EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Horrible towing fuel mileage .

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 02:18 PM
tmehrkam
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Still driving V10 looking at EchoBoost

Thanks for the response.

For now still driving the V10. Love the performance and reliability. Over 200,000 heading towards 300,000

Either an EchoBoost or a Motor home in the future. If I could ever wear out the V10. It is hard to get rid of what is paid for.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just bought a 2013 CCLB 4x4 sunday, 3/4 of the way through my 3500mile trip when the truck in my sig decided it only wanted to be a toy, and not tow our 7500# travel trailer anymore. I was consistently getting 8-9mpg with the diesel, with a stint at 13mpg from Yuma to LA (60mph at best the whole way). I bought the EB in Paso Robles, CA, and towed our trailer 1000 miles home with an average of 7.6mpg on the meter, and average mph of 65 or so. I am happy because fuel cost is still less, and the truck tows the load just as well if not better, not to mention the comfortability of the whole experience. Just driving around town, I can get 20mpg easy with the EB if I pay attention to the driving coach, and that is in the first two days of owning it. Ive only squeaked out 20mpg's with the diesel one time on the freeway, babying it.

I think you guys whining about 7.5mpgs are splitting hairs... You have to realize that you don't tow all the time, and that the difference in unloaded vs. loaded mileage is the difference in the EB vs. any other truck. Yeah, you might get 7.5mpg loaded down with a 3.5L turbo gasser, but your going to get 22+mpg unloaded, which so far is an understatement from what Ive experienced, good luck getting that from any other equivalent truck.... Im happier than a clam with my EB, even at 7.5mpg towing... Im a guy who swore he would never buy a new vehicle again, decided the EB might change my mind, did, and am happy with my decision....

These trucks are kickass, but they aren't magic, if its not good enough, maybe you can buy a chev or a dodge, and find out what the non-ford reality is....

Old 01-15-2014, 04:18 PM
chuck1999
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel mileage

Well I have a 2012 f150 xlt ecoboost and I tow a 24 foot snowmobile trailer just came back from a a 400 mile ride with 4 sleds at about 2000 pounds and the trailer about 3000 so 5000 pounds and at 70/75 miles per hour in rain I got 7.8 7.9 tryed tow haul on and off made no differance. about 7 hours in to the trip I put the peddle down hard and thought I lost a cylinder the truck shook so bad I had to pull over. One of my buds thought it was a tire I knew better. I did not shut it off for fear it might not start. It idled fine and had no skip so i pulled back on the highway made it home alright. Next day check engine light comes on so off to ford I go. will post again when I know what whent wrong.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
slow down a bit and you'll get better fuel mileage.

In addition, I would bet those tires on the trailer aren't rated to run that speed.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:41 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Quote chuck1999: "at 70/75 miles per hour in rain I got 7.8 7.9 tryed tow haul on and off made no differance. about 7 hours in to the trip I put the peddle down hard and thought I lost a cylinder the truck shook so bad"

I wonder if your intercooler was working so hard it caused frost/ice formation in the intake. I know of one that set of the CEL/SES light while driving in the rain at close to freezing temperature. I think there might be a problem with the water exclusion system where it may be over powered by water volume and ice.
tom

Old 01-17-2014, 04:02 PM
chuck1999
New User
tires

Originally Posted by senix
slow down a bit and you'll get better fuel mileage.

In addition, I would bet those tires on the trailer aren't rated to run that speed.
14 inch radal tires should do just fine at that speed had 400 miles to cover

Old 01-17-2014, 05:31 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by chuck1999
14 inch radal tires should do just fine at that speed had 400 miles to cover
LT, P or ST tires? It isn't the raidial vs bias ply to worry about.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:03 PM
rustyoldford
Senior User
Originally Posted by Miked1964
I am roughly the same as you Kev. I have a 2012 Crew Cab with Ecoboost and Max tow. I have about 1600 miles on the truck and this past week I towed a 9,500 trailer for 300 miles and was roughly in the 9 mpg range running between 60-65. Did hit some stop and go traffic. I was very impressed with the trucks towing this trailer. Everyone told me I was crazy, but the truck towed just like the Ford videos show.
Wife is gonna kill me. She just bought a used F150 2012 crew 4x4 with eco boost> Already complaing about her city milage. (14)
I just bought a 31ft toy hauler 6000 lbs before goldwing and camping stuff.
ShXt my 85 f250 with 460 got 13 mpg empty or loaded at 70.

And while I'm here. Whats difference between f150 and super tow? Just bigger oil coolers?

Old 02-04-2014, 05:17 PM
chuck1999
New User
Ok brought the truck to the dealer. they have a TSB on the intercooler they take the plastic off the top of it and put a bigger one on the bottom. oh boy that is there fix.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My superduty with the 5.4 towing 6-7k spinning 35" tires gets better mpg then that. Something doesn't seem right to me

Old 02-08-2014, 03:58 PM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyoldford
Wife is gonna kill me. She just bought a used F150 2012 crew 4x4 with eco boost> Already complaing about her city milage. (14)
I just bought a 31ft toy hauler 6000 lbs before goldwing and camping stuff.
ShXt my 85 f250 with 460 got 13 mpg empty or loaded at 70.

And while I'm here. Whats difference between f150 and super tow? Just bigger oil coolers?
Max tow gets you 3.73 gears, bigger cooler, heavier rear bumper, bigger mirrors and a brake controller in the dash, those are the highlites.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:02 AM
rustyoldford
Senior User
it at least came with brake control in dash,
I need to get the bigger mirrors, cant see anything but trailer and 2nd lane over with these.
the short trip home had no prob with 3:55 gears, but will need to remember to go wider on corners

HEAVIER rear bumper? What would standard bumper be rated for? the sticker is on it but it looks like a 5 yr old piece of masking tape, writing is gone

Ours also is used. I forget which states carfax mentioned, Maybe some of these used units are still in high altitude mode?????????????

"Some one mentioned turning off the trailer sway control. " Will have to check dash again, didnt notice that.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:05 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After reading/scanning most of this... I'll offer an OPINION - worth what it cost ya !

All else the same, driver is the biggest variable...

My sister's brother's wife's daughter was getting bad mpg and complained loudly...
went through most of what has been offered here:
- raise psi on all tires at the expense of a little rougher ride
- check gearing - but not easily changed
- check weights - typically more means less mpg
- check loading - yes how it's loaded matters
- then look at what's wrong...
tuned up ?
proper fuel?
proper maintenance ?
- brakes adjusted properly
- winter or summer driving?
- uphill or downhill ?

still complaining, but she mentioned something else - her brake lights kept burning out!

EZ fix - she was a two foot driver - one foot riding on the brakes all the time !

To get best mpg - anticipate the driving conditions - i.e. coast more when you need to stop, accelerate easy and BEFORE the hill rather than after you are climbing it... momentum is your friend

Or - don't worry about it - and gas it !
it is what it is - and there's a lot more pressing problems than a few mpg

the wife's driving style is seatbelt and airbags !!! hard accelerations and hard stops - and her Ex sport still indicated 19 to 20 mpg in dfw so we are happy with it

Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 PM
daytomann
Senior User
Originally Posted by BrockwayMT

A few thoughts on EcoBoost in general...

1)As previously mentioned, turbo gassers tend to be tough on fuel when into the boost which leads to...

2)I think many of you have been mislead by Ford's marketing. (I'm not trying to hurt anybody's feelings. I know the OP said they don't expect 21 mpg towing) Ford has marketed the EcoBoost's economy (mainly the highway MPG) AND it's towing capacity. My opinion on this matter is that many people have mistakenly put both these concepts together to form this idea that the EcoBoost get's great towing MPG.

The concept of the turbo V6 is that is gets you v6 mileage when used like a v6 (low boost). On the flip side, with boost you get V8 power but V8 mileage or near to it is part of the deal. Great concept really. You get to have your cake and eat it too - at least to a point.
I'll go ahead and say it. Ford's marketing on EB is fraudulent. V8 power with V6 MPGs is a joke.
They've sold well because guys test drive them and end up with a woody due to the power. They then think they are going to be able to consistently USE that power and get great MPGs. Then people want to get into towing with a V6 and get good MPG? Seriously?

Our 5.0 is siting at 17.7 in town. When I tow our 4500lb boat/trailer I'll get 10-12 over 160 mile jaunts. Depending on conditions.... I dont tow over 65mph and I do a fair amount of manual shifting when I tow.

Another thing is that I'll never get why so many people tow at 70-75 mph? What are you thinking?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM
keyston44
New User
Wow, I can't believe I read this whole thread and still no solution to the OP's problem.
I'm in the market for a F-150 Eco Boost because of the power and the supposed gas mileage. I do see that even the gas mileage is low while towing I think it will still be better than what I'm getting now.
When I had a 94 F-250 with a 460 and manual transmission I was getting 6 mpg and a max speed of 45 going up hill pulling an 8800 lb trailer. That I felt wasn't acceptable.
I then bought a 2000 F-250 with a 7.3 diesel and got 12 mpg with the same trailer.
Then when the EPA removed the sulfur from diesel fuel and my mileage went down the toilet again. Plus the cost of diesel is now .75 higher than gas.
Luckily I don't tow trailers that heavy anymore so I think the unloaded gas mileage will make up for the loaded mileage with the Eco Boost.
That's my hope anyway.

Key

Quick Reply: Horrible towing fuel mileage .