Sponsored by: DP Tuner

dipstick tube leak help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Shattered
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dipstick tube leak help please

one bad weekend for me fellas. finished relocating my fuel pump and remote filters, fired truck up and oil was running out of dipstick tube, looked and found the little o-ring was cut and sticking out, pulled it and replaced o-ring with just a standard o-ring, this stopped the leak momentarily. later on I looked to see if truck was leaking, and found oil was now spraying on the frame and fender well of the passenger side, going so far as to hit the shock. is this just due to the o-ring i put on there being the wrong one and allowing the oil to pressurize? I have ordered the right o-ring.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:24 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I would say "Yes". The right O-ring is bevel cut to seal properly.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:30 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
From normal blow-by the internal of the block is pressurized to some extent. The CCV should ventilate the gases for the most part. When you take off your oil fill cap, do you get a bunch of blow-by or normal amounts? You may want to check your CCV set-up.

The o-ring being right or wrong won't cause pressure to build that isn't already there. It may allow it to leak though. Are you sure that is the leak point?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by woodnthings
From normal blow-by the internal of the block is pressurized to some extent. The CCV should ventilate the gases for the most part. When you take off your oil fill cap, do you get a bunch of blow-by or normal amounts? You may want to check your CCV set-up.

The o-ring being right or wrong won't cause pressure to build that isn't already there. It may allow it to leak though. Are you sure that is the leak point?
I was didn't mean to imply there was a pressure build up due to the O-ring, but that the wrong O-ring could be the cause of the leak.
I found the level indicator fitting in the pan loose on my truck and tightened the large nut. It has been "leak-free" since.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Shattered
Senior User
I haven't checked the ccv yet, or the fill cap for excess blow by, will have to do that after work today. this sucks, all I wanted was to be done with the regulated return and see what she does, but instead I have to fix more stuff.... that's just my luck. Murphy's law seems to always fall in my lap.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Shattered
Senior User
Originally Posted by woodnthings

what else could cause the oil to be getting where it's at?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mueckster
I was didn't mean to imply there was a pressure build up due to the O-ring, but that the wrong O-ring could be the cause of the leak.
I found the level indicator fitting in the pan loose on my truck and tightened the large nut. It has been "leak-free" since.
Roland, we're typing at the same time. I dont take it as you are implying it would cause the problem.