1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The minimal increases from chips and whatnot will likely never end up paying for themselves. But for a gasser, the best chips around are the 5star ones. www.5startuning.com .

Do yourself a favor, either buy a more economical daily driver, or invest the money in keeping your truck running as good as possible. No lift, no big tires, up to date on maintenance, etc.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 PM
DairyFarmer5
Junior User
This truck isn't a daily driver, it's my daily work. Look at my username, Dairy Farmer, that's what I am. Um, ive heard of gas bullets.... My grandfather put one of those in his truck and said he was getting a little better gas mileage....

Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Guys! I understand the "been there, done that - got the teeshirt" attitude with alternative fuels, but this thread is becoming very curt.

DairyFarmer5 If you want references to specific fuels, they're lying around in a search on the forum or the web. I linked you to a serious article from a reputable source that doesn't just dispute the claims, but goes into the science of it to explain why it can't work or why it's economically unsound. Pay close attention to that video you linked - did he show you anything about the device, the science behind it, the cost of fuel production, or the specifics of how much hydrogen it produces per minute? He just showed a ton of persnickity methods for fueling up and threw some numbers and letters up on the screen. I could make a video like that: I'll stand in front of "Stinky" - the wonder truck, lie into the camera, show a picture under the hood with a bunch of hoses splayed about, play with my nozzle, and hold a card up that says I get 30 MPG. It sounds absurd, but watch the video closely and tell me how far off I am.

I could put rocket fuel in my truck and get 100 MPG on a gallon of gas. How much rocket fuel does it take to add to that gallon of gas and how much does it cost? What does it do to my engine? What do I need to do to my engine to make it work. If I change for this fuel, what do I need to do to go back to normal fuel (in case it's not at the mini-mart 200 miles from home)? How available is it? Before diving into buzz-word fuels and miracle machines, don your skeptical spectacles and really look for the absolute proof of something working.

Consider this: A Superduty weighs 7000-8000 pounds with driver and fuel. To make it "Superduty", they had to add a whole buncha steel. It's shaped like a brick. I can get 20 MPG on mine if I go real easy on it, but that's still not an economical daily driver. I had a Toyota P/U EC 4X4 (micro-version of my current rig) with a V6 gas engine and weighed 5600 pounds. I got 20 MPG. I have a Toyota Corolla that I purchased for economy. I don't fit in the vehicle and my head sticks into the sunroof - but I get 37-40 MPG.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:14 PM
DairyFarmer5
Junior User
Okay Fosters, thanks for the link! And Tugly, I will take your advice and go to the different sections in the forum, THANKS Y'ALL!

Old 06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by DairyFarmer5
This truck isn't a daily driver, it's my daily work. Look at my username, Dairy Farmer, that's what I am. Um, ive heard of gas bullets.... My grandfather put one of those in his truck and said he was getting a little better gas mileage....
Do you absolutely need a superduty for your job? If not, the 2011+ F150s all offer far superior mpg to the previous dinosaurs they replaced. If you can get away with a 3.7 N/A v6 in a new F150, you're probably far better off that way. The 5.4 in a superduty is somewhat underpowered for the size of the truck, and no mod is going to make it get significantly better (aka pay for itself in < 1-2 years) mileage. The 3.7 ecoboost will run circles around the 5.4 in both pulling and mileage.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:23 PM
DairyFarmer5
Junior User
If I dare tried and pull a wagon of grain, or pulled a trailer of bales, it would rip the transmission out of the little 150, the 250 bairly gets the job done around here, and it's not as bad of has mileage as the mammoth of a 350... Oh, I saw on the forums some guy was using LP instead of gas, what's LP?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
The 250 and the "mammoth" 350 are nearly identical; for SRW, the main difference is different size rear blocks. Gas mileage will be identical between the two.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM
DairyFarmer5
Junior User
Hmm.... I see.... What's LP then?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Liquified Petroleum, commonly known as propane. If he's running a diesel, I could see it, but don't think I've ever heard of propane on a gasser. There are kits to convert a gasser to use CNG - compressed natural gas, which is cheaper and is quite common in europe, but it's very hard to find fueling stations out here. I think there's a whole 1 here in Minneapolis. The tank for that is under pressure so it's a bit trickier to handle (the nozzle to fill it up locks on to the tank and so on).

Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 PM
DairyFarmer5
Junior User
Lol, my house uses natural gas, I wonder how that could end??? Anyway, are you saying I get a propane injection lot, and use the natural gas instead of the propane?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
No, different beasts altogether. Propane injection is for diesels, works in conjunction with the diesel fuel. Gas engines can be converted to use CNG, as the only fuel basically. You won't be able to just tap into a line into your house and fuel up your truck; you'll probably blow up the house and truck in the process.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:54 PM
DairyFarmer5
Junior User
I was joking about using the house for the fuel, the psi's wouldn't be right, and it wouldn't burn right in the truck. Ummm, what if I injected small amounts of the CNG into the air intake?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can convert a gasser to run on LP alone or use both. I had an '84 that was LP only and my dad had an 89 and 95 that were dual fuel. The conversion isn't real cheap and it will get about the same milage and power (the energy density is almost identical betwen the two) but it burns much cleaner.

Upside for us was it was cheap...if you have propane on the farm already. We called ours tractor fuel even though those are all diesel powered - we didn't pay any road taxes that way. But I can't really advocate breaking the law like that.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 PM
DairyFarmer5
Junior User
I will say, that's risky running with diesel fuel in your truck. Can anyone give me specific instructions of how to run LP with gas or CNG with gas? I was hoping to have a system, like if I ran out of CNG or LP, that the engine would switch back to regular gas. Is this a bit far fetched?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:04 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
So you are going to put how much money into an LP system for how much of a return? It doesn't make financial sense to me.

Quick Reply: Mileage?