Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

making 92 e40d reliable...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Bikedude987
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
making 92 e40d reliable...

What are some general rebuild/upgrade procedures I can do to make my 1992 (134k miles) e40d more robust/reliable? I would like to keep costs reasonable as well. not no budget, but there IS a budget...

Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Pump needs to be replaced with a newer F5 unit, shift kit, replace the solenoid pack with a new ford one not aftermarket, and update it to '95 specs. I believe some machining is needed for a bearing in the tailshaft support instead of a bushing.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Bikedude987
Junior User
hmmm.. can you elaborate on "'95 specs"?

is there a shift kit you would recommend?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:42 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just installed part of a TransGo kit in my sons E4OD. It came with parts to upgrade the pump and some internals. (we didn't do this part because the tranny was still in the truck) If you have yours out and appart then I would go with the TransGo kit.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Bikedude987
Junior User
What transgo kit are you talking about that has the pump upgrade?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the one we used: TransGo Performance E4OD-HD2 - TransGo Performance Shift Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com Not sure what the pump mods are but there was a page in the install directions on changing a valve and spring I think.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:57 AM
86F150302
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Punisher valvebody is the best thing you can do to an E4OD.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedude987
What are some general rebuild/upgrade procedures I can do to make my 1992 (134k miles) e40d more robust/reliable? I would like to keep costs reasonable as well. not no budget, but there IS a budget...
1.keep the fluid changed regularly.
2.never continue to drive the truck (besides gently easing her on home) with the OD light flashing.
3.install a trans temp gauge.don't let it run hot for any length of time.
4.install a valve body & front pump shift kit.
5.ditch the stock converter for a HD aftermarket.
6.upgrade to the viton front pump seal.
7.install an external cooler only after recording your normal temps.you don't want to over cool a trans for anything.don't get carried away with size (or just use external t-stat.) locking converters make the trans run much cooler than in the C6 days.

there's more you can do of course.but i wouldn't bother unless completely rebuilding it,which your not since it's still running fine i take it? i suppose you could update the front pump,but i didn't bother when i was just in there.mine runs great and cool as is,so i saw no personal need.last thing i need is for her to run any cooler.already need to change the location of my external t-stat as is to help her temps raise in all but a few of Maine's months.
general rule of thumb trans temps @ the test port/pan:
150 min
175 perfect
200 while towing (though not preferred,it won't hurt anything if slightly higher.just make sure to change fluid more often! follow temp/fluid flush charts)

it likely already is,but be sure to upgrade to the latter style MLPS connection.
it also doesn't hurt to remove all the trans electrical plugs every couple years to clean,and grease either.
for diesel engines: change the FIPL (TPS) every 50k miles and set accordingly.
lastly,and again: do not continue to operate the trans in safety mode! (od light flashing) harsh,late shifts occur if not driving real easy,and this banging into gear at high rpms is not easy on internals.park it and have her towed if need be.that's way cheaper than a trans rebuild.9 times out of 10,it's simply a small,inexpensive (compared to trans replacement) sensor,fuse,chaffed wire issue anyway.no reason to let such a cheap part kill a nice trans.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM
PDR60
Mountain Pass
There is much you can do to improve performance and reliability of the E4OD. being a 92 you'll of course need a series F5 pump. The reasoen being the pump puts out a higher volume of fluid then the series f89 pump. Then there is the internals. By judiciously replacing the right peices stregnth and durability can be enhanced quite a bit. One thing I can wholely recommend if the Sonnax Sure Cure kit for the unit. It has the parts to correct many of the shifting and pressure problems involved. You won't need a shift kit with the Sure Cure as it's part of the overall approach to the rebuild of the unit and included.

One place to start is get the ASTG manual and also the upgrades manual. It will point you in the right direction. I have a complete list of upgrades at the house. I'll post it tonight and I'm also putting together a how-to on the rebuild process for the E4OD.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Bikedude987
Junior User
Originally Posted by PDR60
There is much you can do to improve performance and reliability of the E4OD. being a 92 you'll of course need a series F5 pump. The reasoen being the pump puts out a higher volume of fluid then the series f89 pump. Then there is the internals. By judiciously replacing the right peices stregnth and durability can be enhanced quite a bit. One thing I can wholely recommend if the Sonnax Sure Cure kit for the unit. It has the parts to correct many of the shifting and pressure problems involved. You won't need a shift kit with the Sure Cure as it's part of the overall approach to the rebuild of the unit and included.

One place to start is get the ASTG manual and also the upgrades manual. It will point you in the right direction. I have a complete list of upgrades at the house. I'll post it tonight and I'm also putting together a how-to on the rebuild process for the E4OD.

This info will be much appreciated!

Thank you for everyone's contribution as well. I'll have to look into that sonnax kit...

Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 PM
PDR60
Mountain Pass
As promised:

<style> <!-- BODY,DIV,TABLE,THEAD,TBODY,TFOOT,TR,TH,TD,P { font-family:"Arial"; font-size:x-small } --> </style> <table frame="VOID" rules="NONE" border="0" cellspacing="0" cols="4"> <colgroup><col width="251"><col width="181"><col width="86"><col width="86"></colgroup> <tbody> <tr> <td height="19" width="251" align="LEFT">forward pressure plate</td> <td width="181" align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td width="86" align="LEFT">26771BA</td> <td width="86" align="RIGHT">$7.26</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">direct pressure plate</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">26771BA</td> <td align="RIGHT">$7.26</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Bushing kit</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">26602</td> <td align="RIGHT">$23.22</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Torrington bearing kit</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">26669</td> <td align="RIGHT">$27.63</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Overdrive pressure plate</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">26771EA</td> <td align="RIGHT">$11.05</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Main Pressure regulator spring</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">362424-10A</td> <td align="RIGHT">$1.49</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Torque Converter nuts (4)</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">26761</td> <td align="RIGHT">$1.44</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Overdrive Band</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">26995B</td> <td align="RIGHT">$10.85</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Center support update kit</td> <td align="LEFT">Ebay ctpowertrain</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$77.69</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Torque Converter</td> <td align="LEFT">ARI industries</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$251.61</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Low Roller Clutch</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">26880B</td> <td align="RIGHT">$10.89</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Master kit</td> <td align="LEFT">Transparts WarehouseEbay</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$154.95</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Accumulator Spring Kit</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">36948-18K</td> <td align="RIGHT">$23.54</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Case Bushing Installer</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">T36008A</td> <td align="RIGHT">$42.66</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Overdrive Roller Clutch upgrade</td> <td align="LEFT">Ebay htparts</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$25.00</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="34" align="LEFT">Overdrive Roller Clutch</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">26882A</td> <td align="RIGHT">$12.74</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="49" align="LEFT">Intermediate 45 Element Sprag</td> <td align="LEFT">Ebay</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$55.00</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">4-Pinion overdrive and shaft</td> <td align="LEFT">Ebay ctpowertrain</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$105.00</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">6-pinion front planet&hub</td> <td align="LEFT">Wholesale trans parts</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$59.99</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Solenoid Body rebuilt</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$79.99</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">6-pinion rear planet & ring gear</td> <td align="LEFT">Ebay ctpowertrain</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$105.00</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">F5 Rebuilt pump</td> <td align="LEFT">Wholesale trans parts</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$154.99</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Deep Oil pan with plug/4wdr</td> <td align="LEFT">A1-parts</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$50.95</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Sonnax sure cure </td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">SC-E4OD</td> <td align="RIGHT">$82.12</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Hardened Sun gear shell</td> <td align="LEFT">Ebay</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$36.40</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="49" align="LEFT">Transmission band servo piston</td> <td align="LEFT">Transmission parts USA</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$5.26</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">Trans filter clip</td> <td align="LEFT">Patc</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$6.95</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="19" align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="LEFT">
</td> <td align="RIGHT">$1,430.93</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> This is the list of updates/upgrades I'm installing, their sources and their part numbers. I've been accumulating them for about a year. Some bare a bit of explanation. The pressure plates are an old drag racing trick. They are thinner plates allowing the use of an additional friction and steel. This is significant as for example, the overdrive only has 2 friction plates stock. We'll increase it by 33%. Because of the mileage on my unit the bushing kit will be used. Of course you'll need a set of busing drivers to get them in and out. The torrington bearing kit is a good replacement with my high mileage unit. The main pressure regulator spring is a pump part and also a sonnax part. It will allow a bit more pressure to develop in the pump. All the pinions are heavy duty parts that are steel instead of aluminum and also have extra pinions. The rest are pretty self explanatory. Its essential that you spend some time with the E4OD update and overhaul manual so you don't purchase the wrong parts.
A buddy built one of these with this exact same parts list behind his 95 power stroke last year. He regularly hauls his two horse trailer with a sleeper from Tn to SC over the Smoky mountains and he has had zero problems. It shifts great and hasn't missed a beat yet.
Re building an automatic isn't too hard, but it isn't forgiving. Check your clearances and buy quality parts and you'll be fine.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:39 PM
PDR60
Mountain Pass
I almost forgot. Depending on what you are going to do and where you are going to operate . Buy an external cooler. Its the best mod you can make for longevity. I put one on mine after the first rebuild at 150,000. It had suffered a broken factory torque converter and I just pulled it and went through it. The only other mod I made the first time through was an upgrade to the F5 pump. Now its got 350,000+ and is beginning to slip. So its going to get all the good stuff this time. Next is the engine then the body work is the final stage. Then its back on the road for another 300,000. These trucks are awesome.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Bikedude987
Junior User
Holy amazing reply, batman! That is phenominal! Looks like i should start looking into some parts accumulation...