1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Need New Fuel Tank. Vendor/Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 AM
gravityfiend
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new steel tank arrived. To my surprise it isn't Chinese, despite being only $225.00 to my door.

Turns out that this is the tank I mentioned having a nickle coating early in this thread. It isn't green like the OEM flaky stuff, but it looks more like galvanized to my eyes.

I was told by Keystone that it was not available for my 2002. The "GEEK" says it fits. Hope it does.

I may just mount the thing and if it delaminantes too, replace it with a plastic one.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:12 AM
gravityfiend
New User
I bought this tank from Parts Geek, BTW.

2 years later. Still good, it seems.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:19 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
thanks for re-posting results....

Old 06-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Clem's Cousin
Senior User
Glad to hear your Spectra Premium tank is holding up. I also replaced my '79 E-150 tank with a Specta last September. I bought it through AutoZone's website and got free shipping to my door (actually, the nice FedEx guy carried it into my garage) plus a 20% discount for spending over $100 (saved me about $35).

Old 08-28-2014, 04:01 AM
gravityfiend
New User
Exclamation NEWS FLASH! 3rd Tank TANKS!

Spectra Fuel Tank Succumbs to Flakiness!

Same old story...this one "tanked" too. You think the coiner of that terminology was one of us Ford Truck Enthusiasts?

A $200 plastic tank from 2011 E250 V10 salvage yard special is installed, thus putting a happy ending to the saga of the flaked and fubarred tankS.

I was told it would not work because of the float level-sending/pick-up unit not being identical. I was unwilling to accept that as a show stopper.

It turns out that there are three issues needing resolution. None of them present a hugely difficult puzzle.

1) I bought the tank along with the hanging straps. My tank guts dropped in with only minor trimming of the top flange. There is no surgical precision required here; nothing to fear. You'll see what needs to be done. I recommend a dremmel with a cutting wheel or 5. Trim to fit.

2) for my 02 diesel, this tank is deeper than the OEM steel unit. The gauge float/fuel pick-up will ride higher off the bottom. This will result in your gauge showing fuel level lower than before. For me, this was worth the trade to never have this aggrevation again.

3) My 02's OEM tank had a 3/4"-ish vent line running parallel to the filler neck up to the cap. The newer tank did not. Instead, the 2011 replacement had a smaller diameter y'ed hose with two small one way valves. I installed it with the Y vent. It would not accept fuel; even with the lightest squeeze. It kept purging out the filler neck.

I dropped the tank, removed the sending/pick-up, drilled a 7/8ths hole, installed a pvc fitting neck flange I made from two pieces of hardware store fittings. One was a necked flange that I pushed through the hole I drilled (next to the sending/pickup unit hole) leaving the flange pressed against the pass through holes rim. The other was an i.d./o.d. match for the inner. Its flange rested against the outside of the tank. Of course, I PVC cemented those pieces and attach the original vent hose.

My diesel is happy these days. I'm confident it wont suffer this particular malady ever again!

I hope this helps you who are searching for an answer as I was. I recommend anyone with the delamination/rust issue go for the palstic tank and not waste as much time, money and effort as I did.

I will up date if I discover any additional issues related to the project.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Great update, always nice to hear how something is working a few days later.

If you had or have any photos of your ordeal that would be very much appreciated here I'm sure.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:50 PM
gravityfiend
New User
By the way, I have run through about 15 tanks of diesel after this tank change. My 7.3 hasn't been this happy for a long time.I was just complimented on its healthy sound this morning.

This is the only picture I captured and its obviously taken with my cell phone. I'm betting it's not going to be very helpful. Project isnt terrible at all. Id rate it a 2 on a 5 wrench scale.

I'll check back every few days for a week or so and answer any questions I see. I'm kind of an infrequent visitor normally but this forum has been of value to me and I would have loved to have found this info when I first had the issue. Hopefully it will be of value to someone else.

The filler and vent hose are in reality indexed to the drivers left. I have one tanks front positioned on the left side and ones back end on the left side. I did not take the shots expecting to post them. Sorry if they confuse you. It really is a pretty straight bolt-on.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:40 PM
e350daBeast
New User
What about this tank:

Gravity, I appreciate your posts as I am having the delaminating issue also. I've read a lot of threads and would like it done right, but don't want to spend the $1800 on an aftermarket tank.
I've found this tank for $220 shipped to me here in Hawaii: Dorman Products - 576-143
Dorman 576-143 Fuel Tank. It is painted on the outside and bare steel on the inside. I'm waiting to hear back again from Dorman as to what exactly they mean by bare steel (is it galvanized, aluminized, raw, etc.). If it is raw steel, wouldn't it rust? What about coating this new tank?
I like your plastic tank, but I can't use it because I have a 4x4 conversion and have to chop the tank shorter...unless you know of a shorter (60") plastic tank...
Mahalo!