Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Intercooler Condensation buildup

Old 10-19-2012, 12:25 PM
3f150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tiger
Can you show us pictures of it when it is in? Just put em on your album and lead us there with the copy of the http in the thread. New Edge advertises the shutters in front of it's IC. But that is basically a car. LOL Still I wonder, would 91 octane non ethanol be a better fuel for the EB ?
I told you I would show you a picture of new intercooler but....read my thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tercooler.html

Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,425 Likes on 2,340 Posts
What seems different about the new intercooler? There is a picture of the old one's style in my album.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/m...ator-core.html

Pictured comparison of a Ford IC and a German swap. LOL

Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 PM
3f150
Freshman User
What seems different about the new intercooler? There is a picture of the old one's style in my album.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Papa Tiger's Album: Papa Tiger Pictures - Picture

Pictured comparison of a Ford IC and a German swap. LOL
I haven't seen it yet, it's still at the dealer because it didn't solve the problem. It might have solved the complete loss of power issue, that's yet to be determined. But, it didn't solve the "slipping/jerking" problem. So they kept it. Ten days today. Waiting to hear from Ford engineers Monday on some more tests they had dealer to run today.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 PM
RonD45
New User
I just started reading this thread, but will add my experience/comments. I have a 2012 ECO boost built in June which has the deflector behind the intercooler from the factory. I have experienced the condensation problem. So the deflector fix is not the fix we are looking for. First, when I had the problem I was not driving with cruise control, so that is not part of the problem either.

I had been driving in on and off rain for several hours on the interstate (not on cruise). I was in a construction zone and the traffic in my lane sudden slowed to about 40 mph. There was an opening in the left lane so I swithched lanes and floored it to get up to speed. I got up to speed and let up on the gas and suddenly the PU started to buck and shudder. I thought oh $#!t, there is no shoulder in the construction zone to pull off onto. I looked over at the outside temperature on the dash, and it read 68 degrees. The truck was maintaining speed, but I wondered how long it would, or if it would die. After about 20 or 30 seconds it cleared up and resumed normal operation. It wasn't a very pleasant experience and I hope to never experience it again. It could have lead to an accident under different circumstances.

I spoke to the service manager and my salesman and they had no knowledge of the problem. The accessory salesman, did know of the problem and had another customer with the problem.

What is the proper way to get the information of our experiences back to Ford engineering?

I have a friend who was a truck mechanic and he said all of the big rigs have a valve to drain the condensate. Is there some way we could add on the valve to fix the problem if Ford won't?

Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Your slipping/jerking may be due to a servo problem in the trans overdrive bands. Somewhat the same as the 4 speeds overdrive retainer problems. See if changing to tow/haul makes a difference. The trans programming changes the way the OD bands operate with adding engine braking to its operation.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 PM
wwest
Junior User
Originally Posted by dascro
Can you explain to me how an air to air intercooler "supecools" the incoming air below ambient?
Easy...

But not "supercools", just below current ambient, OAT.

In order to avoid turbo lag Ford keeps the wastegate partially closed, closed just enough to for the turboes to produce a slight boost pressure at the inlet to the CAC. That means that the air in the crossflow piping of the CAC is under slight pressure and will be cooled to OAT as it flows through the CAC.

Assuming we're simply cruisng along at part throttle, no boost required or need, the pressure relief valve, BOV, whatever, will be open to atmospheric pressure. That will result in a high to low pressure gradiant, however slight, at in the outflow side of the CAC. It is that pressure gradiant that will result in the outlet airflow's temperature being reduced to below OAT.

If the ATMOSPHERE entering the system was already very close to the dewpoint then reducing the temperature of that same "atmosphere" at the CAC outlet below initial OAT will often result in precipitation.

The hotter the atmosphere is to start with the greater will be the ABSOLUTE volume of gaseous water it might contain. Obviously the problem is most likely to occur after hours of driving, simply cruising, with a high Rh, low span, difference, between OAT and dewpoint. So, as OAT rises incrementally, possibility of more water in the "bucket", so does the propensity for the problem to occur.

Ford is between a rock and a HARD place.

They cannot reduce the level of "boost" during simple cruisng absent disappointing a LOT of "boy-racers", or those elder folks of that mentality.

Otherwise the CAC crossflow volume could be increased thereby having no pressurization within. No pressure, no pressure drop, and thus NO "supercooling".

But then, absent that slight pressure differential, just how would Ford "sense" that the turboes always remain "spun up" just to the cusp of producing a serious level of boost. Quick reaction when the throttle plate suddenly goes fully open (and the pressure relief valve/"BOV" closes).

Question for ALL.

With 2 turbo impellers pushing air into the same CAC inlet volume how does Ford sense that each is carrying its own weight? Equal wastegate positional servomotor position feedback?

Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Ur question could be best answered by Garrett. It is an engineering solution you ask. The rest is controlled thru the ECU programming, pressure/temp sensors input and the electronic/vacuum controls on the individual turbo's wastegate for surge and BOV return to intake side for PSI. Since the TB never fully opens the throttle, turbo mechanical fall on its face syndrom is downsized thru the programming along with the turbo small size. The design control system is air pressure/temp oriented. With sensors before the Turbo's, after the CAC but before the TB and in the intake manifold after the TB which opens the BOV. With these being monitored during a 5 second check with the barometric sensor in the ECU. Any sensor out of programmed tolerences will test. It is obvious with the automatic shutter systems on the Edge, Ford has been working on this too. Would the shutter system be left off the F150 due to it being a truck designed to doing a trucks job. If you seek working knowledge search for myobd2012 ford lincoln repair manual. For me I see turbo equipped cars with high reving down shifting to help clear the condensation ect. It would not be so hard to program the 6 speed to downshift thru the gears reving the motor each time to do much the same. Of course many wouldn't like their F150 driving like a F1 Formula, taking corners at 90 mph and engine braking thru town by the millions. That's my thought, author takes no responsibility for others thoughts. LOL

Turbo Tech Expert | Turbobygarrett http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...aq#intercooler http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...productcatalog

Here is a picture of the Garrett turbo on the 3.5L, notice the vacuum pot on the wastegate actuator.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Papa Tiger's Album: Papa Tiger Pictures - Picture

Old 11-20-2012, 10:44 AM
wwest
Junior User
Ur question could be best answered by Garrett. It is an engineering solution you ask. The rest is controlled thru the ECU programming, pressure/temp sensors input and the electronic/vacuum controls on the individual turbo's. The design control system is air pressure/temp oriented. With sensors before the Turbo's, after the CAC but before the TB and in the intake manifold after the TB. With these being monitored during a 5 second check with the barometric sensor in the ECU. Any sensor out of programmed tolerences will test. It is obvious with the automatic shutter systems on the Edge, Ford has been working on this too. Would the shutter system be left off the F150 due to it being a truck designed to doing a trucks job. If you seek working knowledge search for myobd2012 ford lincoln repair manual. For me I see turbo equipped cars with high reving down shifting to help clear the condensation ect. It would not be so hard to program the 6 speed to downshift thru the gears reving the motor each time to do much the same. Of course many wouldn't like their F150 driving like a F1 Formula, taking corners at 90 mph and engine braking thru town by the millions. That's my thought, author takes no responsibility for others thoughts. LOL

Turbo Tech Expert | Turbobygarrett Garrett | FAQ Products | Turbochargers

Here is a picture of the Garrett turbo on the 3.5L, notice the vacuum pot on the wastegate actuator.
Downshifting only increases the engine's frictional load component so that's not likely to increase the intake air velocity enough.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by wwest
Downshifting only increases the engine's frictional load component so that's not likely to increase the intake air velocity enough.
i think he was referring to a forced downshift.

read your owner's manual for a definition of forced downshift.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I as at the local dealer the other day and asked if all new F150's have the new upgrade to the inter cooler and they said yes, they also update the Sync when all their trucks come in as well.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Well the Lil Womans EQ has now developed the spark mis/shudder/loss of power on the interstate at steadystate driving up a small incline with + 75,000 miles on it. Tomorrow after OBDII check for codes/misfires, with the knowledge pointing toward the EGR one is now on order. I will be jacking it up and removing the rear spark plugs ( iridiums ) to see if the fine center electrode is damaged. Will replace them with double platnium along with new plug/coil wire cables if needed.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 PM
wwest
Junior User
Well the Lil Womans EQ has now developed the spark mis/shudder/loss of power on the interstate at steadystate driving up a small incline with + 75,000 miles on it. Tomorrow after OBDII check for codes/misfires, I will be jacking it up and removing the rear spark plugs ( iridiums ) to see if the fine center electrode is damaged. Will replace them with double platnium along with new plug/coil wire cables.
The most likely danage will be cracked or broken plug ceramics due to COLD water "strikes".

What's an "EQ"...?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
I know, I'm worried a head gasket is starting to leak water/to steam, into the cylinder, american motors and their gaskets, uggggghhhh!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:59 PM
clydesride
Senior User
Well, I am now getting a new intercooler from my dealer. They did a quick check on the computer and found that yes I did feel some missing (I live in a pretty volatile environment with a dew point that appears to hang around close to the ambient temp at times) and yes they are going to change it out.

I read most of the posts about it and still wonder if this will solve the issue or is it a design dealio?

Will let you know what happens.... sometimes I really miss my big old 7.3 Ex!!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
The 3 iridiums on the #1 bank were faulty at 75,000 miles. Put in new double platniums and new spark plug cables. There is an obvious desigh difference in the 2 spark plug types. The Iridium really look flimsy on the inside. Also the spark looked poor on the electrode of the bad ones. There was no obvious damage to the plugs physically, believe the problem to be internal. No steady state spark misses for 2,000 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intercooler Condensation buildup