Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Freshman User

lotus-eater is starting off with a positive reputation.
F350 Transmission Problems

Hi Folks,

2001 F350 (50k miles). I was heading out last night pulling my 5th wheel, I switched off my overdrive (which I always do when pulling below 50mph) and about 10 miles in to the trip the transmission starts to cycle between gears. When I switch the overdrive on, everything seems fine (no cycling), switch it off and it starts cycling again. No engine light on or anything flashing, everything appears normal except this rapid cycling of gears when the overdrive is off.
Any ideas what might be causing it?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark
Old 06-10-2012, 02:25 PM
New User

Sloppi is starting off with a positive reputation.
When selecting the o drive switch does it go into overdrive or stay in 3rd?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
I don't take my truck out of OD while towing. If it needs to down shift, it will. I will take it out of OD while going down hill.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppi View Post
When selecting the o drive switch does it go into overdrive or stay in 3rd?
It goes in to OD and everything seems fine at that point.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:44 PM
MMC (SS) Bubblehead!

Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.
check that the O/D wiring isn't shorting out. there is a spot where the wires chafe going over the steering column

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothadamthang View Post
After a Google of a few key words, I found this forum post.... My excursion was having the EXACT same problem and symptoms... So I decided to take apart the column to have a look...

After examining the wires that lead from the overdrive button, I notice a tiny spot that had rubbed away with exposed wires.... Apparently, this rubbing came from numerous shifting over the last couple years.... I simple wrapped the wire with electrical tape and repositioned the wire to avoid reoccurrence..
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Freshman User

Thanks, I'll check that, would be an easy fix, fingers crossed.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Posting Guru

kameronth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Any update on if that was the problem?

2011 F150 6.2L 4x4 crew cab
2000 F250 V10 4x4 Off Road-5 Star,Y Pipe,4:30 gears
2007 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 4x4 (wife's ride)
2001 Honda 400ex (weekend stress reliever)
1982 F100 (possibly for sale)
Old 06-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Freshman User

Took it in to the shop on Monday, they called me last night and said it looks like it could be the TC or a clutch or something. It is doing it with the OD on or off now and getting worse (by the time I got it to the shop it wouldn't go in to first gear at all).

They were going to pull the pan today and take a look and let me know later, but from what they were saying, sounds like it might be a rebuild.

So, next question is; what should I do with the rebuild? I've seen a couple of links for heavy duty parts and TC's, and a couple for ready built trannys (BTC and TCI etc.).

What would you guys suggest if I wanted to make the tranny bullet proof for towing?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:59 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
The new Ford re-manufactured 4R100 transmissions are supposed to be much stronger than stock. Might be cheaper than a rebuild.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 06-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Freshman User

Hmm, have to look at that. Looking at several ideas right now.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:56 PM
New User

bonron is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool Leaky Tranny

My 2011 super duty, V-10 started having some shift problems going down grade,,the O/D button didn't want to disengage,,by pressing the button or stepping on the brake, it finally did. When I got home,,the trans was leaking fluid through the pan gasket. The dealler couldn't "duplicate" the problem and said the the trans was OK!!!,,yet it was doing funny things and leaked. No evidence of over heating,,the temp gauge was normal. Am planning a trip this weekend and expect the same to happen again,,what do I tell the next Ford dealer when I have it towed in??
Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Freshman User

Ok, so it's confirmed, the tranny needs rebuilding, there are parts of "something" floating around in there.

So, the guy who has my truck says he'll charge me $1,300 in labor for the rebuild plus parts. Couple of questions;

- Is that a reasonable labor charge?

- What parts should I get put in there if I decide to go with this guy?
Old 06-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonron View Post
My 2011 super duty, V-10 started having some shift problems going down grade,,the O/D button didn't want to disengage,,by pressing the button or stepping on the brake, it finally did. When I got home,,the trans was leaking fluid through the pan gasket. The dealler couldn't "duplicate" the problem and said the the trans was OK!!!,,yet it was doing funny things and leaked. No evidence of over heating,,the temp gauge was normal. Am planning a trip this weekend and expect the same to happen again,,what do I tell the next Ford dealer when I have it towed in??
How is this in any way related to the 4R100 topic you posted this in? If you want an answer you'll be MUCH more likely to get one if you start your own topic.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus-eater View Post
Ok, so it's confirmed, the tranny needs rebuilding, there are parts of "something" floating around in there.

So, the guy who has my truck says he'll charge me $1,300 in labor for the rebuild plus parts. Couple of questions;

- Is that a reasonable labor charge?

- What parts should I get put in there if I decide to go with this guy?
$1300 seems reasonable. If this is a reputable transmission shop and not a national chain I would probably go for it.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1986, 1996, 200, 2001, 2012, 350, 64, f250, f350, ford, forums, fuse, location, model, problems, transmission, truck