6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Air Bag Help for F-450

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:21 AM
rjlabonte
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Bag Help for F-450

I’m seriously considering an air bag system soon for my 2008 Ford F-450 dually.
I pull an 18,000 lbs 5th wheel and it squats too much, 2-3/4 inches, with the pin weight at about 4000 lbs. Would like to level the truck out when hooked up. Riding nose down a little on the 5th wheel with no more adjustments left in shackles, pin box or hitch.
Do you guys have any tech web sites that explain the functionality and technology of these systems (air bag technology) that I can read up on before jumping in?
In addition, what brand system would you recommend?
Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by rjlabonte
I’m seriously considering an air bag system soon for my 2008 Ford F-450 dually.
I pull an 18,000 lbs 5th wheel and it squats too much, 2-3/4 inches, with the pin weight at about 4000 lbs. Would like to level the truck out when hooked up. Riding nose down a little on the 5th wheel with no more adjustments left in shackles, pin box or hitch.
Do you guys have any tech web sites that explain the functionality and technology of these systems (air bag technology) that I can read up on before jumping in?
In addition, what brand system would you recommend?
Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

Just about everything you would want to know can be found on this site somewhere, but be advised there are more opinions than available systems. Some make more sense than others.

I have an '08 F-450 and I installed a set it and forget it system. In my case I want my truck to ride level at all times, regardless of what I'm pulling or what is in the bed. I see no particular reason to want to "fine tune" my settings, the benefits of which I feel are suspect at best.

I installed the system, adjusted the sensor to add the minimum amount of recommended pressure since my truck sits pretty much level as the norm, and I haven't touched it since. I have no gauges because I don't care what the pressure is, and the only switch in the system is an on/off using one of my upfitters as there are times I want the system to stay where it's at and not adjust itself until I'm ready. Usually this only comes into play when I am unhooking.

I never have to give it a thought. If I fill my fuel tank the truck adjusts itself to level. As I burn fuel it does the same. Hook up my 5th wheel, load the truck full of my fattest friends ( with beer supply), and unload, comsume, or unhook all the above in any order and my truck adjusts itself to level. I can't imagine the advantage of a manually adjustable system, other than it's cheaper.

If I recall, on my 450 I used a combination of Ride Rite and Airlift. I think I used Ride Rite bags because their mounting system mounted inboard of the springs instead of on top of the springs, and the Airlift Smart Air compressor system because it uses a magnetic sensor for adjusting pressure instead of a mechanical linkage.

Decide which system is more attractive to you (auto or manual) and which mounting solution you like best, and spend your money. Don't worry too much over Air Lift or Ride Rite. Either one is going to get the job done as far as the bags themselves go. And don't be afraid to mix and match the bags and control system. The only interface between the two is the little plastic hose that plugs into the bags and feed them air. They don't care WHERE it's coming from.

That's my opinion, which is the only one that matters to me in this particular case. Be prepared for a slew of others, some of which as I said earlier will make more sense than others.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 PM
abubba1
Freshman User
I've installed both products on my trucks. Installed the Air Lift system on my 1997 F250HD 4X4 7.3 Diesel back in 1998 and Ride Rite on my 2008 F250 4X4 6.4 Diesel in 2008. Both products work great leveling the trucks out when I drop my Carri-Lite fifth wheel trailer (the lead sled) on the hitch. Both trucks benefited from the air bags with increased handling and leveling under load. The 2008 Superduty more so by eliminating the drive line shudder when taking off from stop with the trailer loaded. Both air bag systems have both performed faultlessly over the years. Whichever manufacturer you decide to go with, Air Lift or Firestone or a combination of the two, you will not be dissatisfied with the end result.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:55 AM
rjlabonte
Junior User
Just got done installing the Air Lift bags and the Wireless Air controller. Need only to hook up the hot wire to one of my truck upfitter switches and will be able to fire up the compressor. Aired up to about 10# with my portable compressor and took it for a little drive. Rides nice solo. Will hook up RV next week when we roll out of MI.

Quick question, does any one know where or how I can run the hot wire up beneath the dash, through the fire wall or what? I have the 2008 F-450.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Will report results after I get a ride with the RV hooked up.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:41 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift up your carpet and pull it back about halfway and you will see a rubber grommet. Pull that out, then you have access to the underside of your truck.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 AM
rjlabonte
Junior User
First I would like to thank everyone who posted for their input and suggestions.

Went ahead and bought the Air Lift bags and Wireless control system. Took me a lot longer than the three hours they say it should take for the install. Biggest problem was getting the rubber spring stop blocks out that are attached to the rails. Rusted nuts and bolts and little room to maneuver a wrench under the truck. Finally got them out with help from my son-in-law.

Got everything installed last week and have now driven some 750 miles towing and a few miles solo. The air bags definitely have improved the towing and solo driving. Can’t tell the RV is behind you until you look in the rear view mirrors. Great ride and very comfortable. Should have done this install four years ago. The wireless control system works great and was very easy to set up.

Most of all though, my original problem, close to 3 inches of squat on the truck and the RV towing nose down are now gone. The bags did the trick.

So, if any of you are considering air bags “Get Ur Done” you won’t regret it.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:08 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
I've had mine about a month now with a Vaiar system and love them. They made the dually feel much more stable and cured the'drive line shudder' when launching. The only other mod I've ever done that has made this much difference is the Hellwig on my Excursion. Both trucks have greatly benefited from their respective mods. If you would ever consider an air tank on yours, check out my thread "Viair system installed..Love it". Again, congrats and happy camping!