Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable winch

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:20 PM
henritrinelli
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today I added a couble of reinforcements from the center of tho winch mount to the engine crossmember....

Also made 2 "brackets " to mount the bumper....It was impossible to put the nuts in the upper bolts , so I used 2 strips of 1/4 metal , threaded and used them in place of that nuts.....They fit very tight and then I put the lower bolts....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Wow man, that looks great. I love the look of your bronco hanging there, it's cool.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Korben
New User
Looks great, good work, and great write up, however I'm curious why you decided to do it how you did?

Removable winches are pretty common these days and %99.9 use a single reciever, as a class 4 reciever hitch is rated for a 12,500lbs trailer it seams a single should be plenty strong for most winches and certainly yours. That by using 2 like you did don't you create many limitations you wouldn't have with 1. For starters you can't put it in the back of the rig without another matching custom reciever in the back, where you could with a single. Add to this the many other places and uses, using the winch on other rigs, I use mine on my trailer for example. Also with a center reciever on the front of the rig it becomes rather multi purpose. etc etc

Largely I ask as I am working on similar setups, I have a single mount winch and curently recievers on the back of the rig and the trailer tongue of my car hauler. The front of the rig is next.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:45 PM
henritrinelli
Senior User
Originally Posted by Korben
Looks great, good work, and great write up, however I'm curious why you decided to do it how you did?

Removable winches are pretty common these days and %99.9 use a single reciever, as a class 4 reciever hitch is rated for a 12,500lbs trailer it seams a single should be plenty strong for most winches and certainly yours. That by using 2 like you did don't you create many limitations you wouldn't have with 1. For starters you can't put it in the back of the rig without another matching custom reciever in the back, where you could with a single. Add to this the many other places and uses, using the winch on other rigs, I use mine on my trailer for example. Also with a center reciever on the front of the rig it becomes rather multi purpose. etc etc

Largely I ask as I am working on similar setups, I have a single mount winch and curently recievers on the back of the rig and the trailer tongue of my car hauler. The front of the rig is next.
Well.....in my country everything is difficult...Importings are almost closed...a 35" tire cost $600.- IF you can find them...........class4 hitch?....they donīt exist here......They make some ****ty hitches for F250 where you canīt even hang your clothes to dry and they cost $300!!! and are rated to tow 5000lbs ........If you want to buy 1/4 wall tubing you have to buy minimun 18 feets wich costs $400.- .........
I donīt usually tow anything.....I would love to have an ATV ....but they cost $15k here.....

So , I undrestand your point.....but here is different...You do what you can , with what you have or can get.....

PD: money exchange here is 6 to 1......

Old 06-17-2012, 06:47 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend

I too thought about this and the idea of having a single mount winch is pretty good but I think if the winch cable happens to be on one of the far sides of the spool, wouldn't the tension on the side of the hitch could wear it faster. I would probably do a single mount if i did one so that i could put other stuff on there such as, a step to help get up and work on the motor rather than using a step stool or my current sideways milk crate. I had tossed around the idea of getting one of those fold up steps you hook on the side of the tire but with the placement of my hood it might make it more difficult. I more wish i had a whole winch bumper or step bumper but thats just me.

Anyways back to the topic hehe, I would think he did a double for the added stability of the winch.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Korben
New User
Originally Posted by henritrinelli
Well.....in my country everything is difficult...Importings are almost closed...a 35" tire cost $600.- IF you can find them...........class4 hitch?....they donīt exist here......They make some ****ty hitches where you canīt even hang your clothes to dry and they cost $250!!!........If you want to buy 1/4 wall tubing you have to buy minimun 18 feets wich costs $400.- .........
I donīt usually tow anything.....I would love to have an ATV ....but they cost $15k here.....

So , I undrestand your point.....but here is different...You do what you can , with what you have or can get.....

PD: money exchange here is 6 to 1......
OK so I gotta ask, where are you?

Old 06-17-2012, 07:09 PM
henritrinelli
Senior User
OK so I gotta ask, where are you?
Argentina , Southamerica.....

Old 06-17-2012, 07:10 PM
henritrinelli
Senior User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
I too thought about this and the idea of having a single mount winch is pretty good but I think if the winch cable happens to be on one of the far sides of the spool, wouldn't the tension on the side of the hitch could wear it faster. I would probably do a single mount if i did one so that i could put other stuff on there such as, a step to help get up and work on the motor rather than using a step stool or my current sideways milk crate. I had tossed around the idea of getting one of those fold up steps you hook on the side of the tire but with the placement of my hood it might make it more difficult. I more wish i had a whole winch bumper or step bumper but thats just me.

Anyways back to the topic hehe, I would think he did a double for the added stability of the winch.
Iīm gonna build a step too!!!....Damn is hard to get to the engine

Old 06-17-2012, 07:11 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Yeah, even with only 3 inches and 35s for me i use a rickety milk crate and my smooth chrome bumper which in the rain gets real slick... I already fell on top of the engine once or twice..

Old 06-17-2012, 07:19 PM
henritrinelli
Senior User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Yeah, even with only 3 inches and 35s for me i use a rickety milk crate and my smooth chrome bumper which in the rain gets real slick... I already fell on top of the engine once or twice..
That is a funny image.....it happened to me to....Mine is 6-7 of lift and 35"....

I completed my location on the profile.....

Old 06-17-2012, 07:22 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Yeah, i plan to rid of the body lift and do about 4 inches in suspension.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:03 AM
abrojal
Freshman User
Nice winch dude, I wish I could have one like yours

PD: I think I know you, but Iīm not sure