6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Having my truck bulletproofed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Enomra
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having my truck bulletproofed!

As the title states my truck is down at a local shop getting updated like Ford should have done to start with. Needless to say I'm a little upset with The local Ford shop for not fixing it all under warranty. My truck has only 40,000 miles on it and is bone stock. The degas bottle has been leaking when I towed since new. They threw some parts at it including oil cooler and EGR etc. but never would do the head gaskets. They would tell me it's the coolant level or just normal for them to do that. It would never leak bad I would just notice the white residue. So when I noticed the same thing the other day I made the "T" fitting pressure tester and ran it up the mountain and whenever the boost would hit 20 PSI or more the guage would start climbing until the cap vented at 16 PSI, running under 20 psi it would read about 5 psi.

So here's the list
ARP studs
Ford HG's
BPD oil cooler
BPD EGR cooler
Pipes and plugs
STC fitting
Blue spring kit
All the O rings and gaskets replaced
Coolant flushed
Fuel filters

So I hope I will be able to drive the truck like it was purchased to...... without worry.

Anyone else been bulletproofed if so how has it performed???

Thanks for all the suggestions and information on this forum. I actually learned a lot about the 6.0 from this site.

Truck specs are in signature.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Maybe the few times you used your xcal3 bit you - who knows. Anyway, sorry you are spending so much, but it should be worth it.

Make sure the heads are checked well and, if machined, that it is a shop w/ a good reputation.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Enomra
So here's the list
ARP studs
Ford HG's
BPD oil cooler
BPD EGR cooler
Pipes and plugs
STC fitting
Blue spring kit
All the O rings and gaskets replaced
Coolant flushed
Fuel filters

Anyone else been bulletproofed if so how has it performed???
did all that on my van, plus a bit.

as was suggested, have a good look at the heads.
i had mine redone as the van is a huge R&R cost
if you have to pull the engine again to do them later.

you should be good for a long time.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Enomra
Elder User
Bismc. I never ran any program on this truck. Bone stock and never tuned. I had an 03 which I did program and even had an edge system. I had so many troubles with it that I got rid of it and swore I would only run this one stock. Well not any more I will more than likely tune it now that I have the studs. I have an SCT but its got custom tunes for my Lincoln LS. Thanks for hint on the heads I will make sure of that. The shop has another 6.0 in getting a replacement engine and they have done 9 HG jobs on these trucks in the last two years. Needless to say they love the 6.0.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 AM
nhurst08
New User
Hey guys. I'm new to the site but so far I love it. Best informative site I have found. I was browsing the site and this topic caught my eye bc I am thinking abt getting my 2006 6.0 bulletproofed. But I'm still debating the issue bc I have no problems with the truck now except a intermittent problem when I tow the turbo will not work for a few seconds. I think the map sensor may be a little gummed up from the gunk in the intake manifold. But anyway I would like to know how ur bulletproof turns out. Also what shop did you use? Any info will be a great help. Thanks, Neal

Old 06-14-2012, 10:52 AM
IBeStrokin
New User
Enomra,

If you dont mind me asking, what is the cost of all that work to bulletproof your 6.0. Reason I ask is because I am looking to do the same if I buy this 04 6.0 Im looking at. Thanks, Charlie

Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Enomra
Elder User
Cost....hold onto your shorts. $5250.00 installed with 12 month warranty.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 AM
IBeStrokin
New User
Man thats a jaw dropper! Well hopefully I can get a good deal on this truck and have some cash to get the job done...Thanks

Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Which shop in Oregon are you using?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:30 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah, but you have a $2,000 BPD oil cooler going in instead of using a $250 stock rebuild kit. So it would be $3400 if you used to stock cooler makes it not sound nearly as bad at all, pretty normal for HGs with what's been reported lately. I personally don't think the BPD oil cooler is worth the money, you could do a half dozen oil cooler replacements for the cost of it, but if you like it then rock on.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Enomra
Elder User
Small engine specialties. He says anything under 600 cubic inches is small. LOL.

He does most of the 6.0 work for Oregon Injection as well as all of his customers. If I would have gone with the stock oil cooler which was installed last year it would have saved about $1500. But I wanted this all done now with no worries.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:31 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Bismc. I never ran any program on this truck. Bone stock and never tuned. I had an 03 which I did program and even had an edge system. I had so many troubles with it that I got rid of it and swore I would only run this one stock. Well not any more I will more than likely tune it now that I have the studs. I have an SCT but its got custom tunes for my Lincoln LS. Thanks for hint on the heads I will make sure of that. The shop has another 6.0 in getting a replacement engine and they have done 9 HG jobs on these trucks in the last two years. Needless to say they love the 6.0.

Was this on the 03 truck (posted in 08)?

If anyone is interested I will sell my Xcal3 with Spartan tunes installed..

I used it a couple of times and set my truck back to stock and it will stay stock.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6689972

That is why I posted what I did. Even a few times might do it IMO, but then some have great luck tuned and OEM bolts (but the ones with canned tunes suffer more than those w/ good custom tunes) ......

Old 06-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Enomra
Elder User
Yes that SCT was used on my 2003. Are you a cop? LOL.... I was too nervous to try it after my 2003 debacle. The one I have now is a 3000 with custom tunes for my Lincoln ls.

Now I wish I had it back since I'm getting studs. Gotta find a good all around tune to run on it and stop the EGR valve function.

Bismic what tunes would you recommend. It seems like everyone tunes these days.

Thanks for the replies one and all.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:37 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
A personal interest of mine is to understand "what frequency are stock engines still blowing head gaskets". A lot of people say a lot of things, but if you want the facts you have to dig for them. My theory is that with better "owner" understanding/attention to things like boost, oil/coolant temperature differences, and taking it easy until warmed up - the issues with head gaskets on stock engines are very infrequent.

Not trying to call you out, but it is interesting what a little research will tell you (and I enjoy doing the research).

I am very impressed w/ Matt's (Gearhead) tunes.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Enomra
Elder User
Never mind! I'll bite my tongue.

Quick Reply: Having my truck bulletproofed!