1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OT: Computer geeks, I need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:23 PM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
OT: Computer geeks, I need your help.

What are the chances I can replace the motherboard on my HP laptop?
My shop laptop is about 3 yrs old. I bought it from a friend 2 yrs ago that got it for work and never used it, literally never.
Since I have had it I might have had it on for maybe 30 hrs tops, I'd guess. I only use it for AE, IDS, chip burning etc.

Well, earlier today it was working fine, then screen went blank. I tried to re-boot and the lights come on around the keyboard but no screen, and it has a series of beeps.

Took to local computer shop, they tested a few things then said that because it's a laptop everything else is part of the motherboard, so that whole thing needs to be replaced.

I know it was a $2k computer when I got it, I can't believe it's toasted, but sure, why not.

Is it possible that I can find a good (new) exact replacement motherboard and swap it myself and save this thing?
The scanner, chip burning and other software are what is valuable to me and I can only image the grief I will have trying to re-license everything.

Any help is mucho appreciated.
Thanks.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 06-12-2012, 05:52 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
any info on the computer is stored in the hard drive, which is held in by 2 screws. just pull the hard drive and can the rest.
any halfassed tech person can retrieve the info on the hard drive. i bet even i could figure out how to do it, and im just a dumb truck driver.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All you need to do is buy the same model / type of laptop usually listed as for "Parts or Repair" on Ebay and install your Hard drive in that laptop and your done.... If it costs a couple of hundred dollars that will be surprising ..... Or do what TJC Suggests ....

Old 06-12-2012, 06:08 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
Exactly what make/model is your laptop?

Should be easy to find a replacement with a good board on fleabay.....just swap over your HD and Ram....really not that hard. Lookup some videos on youtube....should be able to find whatever info you need.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:30 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Originally Posted by blageurt
All you need to do is buy the same model / type of laptop usually listed as for "Parts or Repair" on Ebay and install your Hard drive in that laptop and your done.... If it costs a couple of hundred dollars that will be surprising ..... Or do what TJC Suggests ....
this works too. the laptop i am currently using cost me $45 on fleabay. i put the hard drive and ram from my old gateway in it and it is good to go.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:38 PM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
I asked about just getting another computer, and the Guy at the computer repair place said that the new comp must have all the exact same chips etc or the drive swap would not work. He said the chances of getting a computer with the exact same motherboard is slim to none.
It's not so much the files on the drive, it's the programs and he said the exact same motherboard is critical to run the programs. The files can be retrieved, but the programs are gone.
That's all new to me, it's just what he said.

HP Elitebook 8530w (I think, I don't have it in front of me right now.) I'll look around and see if I can find another one.
Thanks.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Redneckmorton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you still have the original key codes for the software?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a computer guy, but I talked to my son who is pretty computer savy and he said that the programs are on the hard drive and you can either replace the mother board or install your hard drive in another computer and still have your programs. He said to get another computer guy to look at it.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your computer guy doesn't know what he is talking about. The programs are all on the hard drive. Furthermore, most computers around that same age will use similar hard drives so you should be able to swap that drive into a different model of computer. The only thing that I can see as a complication is that if you put that hard drive into another computer and start it up, even if everything is there, you may have to re-register some of that software. The SW is usually registered to the MAC address of the computer which in the case of the laptop is most likely bound to the NIC (network) card that is a part of the motherboard. Worse come to worse, if that is the case and the software doesn't work you can contact the publishers of the software and tell them the situation. Most companies understand and will work with you to get you re-registered. Some will charge you a nominal fee, but it is always cheaper than buying the software all over again. In addition, if you end up getting a different computer, there are adapters available (I have a couple) that will allow you to connect your hard drive to the new computer via a USB cable and retrieve all your data. The only way that isn't possible is if the HD is toast, but I don't think that is the case in your situation.

Honestly since it is lighting up some lights and beeping (I assume it beeps when it boots up normally) I would try connecting an external screen to it and see if you can get it going that way. You may have to press the function key and the F4 or F5 key at the same time to toggle on the external display but it sounds to me like it is at least possible that the screen just took a dump. If that's the case you should be able to run it with a monitor on it to at least see whether that is the case.

Let me know if there is something I can do to help. I am not a computer expert, but I do have a fair amount of experience with this sort of thing. I'm no IT guy but once upon a time I was Network Plus certified and did a fair amount of IT work. I will help however I can. It sucks being SOL (stuck off line) LOL.

And I am close enough to help some too! I may be heading up that way this weekend or next week some evening with my dad to look at an IDI he has his eye on. I think it is in Astabula, so we would be going sort of your direction. I'd be happy to help for a tour of the shop!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Your computer guy is trying to take advantage of you. Pull your hd and ram and put that in a different computer.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by glovemeister
Your computer guy is trying to take advantage of you. Pull your hd and ram and put that in a different computer.
I agree 100%, take the hd and copy the info onto an external storage, that way you have two copies. If one attempt at putting it into another laptop fails then you have a backup copy.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:05 AM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Hard drive enclosure for the hard drive. Basically a big flash drive and can work on any pc. Just make a folder with shortcuts to the ***** files for each program you use. Really easy. Before you do anything modifying the files get a external hard drive and back that one up to it just in case.

More then likely another laptop same OS as your current would be about the same price. If the hp is a vista machine you need another vista machine but they can be had for couple hundred bucks on ebay.

Can you post a video of the beeps? They are bios beeps and are more or less DTC's.

Model number too as some are different then others.

And sticking it another computer and trying to boot will more then likely will not work as the hardware is different. Different drivers and may not boot.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:52 AM
deadsenator
Senior User
Jim,

I would say that is your best (and cheapest) bet to getting a working system again is to replace the mobo. I have done about a dozen motherboard swaps in laptops over the last year or two. Many more over the years. Everyone gives me the hard problems, so I do this stuff all the time. I can do most of them in about an hour while I watch teevee. Just like you with injectors.

Some laptops are easier than others to crack apart and swap components. I'd bet your HP is pretty easy. Motherboards for laptops run anywhere from $75 up to $175, but the price obviously depends on many factors. How new it is tends to be the biggest factor. You can buy your whole laptop for ~$300.

This fleaBay search reveals a few motherboard hits for your laptop:

HP 8530w motherboard | eBay

The one at the top for $95 would be my pick. Seller rating and some sort of guarantee that it will work are two strong factors. This guy looks okay.

The other thing I would say is that some models of laptops use different motherboards. Same model number, but the motherboard might be made by a different vendor or its a different revision. I always try and match as close as I can. If I can up the revision, I do that. This is mostly important if it has a particular type of video card. Don't think you have to worry about that with this one.

If you look closely at that auction photo, you'll notice all the connectors on the board. Those all need to be disconnect and hooked back up. The method to do this is to keep close track as you are dissembling your current system. Keep good notes, take pics if you need to, lay out all your screws and keep them ordered. Number them even. Then, take your new motherboard and reverse all those steps. Easy!

Look at what your current motherboard has and compare it to what your "new" board doesn't have. Every component, including the CPU will need to be removed and swapped into your new board. For the proc, pull the heatsink/fan array and clean the CPU with 95% isopropyl alcohol or better (not vodka or regular rubbing alcohol). Get all the old thermal grease (or thermal pad) off. Turn the small screw on the CPU socket to release the tension on the processor. Remove the CPU (take note of pin orientation!) and place it in your new board straight away and lock it down. Don't give it a chance to get damaged or filthy out in the world. Before you put the cleaned heatsink back on, use good quality thermal grease. I use Arctic Silver and only a enough to call an overly large grain of rice. It spreads out very thin, so you do not need gobs. Use too much and it will find its way out to the board.

Ribbon cables are sometimes the most difficult because the connectors are so pliable and have short reaches. Be gentle, look for clips, set aside an hour or two and you can do it. PM me if you need help. I'd do it for you, but I'm all the way over here!

I think you can handle it.

---

Bonus content:

I found a doc that shows disassembly of your laptop. Google search "hp 8530w teardown". I have the pdf file if you want it. I'll email it to you.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Thanks for all the info.

Tried another monitor, did nothing.

Beeps: 3 short, 4 short, then single. I could not find anything positive online as to what they mean. I asked the tech guy if he could find out. After a few seconds of typing on his store computer, he rotates the screen and showed me all the same info on a google search that I found. Seriously? Google?

Nearest info I could find (not sure if it applied to my specific computer) said bad RAM connection or something, and bad video card/board. I tried pulling and swapping ram, did nothing.
He said video card is soldered to motherboard so if that's bad then the mother board needs replaced, same as if any other chip/board/item is bad.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the video card is bad then that would certainly explain why the external monitor won't work either. And I would tend to agree with him that the mother board will need to be replaced. I just don't agree that you can't get the HDD to work in another machine that is identical. I would eBay myself a new motherboard and then swap it in there. Either that, or buy a new (different) laptop and then recover all that data to the new machine. My offer stands, let me know if there is something I can do to help.

Quick Reply: OT: Computer geeks, I need your help.