Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2012, 02:34 AM
Senior User

vectrex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Integrated Brake Controller weak?

I recently picked up a used 29' 2005 Gear Box Toy Hauler. The unloaded vehicle weight on it is listed as 7658 lbs. I hitched this to my 2005 F-250 6.0, which has the integrated brake controller. I fired up the truck, cranked the brake controller gain up to max (10), put the truck in drive, fully activated the manual control on the brake controller, and took my foot off the brake. The truck was able to creep at idle with the trailer attached.

To isolate whether it was my controller or the trailer, they jacked up one side of the trailer, spun the wheel, and activated the trailer brakes with a test box they use at the dealership. They were able to successfully lock up the brakes on each wheel, each side with this. When we tried the same test with my trucks integrated controller, it stopped the wheels at a much slower rate and didn't lock them up completely. The tech mentioned that he was only seeing ~5 amps from the integrated controller which wasn't substantial. He was able to sense the current change as I actuated the controller, so it was working.

My questions are:

Is there any known problem with the integrated brake controller on the Super Duty's? Any way to further test it?

Any way to boost the current going to the trailer?

If I had to install a third party controller in my truck, is it a huge issue since I already have a controller hard wired in?

Any help appreciated.

-Eric
Old 06-09-2012, 02:51 AM
Senior User

Of course, 2 minutes after posting this, I ran across this PDF which might explain it:

http://www.cvsa.org/programs/documen...2001-04-05.pdf

Have to do another test between 15-25 mph
Old 06-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectrex View Post
Of course, 2 minutes after posting this, I ran across this PDF which might explain it:

http://www.cvsa.org/programs/documen...2001-04-05.pdf

Have to do another test between 15-25 mph
You beat me to it with your PDF.

Two thoughts here, mine of course.

First, in my opinion, reading how Ford's built-in controller operates should be mandatory reading before anyone is allowed to hook trailer to truck.

Secondly, of all the components in the trailer braking systems, all controllers, built-in and after-market, are the most reliable and the most often replaced unnecessarily. The liability issue for manufacturers of these things is huge and liability is probably taken more seriously by manufacturers than all other factors combined.

My two cents worth,

Steve
2010 F150 super cab, box stock, bed slide, ARE bed cover
Old 06-09-2012, 07:18 AM
WV Chapter LDR

Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.
Archion.Uberpimp PartsGuyMatt mvose OVC Archion
That's good read, maybe we could get a mod to sticky it or add it to an FAQ.
#22needsaface - Help serve those who served you.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archion View Post
That's good read, maybe we could get a mod to sticky it or add it to an FAQ.
That would be an excellent idea. The question is continual and I have referred several folks to that same piece in the past. It is widely available on the Internet and I am not sure why there seems to be so little exposure to it.

Steve
Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
I'll add it to the tips folder as soon as I get back to my computer.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
This was ONLY on the '05 MY from my readings. They "fixed" it on the 06MY. 5th wheelers complained that they couldn't check the hook-up as the brakes wouldn't hold. When you take off, when you hear the auto door locks lock, the brakes are also energized.

I check mine by pulling the break-away lanyard then reinsert it as soon as I know I'm solidly hooked to the trailer. Don't leave it disconnected long, you may burn thru a wire.

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 06-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Senior User

The problem is, the information isn't in the manual. The first thing I did was to break out the manual and read about the brake controller operation. I'll have to go back over it next time I'm in the truck, but I don't recall reading anything about the 'smart' nature of the controller. I can understand the logic behind it, but for those of us used to third party controllers, it's an unexpected behavior. Glad to see it's not going to mean a controller replacement.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
You're right...not being in the manual caused a LOT of people complaining to Ford about the controller not holding at 0 MPH. Part two was they also wouldn't replace their mistake with a recall. It can be fixed by replacing the controller with the newer model. From what I understand, removing one from a junked truck will work - direct swap. I didn't try it tho - at least not YET!

Old 06-10-2012, 07:06 AM
Senior User

Fulltimer50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Still does the same thing with a 2011. For me I like the feature of no brake at stop. That way my trailer brake pump doesnt run when stopped at a light.

6/2011 F350 6.7PSD 4X4 CC LB DRW Lariate

2013 Lifestyle LS37RESL 5th Wheel
Old 06-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Postmaster

I often wonder if any device has ever been introduced that has generated as much confusion as Ford's IBC. When initially introduced it was roundly criticized by owners for making movement mandatory to test manual activation. Ford corrected that, but offered owners little in the way of instructions as to operation or troubleshooting. In addition, Ford's IBC offered few of the diagnostic functions found in the best aftermarket controllers.

If one Goggles Ford IBC, the confusion owners have suggests at least a device few would regard as "user friendly" or "intuitive". I have a hard time believing all owners of IBCs are idiots and am of the opinion Ford still misses the boat with this component by failing to provide owners with adequate instruction. It just is not supposed to be this hard!!

My opinion,

Steve

Last edited by RV_Tech; 06-10-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: for clarity
Old 06-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Posting Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 View Post
Still does the same thing with a 2011. For me I like the feature of no brake at stop. That way my trailer brake pump doesnt run when stopped at a light.
Something new to me.... what's a "trailer brake pump" ?

It would be great if there is any Ford tech that does understand the TBC on our trucks to please do an article here on its operation and any differences between the different model years!

Thanks in advance!

'

Old 06-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPofMD View Post
Something new to me.... what's a "trailer brake pump" ?

It would be great if there is any Ford tech that does understand the TBC on our trucks to please do an article here on its operation and any differences between the different model years!

Thanks in advance!
'

electric over hydraulic I believe is what he is referring to.

Steve
Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
I've added the link to the bulletin to the Tips Folder.

Thanks for the heads-up guys!
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Posting Legend

Looks good...thanks John.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels

Tags
blue, brake, built, codes, controler, controller, f150, f250, factory, ford, function, integrated, power, problem, weak, wire