1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

is this 1952 f1 worth the asking price???? help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM
cosmaar1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this 1952 f1 worth the asking price???? help!!!!

I need some help guys. I am new to the truck world and honestly, I do not know what trucks go for. I have seen 1951 and 52 trucks go from as little as $1500 to $100,000. If you guys could give me some help on this I would appreciate it. Here is a summary of the truck. EDIT, i forgot to post the price of the truck. the guy is asking 7,000, but i think i can get him down to 6500.
  • It has been sitting in a barn for the last 20 years
  • never been restored
  • has a new starter, fuel pump, fuel lines, radiator hoses, battery and master cylinder
  • needs exhaust work, very loud
  • has the original v-8 and 3 speed manual tranny
  • engine starts easily, idles, and runs good
  • lights do not work, it either needs a 12v conversion or fixed so the 6v works
  • cab floor, cab, dashboard, cab corners, roof, doors, fenders, hood, grill all are in good/solid condition. it needs new door glass and some other misc window repairs
the link to my album where these pics are located is below. again, give me any insight you can. thanks!!!!!!

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - cosmaar1's Album: 1952 f1

Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 AM
jonf
Senior User
Yes

Yes it IS worth the asking price. I bought a bargain $1,500 F-1 and now have a lot more than his asking price in mine and it isn't painted yet.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:57 AM
cosmaar1
Junior User
Originally Posted by jonf
Yes it IS worth the asking price. I bought a bargain $1,500 F-1 and now have a lot more than his asking price in mine and it isn't painted yet.
the issues i see are mostly with some spot fender work, running boards (probably need replaced), and the interior.

any other thoughts from anyone else?!?!?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Honestly, based on the pics, you need to try to get him down to about $5000 at least (it would go even cheaper in the West). You don't have a close-up pic of the front fenders, especially at the seam. But from what I can see, it looks like they're possibly bondoed on the back aspect of that seam as it enters the wheel well. As time goes by, you'll see that the front fenders are the gold standard in judging the overall body condition of one of these trucks--or at least that's my opinion. They can be hard to patch, and there are NO metal replacements, only fiberglass (which isn't a bad thing in the salty environment of Ohio). Also, it appears that the rear cab corners have been filled somewhat. The wood in the bed is pretty rough too, and the exhaust will take a good chunk of change to fix. But, don't let me discourage you, it looks to be a pretty decent truck. I'm just pointing out things that might give you more leverage in negotiating with the owner. Good luck with it.

I have NEVER seen a hose run from the oil bath breather down to the oil filler cap like that. What the heck is that about?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 AM
69taposer
Junior User
I think thats a good price. For comparison's sake, I just bought this for $9500:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-55-f100.html

...there are several more pix in my gallery.

I have restored a few cars over the past 15 years and after having to have 1 car totally rebuilt (into an entirely new '69 Firebird shell) I now have "2 rules" that I follow: 1. Spend as much as you can afford on your "foundation." Depending on your skills, restoring a body can escalate costs quickly (especially if relying on a body shop). Having a good base will pay dividends. 2. Not sure where you or the truck is located, but I now try to buy vehicles from "dry climate' states. My wife's truck above is being shipped from colorado (7" of rain per year) and it has been covered/garaged since 1985. My other current build is a '73 camaro from CA that has been media blasted and has zero rot. The $1000-$1500 it costs me to ship from dry states to New England is saved 2-3x over restoring a "local" vehicle.

...the time and money a good foundation will save you cannot be understated.

What state is the truck located in? Looking at some of the components that have been touched up (fenders), can be a good indication of what may lurk below the paint in other areas. Getting a good look at the cab corners, floor, window surrounds etc. will be very important to determining your restoration costs/time.

For a complete truck in decent shape I still say it is a good deal. Just don't under estimate the cost and time that may required to repair it if you plan on stripping it down.

What are your resto plans? What can you do in your own garage vs. outsourcing? What is your budget? What is your time line? ...all these things will determine wether this is a good deal for you or not.

Just my 3 cents.

Phil

Old 06-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Price seams high... I am just working from pics... but I see what looks like prior repairs to cab corners, needs fenders repaired, and running boards. It has a lot going for it self. I would be trying to get it for about $3k to $4500.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
That hose could be hiding a significant amount of blow-by. Pop the hose off and start it and see what happens. I've only ever seen that done on very tired engines to hide the fumes spewing out of the crankcase. Looks like a nice truck though, I agree with the above post, long experience has taught me to buy the best truck you can afford to start with, it will be cheaper in the long run I promise you.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Cossmar1

1. Welcome!
2. None of these trucks priced that mere mortals can afford will be problem free. These are old trucks that generally were put to work and sometimes left alone for extended periods after their jobs were taken by newer versions.
3. The most telling view is going to be looking up at the chassis. You'll be looking for signs of rot or neglect. The grease points should show evidence of attention (usually accumulated overflow), the frame should be sound all over, the hubs and suspension should not be rusted out.
4. There is something a bit off on the appearance of the cab from the pics. From the back, it appears lower on the driver's side while the front bumper is lower on the same side. Look at the cab mounts while crawling around to make sure you know what you're getting.
5. For an unrestored truck, the running boards and body seem to have had some work done. There isn't any surface rust on the running boards, yet they are rusted through in the usual places - not typical. I'm with Doc on the fenders.

So the good news? The engine runs and, presuming the brakes now work, the truck can be stopped safely. All the big parts appear to be present in mostly the right places. The parts that have been replaced are important and worth a few hundred dollars.

If your intention is to get a truck and drive it and fix it - in that order - you can't go wrong. Haggle on the price if you wish, but trade off the location with the condition and your ability to inspect before you buy.

If it were me, I would offer $5500 and settle for $6000 to $6500 (don't offer where you expect to end up, of course) presuming it has a clean title.

Let us know how you decide.

DW

Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Picture number 8 shows significant misalignment between the cab and the bed. Possible cab mount failure? "Never restored" but it needs some body work. It is not a rust free original. I would want to see it in person or have someone evaluate it who knew what they were looking for.
Doc, that hose is collecting blowby gasses and sucking them into the induction system, just like modern iron.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Here's the thing... are you going for a 100-point restored truck, a clean-enough fun truck, or are you going to hack it all up and modernize it? I'd say it falls in the clean-enough category now, very complete. There is rust poking thru on the cab corners and doors, probably on the front fender "usual" places. Whether it's a pinhole or silver-dollar sized, you either live with it, or fix it. Fixing involves a lot more work and cost.

May be just the picture, but it looks like the front lower valance has been banging down on the frame horns?

I think the $5 - 5.5k price range is as high as I'd go, I'd leave it largely as-is, and just drive it, after verifying the brakes are in good shape. A truck that's ready to drive (however cautiously) puts you way ahead of most.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:32 PM
cosmaar1
Junior User
To answer some of your questions before I give my final answer on this truck...
I have all of the tools necessary to restore this truck. I am currently restoring a 71 Chevelle as my first restoration (I am only 24). I bought the car in March of 2010 so I have been at it for a while. To me, having issues with the truck isn’t a problem, but I want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into with this truck before a possible purchase. I was always into the old classic cars, so I know what to expect with them, but trucks on the other hand I needed help with. That’s why I came to you guys! J
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
After reading some of your posts and talking with other friends of mine, I have decided to not purchase this truck. I live in Ohio and this truck is from Ohio. It is actually an eBay ad and ends tonight, that is why I was asking what you would do. I have been looking for a truck for months and have found trucks that I like, but when I call I get the same old story... SOLD. I was excited about this truck, but I want to be able to enjoy it right off the bat unlike I did with my Chevelle. I beat myself up everyday because I want to drive my Chevelle, but since I haven’t had a lot of time on my hands recently, it still sits on the rotisserie.
<o></o>
I appreciate everyone’s help, and if you find one that’s in good condition, let me know! I am looking for an 51-52 f1! Thanks again!
<o></o>
-Aaron

Old 06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
I agree with Doc.. $5 K tops, maybe $4.5. I just bought a '51 panel a little worse than that w/LTDII IFS/SBC/Ford 9" for $5k in W. PA. and I was

Old 06-12-2012, 03:00 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Ford : F-100 F-1 Ford : F-100 F-1 | eBay

It's another truck from a seller in Massilon?! Where is this guy getting them??

Old 06-12-2012, 03:03 PM
69taposer
Junior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Ford : F-100 F-1 Ford : F-100 F-1 | eBay

It's another truck from a seller in Massilon?! Where is this guy getting them??
4th pic down you can see 3 more in the background in addition to the one he is selling!

Phil

Old 06-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 69taposer
4th pic down you can see 3 more in the background in addition to the one he is selling!

Phil
What the heck!? Is this the guy who sold that one for over 10 grand a few months ago?

Quick Reply: is this 1952 f1 worth the asking price???? help!!!!