Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Freshman User

99f250craig is starting off with a positive reputation.
fuel pump/ relay

About a year ago I replaced the fuel pump on my wife's 03 4.6 EB expedition. I guess it gave out after 120xxx miles. It started up fine right after we installed it. Now, almost a year later, it has died again. We installed a Ford OEM pump, so I have my doubts that it went out for no reason. In addition, in the past couple of years, the car seems to randomly die for no reason. No warning, no signs, just dies. No codes either. Well, after doing some research, I saw a post about how someone else had a similar problem. They discovered the relay in the fuse box melted. I decided to investigate mine. After removing and disassembling the fuse box, I had a circuit board with five relays on it. I'm assuming that one of these is the R303 fuel pump relay. I'm cannot seem to figure out which one it is. There are five in a row and the middle one has what appears to be a burn bubble on the bottom side. Can someone tell me if this is the correct relay? Also, Would this have caused my new pump to short out? Thanks

Thomas
Old 06-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
The fuel pump relay is not in the fuse box.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
The fuel pump relay is not in the fuse box.
OK, so tell me where is it? According to the owners manual, it is located in the fuse panel on the passenger-side kick panel. I am not aware of any other power distribution locations on this vehicle. It clearly states that the R303 "fuel pump relay" is located in the passenger-side fuse panel. It is also a non-serviceable relay as it is built in the circuit board.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
What I meant is that it is not one of the exposed accessible relays that you can change.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
What I meant is that it is not one of the exposed accessible relays that you can change.
I know, I had to take the fuse box apart to see the built in relays on the circuit board. One of them appears to have a hotspot on it. I was asking if the middle relay on that board was for the fuel pump since it was the one that looked damaged. I have already ordered a new fuse panel just to be safe.

How do you test the fuel pump outside of the tank? Can you put 12 volts directly to the pump and make it run?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99f250craig View Post
Can you put 12 volts directly to the pump and make it run?
Yes but don't let it run long at all. If it's still good running it dry can ruin it fast.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:55 AM
New User

jc43white is starting off with a positive reputation.
R303

Quote:
Can you tell me where it is located?
Old 08-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc43white View Post
Can you tell me where it is located?
Read this: http://www.justanswer.com/ford/2bu7s...7-located.html
Old 08-21-2013, 03:23 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
06, 07, 1999, 360, diesel, econoline, expedition, f250, ford, fuel, gas, power, pump, r303, relay