6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

How do I know my EGTs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 02:08 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I should also add, I have the basic screen so without it, I don't know oil or transmission temp without the CTS.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
i look at it like this: Ford built this truck to tow, and not worry about it. And not worry about EGT. Unless you have a tuned set up, you shouldnt be worrying about it. If they thought you should be, there would be provisions for it. Just like they provide oil / trans temp info. Also, the computer knows, and if a temp is out of tolerance, the trucks knows how to react accordingly. It will reduce power and tell you its pissed.
Thanks. You folks have made me feel much more comfortable with my truck. I really appreciate it.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:57 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
The trucks already have the capabilty to display all the parameters in the dash monitor. It would be nice if the FoMoCo engineers would allow us to turn it on.
If an edge can display it there is no reason the dash can't display the same info.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by mrjc
Agreed. I tow my 5th wheel toyhauler in mountains. I watch the oil and tranny temps while I am climbing so as not to overdue it, but a real monitering system like the edge, gives me the opportunity to look at many things and in the 6.7 I want to see if soot buildup is going on due to my driving habits and if the regens are working since the dang thing starts regen everytime I pull up to my house. 300 bucks is a good investment to me since I pull a heavy trailer up hills. If you tow a lot, and your curious and feel better about knowing what is happening other than oil and tranny. Edge insight is really a whole bunch of gauges and it only monitors, not tunes. It wont void your warranty. Your stock truck is fine with just the stock gauges and the PCM wont let you hurt the engine if you watch your tranny temp and oil, drain your DFCM and use a good lubricity additive in the tank.
Quick question: What would you consider too hot for the oil temp and trans temp

Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good question. I am curious as well as to what the highest sustain temps are? EOT, EGt,Ect,....

Old 06-10-2012, 10:36 PM
mrjc
Senior User
While I think ones trucks max transmission and oil temps are a personal pref. I like to keep my trans temp under 200 and oil under 210. Trans temp has never exceeded 197 yet, and oil stays around 205 at its highest, this while towing up a mountain pass for about 45 mins at 60 MPH and towing my 15K lb 5er. I go in altitude from 7100 FT to 10,000 Ft where the campsite is.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 PM
desertnomad
Senior User
My logic runs the same as Tuxedo Scorpion's and the lead mechanic at the dealership said the same. I have the Edge I took off my '06 6.0L but haven't hooked it up yet. Just got my 2012 F350 Lariat Ultimate CC LWB 6.7L FX4 today and once I rack up some mileage I'll be towing my 10,000lb fiver up and over Grants Pass, OR. Runs and feels like a dream!

I'm not aware of any lubricity additive that is approved for 6.7L so what are you guys using?

Old 06-11-2012, 11:06 AM
mrjc
Senior User
stanadyne lubricity formula

Old 06-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Huh. I remember typing up a reply to this one a couple days ago, but maybe I didn't press submit. Oh well, looks like you guys beat me to it:

Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
i look at it like this: Ford built this truck to tow, and not worry about it. And not worry about EGT. Unless you have a tuned set up, you shouldnt be worrying about it. If they thought you should be, there would be provisions for it. Just like they provide oil / trans temp info. Also, the computer knows, and if a temp is out of tolerance, the trucks knows how to react accordingly. It will reduce power and tell you its pissed.
What he said.

The PCM constantly monitors EGTs and takes appropriate action to keep them where they need to be. If things start getting hot the PCM will derate in order to keep it from melting down; if this doesn't solve the problem the truck will shut down to prevent damage. These things are pretty smart and the idea is for the driver to not have to worry about this kind of thing. Of course I'm a gadget kind of guy as well, so if you simply want the info it's hard to beat the Edge CTS.

Don't drive your truck thinking you're going to hurt it; you won't. Wide open throttle up the steepest hill you can find with the heaviest trailer you have...all day, every day, you won't hurt a thing.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:18 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Pulling 19K through PA to NY outside of Binghamton yesterday I saw trans temps almost hit 200 and oil would vary between 210-237. Seems like the fan comes on at 236-237.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:45 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have two Scangauges from my previous ford diesels and have not hooked up either one for anymore than "yeah, it works on this"
(and given that they've not released any settings for the 6.7, I wouldn't buy another SG...)

but as others have stated - don't worry about anything other than the fuel gauge !

Has ANYONE heard of any problems related to egt's ?!? I've not and I am on all kinds of forums

Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 PM
mrjc
Senior User
High EGTs can cause HPFP failures

Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
HPFP failures can cause high EGTs

Old 06-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
You will see Oil temps hit 242° while towing up steep greades. The temps drops back off pretty fast as soon as you summit the grade. Someone asked one of the engineers a year ago and the answer was that was with in reason for this truck.

The Edge CTS will show all 4 EGT sensors. Its kinda of interesting to see what a regen does. 1st sensor my only be 700° but back sensor will hit 1200° So you know the system is pouring in extra fuel for the regen.

The Edge also allows you see the soot % so you have some idea of when a regen will take place, It displays a red "R" all during the regen, So you know the duration instead of just when it started. Not that it matters much. I've gotten to where I pretty much ignor regens anymore. They are just a non-event in my driving.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 AM
desertnomad
Senior User
Most of those RV folks who ask about your EGT's are the ones with 6.0L. I know cause that was my previous until my heads blew. Now, I'm hoping I don't have to worry about it, least for awhile. I have the Edge too but haven't hooked it up yet.

Quick Reply: How do I know my EGTs?