Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Senior User

piratius is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tailgate Adjustment Question

Hey guys, I feel silly asking this question, but...

How do you adjust the latch on a styleside tailgate? I sprayed the latch hinges/mechanism and the two end units with penetrating oil and it freed up really nicely, but the end pins won't pull back far enough to allow the brackets to clear, so the tailgate won't lower.

I have it off the truck currently, was going to clean it up/paint it before I installed it, and remembered that it was a PAIN to get it off the old bed because of this exact problem

Any advice on adjusting the darn thing?

-Brad
Old 06-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Post when I get chance

bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Are both hinge rods hooked to the latch. Sometimes the plastic clips holding them in the latch break and then one rod pops out. If they are, it could be that the latch itself bent and now won't open up far enough to engage the hinges all the way.

77 F250 4x4 Highboy 521 stroker
75 F250 2wd Supercab 460
Old 06-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Senior User

The two plastic clips on the handle (latch?) end are fine. I haven't pulled apart the outsides to see if they're still intact. There seems to be about 1/2" of play between where you start pulling and when the latches start moving.

-Brad
Old 06-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Post Fiend

mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.
Sometimes you have to take the rods out and put a bend in them to get enough pull out of them to release the latches.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Senior User

That is also an excellent suggestion. I'm going to take the latch out tomorrow morning and see if it was bent by the previous owner. Judging by how stiff/frozen the mechanism was when I bought it, it wouldn't surprise me if he'd just kept yanking on it and bent or broken something.

Putting an extra bend in the rods also seems like a good idea if all else fails - should I heat it with a torch until it's glowing, then bend it and quench it? Or do you think bending cold is fine? I suppose the easiest way would be to heat it, un-bend the end that goes through the latch on the side, and then re-bend it about 1/4" closer in.

-Brad
Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Elder User

Blue and White is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd unscrew the handle mechanism and pull it all out for a look see. In addition to the above suggestions, you may be able to adjust the catches on the side out a little so less movement of the bolts is required to open it.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue and White View Post
I'd unscrew the handle mechanism and pull it all out for a look see. In addition to the above suggestions, you may be able to adjust the catches on the side out a little so less movement of the bolts is required to open it.
How do the catches adjust? If you're talking about the two "L" brackets mounted to the sides of the tailgate opening, that won't work for me - the bolts move so little that you can't even slide a bracket into place with it off the truck

-Brad
Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Post when I get chance

bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Glad Mark posted the "bending" of the rods suggestion as I did forget that. I know my tailgate rods had slight bends in them and they barely open enough to get the latches open.

77 F250 4x4 Highboy 521 stroker
75 F250 2wd Supercab 460
Old 06-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Posting Guru

brian1080 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
new ones are pretty cheap through Bronco GY. I just replaced both of mine since one was broken. Doesn't take much time to do either.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Senior User

I may just replace them in the near future.

HOWEVER, I was able to modify the handle assembly so that both of the latches would disengage enough to allow the body latches to clear.

What I did was grind out a tiny bit more of the handle assembly - it's got a little "dimple" in the arm where the handle contacts the cam assembly.
Click the image to open in full size.

You can see what I did - I basically doubled the width of the little dimple, allowing the arm to move a LOT further. Pretty quick & easy - much faster than disassembling all the latches to get the rods out just to bend an "S" into them.

I hope this helps someone in the future. I do need a pair of those plastic clips now though!

-Brad
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Senior User

77 1/2 F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I replaced the plastic clips in my 77 tailgate with soe from the help section at the parts store. The ones I used were labelled as door clips for mid seventies Ford cars. They have been working for pretty close to fifteen years now.

Robert
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1999, 351m, 77, 90, adjust, adjustment, big, f150, ford, latch, mechanism, questions, tailgate, trucks, videos