2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

To EL or not? King Ranch or not? (shopping currently)

Old 01-01-2013, 12:49 AM
2005X
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To EL or not? King Ranch or not? (shopping currently)

Hey all,

Sold my Excursion couple years ago now for crew cab truck, and with 3 kids and road trips, miss the SUV and third row. Have my truck sold now, so under the gun to do some shopping. Will be a daily driver for now, but do intend on adding a third / commuter car soon to leave parked at least few days a week, fyi.

Set out to look for a 2005 X (excursion) with the V10, but not finding any with low miles and the captain chairs in second row, which are a must per my family. So, now looking at Expeditions, probably used since not too impressed with year end "discounts" on new models, 2010 or 11 preferably. Have a couple questions for those in the know here, as most my experience was in the Excursion forum previously...

1) Stadard or EL? When we road trip with 3 kids and a dog, we tend to pack a lot of junk with us, which was why the X was always handy. Thus, set out looking for EL model, but once I started looking, I wonder if we really need it. One of the differences interior-wise is the split, fold flat third row. So, most the time I will just have one kid back there, and could fold down either the 70 or 30 side for packing "stuff" further forward as needed. Did not have that flexibility in the Excursion with solid third row... So, wondering if there are maneuverability advantages to the regular length Expy? Mainly in parking lots and towing/turning radius? Or will I miss the extra cargo capacity? There is also the cost difference, which varies by model/dealer but the ELs tend to bring few K more...comparably equipped on the used market.

2) King Ranch or Limited leather? Not a big fan of the 2-tone EB seats, although I could live with it for the right deal. I have always had a thing for the King Ranch interiors but was never avail in the Excursion, so could not pursue it. Have seen few in the 2010 -12 Expeditions and although it's a little more "red" than the older models I still really like the looks of it. I think I partly like that that it comes with black carpet, and the Limiteds with tan leather mostly have light carpet (3 kids, not kind to light carpet). So, since I'm shopping anyway, kinda looking for king ranch, but did not know if there is a lot more maintenance, easier to scrath, etc... Seems like the newer / more red KR seats have more finish to them like the other leathers, have they gotten easier to care for, or is it a PITA? I don't mind conditioning every few months if that is all it takes, did that with my other trucks anyway.

Feedback is appreciated, esp if you have owned one with the KR leather in these years...

Thanks, Geoff.

(PS, here is a link to one I'm gonna go drive soon, if we decide don't "need" the EL space. Has everything Im looking for except for DVD player):
Cincinnati Infiniti Used Cars | Infiniti of Cincinnati

Then there is this FSBO option, older than looking for, but it's an EL and looks to very clean with reasonable miles at 105K - but not sure about the "first year" for new model, makes me littls nervous, but it's half price from the asking price of 2011 KR:
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/3499407923.html

Last edited by 2005X; 01-01-2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: revise comments upon proofreading
Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Jesse4812
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
I have an '11 KR at this time. The leather used in the newer KR's are not as hard to keep nice as in the earlier models. My only dislike is that it only comes with the black interior-some like it but I'd rather have a lighter color.

I had an '07 Limited EL that I traded for the '11. I definately recommend the EL. Much more cargo room and the rear doors have the enlarged opening that make for easier access. My next Expedition will be another EL if they keep making them.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Boomer1956
Cross-Country
EL for sure. Big factor, rear hatch closed w/seats down and a full 4x8 sheet plywood drywall etc. fits flat.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:23 PM
GoFar
New User
I currently drive a 2008 Limited SWB, and it's pretty nice. As far as looks, the Limited wins hands down (so as long as you opt for chrome alloy rims and power running boards; makes it look very modern). The seats on the King Ranch is MUCH better, but that's also a near 5% increase in prices used or new just for nicer seats and a stitched center console cover, and lights from an XL.

Since you have 3 children, there shouldn't be a need to opt out for the EL, especially considering most garages are built to a certain length to accommodate large sedans, or of the such. If I had opted out for the EL on my Expedition, it would have suffered major hail damage because it would not have fitted in my garage. It barely fits in my garage now, being a SWB!

If you have the means, I would opt for the more luxurious Lincoln Navigator SWB with the almond leather and the monochrome package, used of course. I'm planning on actually trading my Expedition in for one in the near future; those things are a beauty!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:14 PM
rexster314
Senior User
When we were looking around last year, we went to a Ford/Lincoln dealer. Started out looking at the Expy stock, but didn't see anything interesting. Went to the Lincoln side and found a great looking 12 Navi, but the salesman didn't do any selling whatsoever. Later that day went to a Ford dealer who took some time with us and we wound up driving out a 12 KR 4x4 with a sticker of more than what the Navi was. We are totally satisfied with our purchase.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM
2005X
Senior User
Second and third row legroom in EL ?

Thanks for the advise so far, appreciate it. Tried to go look at the used 2011 KR (SWB) today, and it was sold yesterday, story of my life. But, we did drive a new 2012 Limited (also SWB), just to drive one, as I had not yet. Having come from a Excursion, I must say I enjoyed the "smaller" feeling of the Exp, but hard to tell if that is because it was not the EL or just because the new style Exp with indep suspsension handles better and easier to turn into parking spots. I imagine that even the EL will seem easier to part than my old Excursion.

In trying to help decide about the EL or not, wondering if there is a difference in leg room in the second and third row in the EL or is it all in the cargo area? I know the doors are bigger and that means better access, esp to the third row if need to fold a seat forward, but since we are looking at the capt chairs in second row, we will be walking between them for 3rd row access anyway.

Glad to hear about the KR interior being easier to care for than in older years, looks like it has more of a finish to it. I think I may hold out for used KR as the "discount" price in the new standard lenghth limited even with year end rebates is over $48K + tax and when I get in it, would be thinking "all this money and didn't get the KR leather" to myself... but that's just me.

Thanks again,
geoff

Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 PM
GoFar
New User
If you have a family of 5 and you are opting out for captain chairs for the second row, you'll probably have to look for an EL (unless one child stays with grandma). And since I'm interpreting that you are buying it new, it will be a $3,000 premium over the SWB.

All that extension was reserved for cargo. There's so much legroom for second row and third now already that there isn't any point in making more legroom. Now if this was a Suburban (which I tested before my purchase of my Limited), then I would understand that GM should have made more room for the third row (as well as a deeper foot well) with the extension, but they didn't.

These trucks in general are pretty hefty when it comes to the price to begin with, so might as well go all out and get a KR with navigation, power running boards (for clearance), and the entertainment system to keep the children and the dog quiet.

I never found mileage to be a concern for Ford trucks (classic Ford reliability) when purchasing them (I got my Limited with 90k miles at a steal!), but I would recommend a 2010-2011 KR SWB with all the goodies I listed. You'll save around $10,000 (based on what I'm looking at), which roughly translates to $150 off your monthly payment.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 PM
rexster314
Senior User
We opted for the SWB KR because, as others have posted, it would have stuck out in the car port we presently have. I believe the only option that wasn't on the KR we bought was the remote start. I added the Coastaltech Lockpick after a couple months to gain access to the DVD in motion and to be able to access to the NAV while in motion.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 PM
2005X
Senior User
While I have never thought of my garage as "oversized" I am sure the EL will fit since my Excursion fit and the LOA is couple inches shorter. Couple times I pulled up past my stop (ball on string) and the Excursion tow hooks left imprints in my garage drywall, good memories...

So, garage clearance is not an issue, but everyday pakring is hampered somewhat by the extra length. For our vacations, esp if travelling with my hounddog, would end up having to put one of those Thule cargo carriers on the roof, which I hate the look of, but functional. So, in my mind since the leg room is the same, the tradeoff is saving money and easier parking for local/in town driving vs. cargo carrier for vacations... If we buy new, I will hold out for the KR I think, it is just so darn cool looking!

GP.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 AM
eddiemoney
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2005X
While I have never thought of my garage as "oversized" I am sure the EL will fit since my Excursion fit and the LOA is couple inches shorter. Couple times I pulled up past my stop (ball on string) and the Excursion tow hooks left imprints in my garage drywall, good memories...

So, garage clearance is not an issue, but everyday pakring is hampered somewhat by the extra length. For our vacations, esp if travelling with my hounddog, would end up having to put one of those Thule cargo carriers on the roof, which I hate the look of, but functional. So, in my mind since the leg room is the same, the tradeoff is saving money and easier parking for local/in town driving vs. cargo carrier for vacations... If we buy new, I will hold out for the KR I think, it is just so darn cool looking!

GP.
The EL is about 6 inches shorter than the excursion but maintains similar if not more interior room. The 4x8 hauling enough was to sell me plus it proves handy to not have to use a rooftop to carry luggage....also maybe just my belief but the two tone is awful in looks The limited is the way to go. I didn't get the auto boards (unsure if that is required now)...just more crap to break in my opinion. Also the chrome clad 20s are awful so be glad they now have polished aluminum instead => here is mine

Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 AM
pgonza2723
Senior User
Having both and 3 boys I very much appreciate the room of the L over the regular model. When baseball season is in full swing all that gear eats up room fast. Take a look into Navi's though... why I'm driving one now. Surprisingly it was cheaper than a partially optioned EL EB with same miles. Was a no brainer decision even though I realllllly wanted to stay away from black.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pgonza2723
Having both and 3 boys I very much appreciate the room of the L over the regular model. When baseball season is in full swing all that gear eats up room fast. Take a look into Navi's though... why I'm driving one now. Surprisingly it was cheaper than a partially optioned EL EB with same miles. Was a no brainer decision even though I realllllly wanted to stay away from black.
That's about what I learned a few years ago when we bought our '07 in 2010. You'll pay a premium for an used Expy with options/packages, but the Navi's all seem to cost about the same. By the time you get a fully dressed EB, you'd have a Navi with a few more toys. The KRs are incredible, but priced accordingly.

No regrets on my Navi L.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 AM
Discobee
New User
Expedition EL or Navigator L for sure!!!! More room in the back to load gear. If you buy a regular sized Expy or Navi, you will always have in the back of your mind that "I wish I got the longer version".

Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 AM
2005X
Senior User
I here y'all on the Navi - There was one (2010 Nav L - silver with charcoal interior) that got away before I had my truck sold... The only drawback to me is seems like when you get the chairs in second row on the lincoln's you always get the console too, and I will be using the 3rd row daily and don't want to have to flip a seat up. I know you can pull it off, but then the chairs have no armrests.

I drove a used 2010 EL Eddie Bauer FSBO last night, and it has the plain tan leather which we prefer (not the 2-tone), and is heavily optioned (heated/cooled seats, roof DVD, power running boards, moonroof, SYNC stereo (but not nav touch screen), Pretty close to a Limted on the interior. Gonna pull carfax today and see if any skeletons, but seems very solid with 33k miles.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM
northernsnooker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definetly get the EL. You will be glad you have the space. I have 4 kids and on road trips the EL is packed full.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To EL or not? King Ranch or not? (shopping currently)