sorry about the barrage of questions but I've learned more about what my options are here in a few minutes than the service managers at the 2 Ford dealers could tell me in 3 hours.

An SCT X3 tuner with 3 custom tunes from 5 Star is around the $400 area.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Senior User

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. I learned a lot in a short time for sure.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet but at least I have some options available.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Postmaster

SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
if your gonna keep stock sized tires i would install 4.30 gears. I have them in my 2004 and they really helped out alot. But im running 285/75r16 which are about two inches larger then stock and the 4.30 helped but towing heavy i really wish i would have gone to 4.56 instead. Im buying 255/85r16 tires next week which are 34" tall so im guessing my near max towing is gonna be just slightly worse now. But since im in NJ and its flat ill just keep pushing the skiny pedal

2004 F-350, XLT, SC, SB, FX4, 5.4, 4R100 w/ .472 line mod valve & TransGo HD2 reprogramming kit, 4.30 gears w/ Detroit locker, zoo dad mod w/ STOCK intake, Gibson stainless headers, SPD y-pipe, 51509 cat, Borla 3" exhaust, 1" rear AAL, dually upper and lower overload spring, 08 diff cover, ProComp 22210 springs, more.....
Old 06-16-2012, 12:35 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
105, 2002, 2009, 4x4, 80, axle, dana, f250, f450, ford, gear, ratio, ratios, rear, sterling, swap