Transmisson Flush - Heated? or Not? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Transmisson Flush - Heated? or Not?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-12-2012, 11:58 AM
beachhboyy's Avatar
beachhboyy beachhboyy is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Howell, Michigan
Posts: 33
beachhboyy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmisson Flush - Heated? or Not?

Trying to keep up on my maintence and recently rolled over 60,000 miles.
I have read before that the truck requires a heated transmission flush in order to be done right, but that also can be depending on if the filter is inside the transmission or on the outside.
The truck is an 2008 F-250 but I'm not sure if it's a Job 1 or what filter it has.

I called my local dealer, Brighton Ford in Michigan, and the service mananger told me a heated flush is not required on that truck and just a normal transmission flush would cost me $209.
I'm not sure if I should just have that done or continue to call around to other dealers until I find one that will do a heated for a resonable price?

What do you guys recommend me doing? Or what does the truck require?
Any help or comments would be greatly appreacited. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM
ATX F250 ATX F250 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 114
ATX F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have heard that transmission flushes are not good for them anyway. I was always told to just change the fluid and be done with it, but that was on non F250 transmissions, so maybe its different. Hopefully somebody that knows something will chime in...Im ready to learn something.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 PM
ljutic ss's Avatar
ljutic ss ljutic ss is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Green Lane, Pa.
Posts: 2,392
ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.
The dealer is telling you that because he doesn't have a hot flush machine. If you don't hot flush your never going to replace the old fluid in the torque converter. You mind as well drop the pan yourself and change the filter providing it is a internal build and replace the 8-10 quarts. I just had a hot flush done at my Ford dealer about 6 weeks ago. $180 minus filter.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 PM
RM2738's Avatar
RM2738 RM2738 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 2,195
RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX F250 View Post
I have heard that transmission flushes are not good for them anyway. I was always told to just change the fluid and be done with it, but that was on non F250 transmissions, so maybe its different. Hopefully somebody that knows something will chime in...Im ready to learn something.

I heard that somewhere as well. I flushed my 99 7.3 and had to have the tranny rebuilt a week later. Probably not related, but one heck of a coincidence. And why heated?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 AM
R-T0r21on R-T0r21on is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Centerbrook, Ct.
Posts: 480
R-T0r21on is starting off with a positive reputation.
if you are going to have it flushed, then it should be heated. Ford recommends just the drain, filter replaced, and refill as long as it is just a routine service.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 AM
ljutic ss's Avatar
ljutic ss ljutic ss is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Green Lane, Pa.
Posts: 2,392
ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.ljutic ss has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2738 View Post
I heard that somewhere as well. I flushed my 99 7.3 and had to have the tranny rebuilt a week later. Probably not related, but one heck of a coincidence. And why heated?


Without the heat you will never exchange all the old fluid. There is a thermostat located in the valve body which opens around 160 degrees.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:59 AM
craftsmangary's Avatar
craftsmangary craftsmangary is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 351
craftsmangary is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have looked for a "heated machine" and even google search, I can't find any manufactures that even make such a machine, the only thing that I found is is a heated flusher that is meant to flush transmission coolers, for trans shops to use when a transmission failed. If anybody can find a manfacture that offers one post it up I'd like to see it. I looked in AllData and Mitchell in the lated model Ford section and they doesn't say anything about "heated" flush. I have a T-Tech 500 flush machine and used it on many Fords, if the trans is hot and fluid is flowing through the cooler you will get about 6-10 quarts exchanged then it will stop flowing untill it get hot again then you can get the rest of the fluid to exchange.
So the solution to the problen that I see is to remove the bypass, find the
correct fittings to connect the flush machine directly to the cooler ports on the transmission case, do the flush, then put the bypass back on. Thats the best way I can think of to do it, IDK???
.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 AM
thatsme's Avatar
thatsme thatsme is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 93
thatsme is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just did mine at 31,000 mi. Dropped pan & changed filter, added 9qts. Very easy to do. Will continue every 30,000 mi. Do this on all my vehicles works great.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 AM
AGE mechanic AGE mechanic is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 806
AGE mechanic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmangary View Post
I have looked for a "heated machine" and even google search, I can't find any manufactures that even make such a machine, the only thing that I found is is a heated flusher that is meant to flush transmission coolers, for trans shops to use when a transmission failed. If anybody can find a manfacture that offers one post it up I'd like to see it. I looked in AllData and Mitchell in the lated model Ford section and they doesn't say anything about "heated" flush. I have a T-Tech 500 flush machine and used it on many Fords, if the trans is hot and fluid is flowing through the cooler you will get about 6-10 quarts exchanged then it will stop flowing untill it get hot again then you can get the rest of the fluid to exchange.
So the solution to the problen that I see is to remove the bypass, find the
correct fittings to connect the flush machine directly to the cooler ports on the transmission case, do the flush, then put the bypass back on. Thats the best way I can think of to do it, IDK???
.
HotFlush - Transmission Cooler Flusher
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:08 PM
craftsmangary's Avatar
craftsmangary craftsmangary is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 351
craftsmangary is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGE mechanic View Post
That's a cooler flusher, that is not going to exchange the oil in your transmission.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Revised Torqshift Transmission Flush Procedure creator 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 16 10-11-2016 11:28 AM
Anyone do BG transmission service ? Paul_inCT 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 56 11-16-2014 09:04 PM
Transmission Flush vs. Drain and Fill?? Jjk27 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 77 08-02-2013 02:44 PM
TorqShift Transmission Flush Question Tom 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 65 03-25-2010 06:05 PM
Complete Transmission Failure at 53,000 miles: Caused by Flush. Nick O'Teen 2004 - 2008 F150 21 09-08-2007 01:25 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
2002, cooler, edge, f250, flush, ford, transmission, trtans, ttech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.