Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 3.8 & 4.2L V6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2012, 01:46 AM
New User

Jody_Clarke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help Needed- 02 F-150 Instrument cluster replaced - truck now running rough-code=running "lean"

Purchased a manual 02 F 150 4X4 4.2L V6 about two months back, have had zero problems with it until one day last week when it wouldn't start. Anti-theft light flashed rapidly, odometer went blank & fuel & other gauges went down, truck would try and crank but not turn over- reasoned it was in PATS system. Could give dash a swift hit on occasion and it would star right up. When it did run, it ran smooth as silk. Took to local dealership where I was told instrument cluster had to be replaced- cost $800. After driving truck home noticed it wasn't running smoothly at all. Service Engine light came on, so I took it to a local express oil change to get a free diagnostics ran on it- were I was told it was "running lean". Was also told that it was mere coincidence that it shouldn't have anything to do with new cluster?? Express Oil guy told me I needed a tune-up and injectors cleaned. Went back to dealership & was told by Ford that a tune-up would not help and that they also believed it was total coincidence? As you folks can most likely tell am not mechanically inclined, asked previous owner if he had any similar problems in the past- he mentioned to me that the only problems he ever experienced was with the mass air flow sensor getting dirty causing rough idle. Mentioned this to Ford and they dismissed this potential solution, although I've read other posts suggesting this could cause a running "lean" code. The folks at Ford also told me that it was OK to drive it as long as the service Engine light was solid and not flashing, while the truck does run horribly at times almost sounding like a motorcycle yet seemingly no major loss of power- other than first few minutes it's started along w/ a rough idle. Any insight into this and or recommendations as to what I might could try myself, as funds are very tight after just spending the $800 would be very much appreciated. Thanks for any insight and or info. your patience with a total noob is once again greatly appreciated, J.C.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:12 PM
New User

chilic82 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm having the same trouble and am wondering if I should order a gauge cluster from Ebay to fix it. Does anyone else have any info on this?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:12 PM