Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6 and 2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2012, 10:49 AM
New User

Michaelangelo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know people want to make excuses for the EB engine on why they don't get good milage pulling a trailer. The first thing they say is "but it has more power!" My EB is 17,000miles old and I keep my B set on total miles driven since January which included a trip from Arkansas to Copper Mountain to ski. One trip to Kansas pulling a 3500 aero trailer full of furniture. My average MPG is 14. Since I returned from Kansas, my A odo reads 15.7 of which is mostly city driving. I have had it flashed in February when I got back from Colorado and complained about the milage, and it really didn't make a difference. I have had from day one a shudder when idling and a rough transmission shift when I take off from a rolling stop. The flash seemed to have solved the transmission problem.

In other forums, 150 Forum, talk has been centered around moister in the turbo's; using ethanol free gas; keeping the rpm's below 2000, among others. Frankly, I'm NOT going to put more expensive fuel in my EB just to make it get better MPG, that defeats the purpose of having an EB engine. Cost of operation has always been my decision to purchase a EB to begin with. I traded a 2009 King Ranch 5.4 that got 14.5 MPG on the very same trip to Colorado, but in deep snow for 300 miles in 4x4 mode in 2010! Hell I wished I would of kept my KR.

Now I'm considering trading my EB to a F250 6.7. I know the fuel costs are more and you have to add urea to the x-haust at $15 a quart, but the general consensus is that most people are getting 18 mpg routinely around town. I do a fair amount of towing, nothing over 7000#. The 250 rides better, is more quiet and has mucho torque compared to the EB.

I hate chasing better gas milage by switching vehicles, but I really placed a lot of faith in the EB and it seems that I have been greatly disappointed.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelangelo View Post
Now I'm considering trading my EB to a F250 6.7. I know the fuel costs are more and you have to add urea to the x-haust at $15 a quart, but the general consensus is that most people are getting 18 mpg routinely around town. I do a fair amount of towing, nothing over 7000#. The 250 rides better, is more quiet and has mucho torque compared to the EB.
If you do make the jump, you're going to be pleasantly surprised because the DEF at the pumps here at the local Flying J is around $2.80 per gallon.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Junior User

scottjima is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2011 6.7. I buy 2.5 gallons of DEF for about $10 - $12. The truck will use about 1 gallon per 1,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelangelo View Post
I know people want to make excuses for the EB engine on why they don't get good milage pulling a trailer. The first thing they say is "but it has more power!" My EB is 17,000miles old and I keep my B set on total miles driven since January which included a trip from Arkansas to Copper Mountain to ski. One trip to Kansas pulling a 3500 aero trailer full of furniture. My average MPG is 14. Since I returned from Kansas, my A odo reads 15.7 of which is mostly city driving. I have had it flashed in February when I got back from Colorado and complained about the milage, and it really didn't make a difference. I have had from day one a shudder when idling and a rough transmission shift when I take off from a rolling stop. The flash seemed to have solved the transmission problem.

In other forums, 150 Forum, talk has been centered around moister in the turbo's; using ethanol free gas; keeping the rpm's below 2000, among others. Frankly, I'm NOT going to put more expensive fuel in my EB just to make it get better MPG, that defeats the purpose of having an EB engine. Cost of operation has always been my decision to purchase a EB to begin with. I traded a 2009 King Ranch 5.4 that got 14.5 MPG on the very same trip to Colorado, but in deep snow for 300 miles in 4x4 mode in 2010! Hell I wished I would of kept my KR.

I hate chasing better gas milage by switching vehicles, but I really placed a lot of faith in the EB and it seems that I have been greatly disappointed.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:09 AM
ALIEN FTE AZ CL

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Crap on my V-10 99 Dodge 4x4 I get 6.5-7.5 mpg pulling 10,000# 65-70 mph. You guys make me feel good.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
Did anyone ever hook up an OBD-II scan tool to measure just what is going on when the mpg drops so significantly? It may show something that is just 'not right'. No matter how you do it, with boost or cubic inches, you are running an air pump. It will flow so much at a given rpm. With boost to get hp, you are increasing the effective compression ratio. If the fuel is too low an octane, or you have a touchy or flaky knock sensor, you could be retarding the timing because of perceived detonation.
If it were mine, I'd be buying, begging, renting or whatever an OBD-II scan tool to see just what was going on. A 50% drop in mpg when towing is not so good...
tom
Old 06-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Senior User

TOOLOUD1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
IMO it is comon to get the mpg cut in half when you pull a trailer - no biggie to me ! When empty I will get close to 20 mpg running around.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 PM
New User

Psyberbilly is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cut in half would be a huge improvement over the cut by 2/3 I have experienced !
Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Senior User

How bad is you're towing mpg and what are you dragging/ how fast you rolling ?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:40 PM
New User

A 4,000 lb travel trailer @ between 60-65 mph . 3.55 gears . 7.5 - 7.6 mpg average . My frontal area is approximately the same as the trailer in the pickuptruck.com test , but with less than half the weight on a under far less challenging conditions I am still short of their mark . Dealership says Ford will not even talk to you in regards to fuel economy before 5k on the odometer . The really confusing thing is that I have achieved 21.2 - 21.4 mpg @ 70-72 mph on the highway on numerous occasions ( unloaded )
Old 06-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Senior User

Brother I get close to 10 mpg pulling my 800 xp 800 ranger on a single axled 6.5x14 trailer. Are you cutting off you're trailer sway control ? I have cut mine off every time my truck moves - not real sure if that makes any difference or not.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Post Fiend

96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of
My .02 for what its worth. This past winter myself and a buddy went to the mountains sledding. Open deck aluminum trailer, 2 mountain sleds, we weighed it at the scale before leaving and it was a total 1700lbs. No load for the truck at all, a 2011 s'crew F150 Eboost 4x4. The trip out we had a brutal headwind and at times a crosswind, the truck averaged about 7-8mpg for about 5 tank fills. Once we got out of the wind it went up to as high as 14mpg hand calculated. Not once did the truck feel like it was laboring because of the wind, but for sure it used twice the fuel.

I feel this is likely the case pulling a large travel trailer. That huge flat front dragging down the road at 60mph would be a tough haul...Someone with some physics could work out some coefficient drag numbers...

Stay off the boost and you'll do better, tho sometimes its unavoidable.

2014 F350/6.7/4x4/CC/SWB/Lariat
Old 07-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Posting Guru

DIYiT has a good reputation on FTE.DIYiT has a good reputation on FTE.
How was the wind when you were getting that mileage? The truck in my sig (I know... big block compared to EB....) should easily pull my 7000 lb camper, but with a good headwind on a 500 mile trip I averaged.... hold on to your hats.... 4.25 mpg. I've pulled 18,000 lb flat bed loads and still managed 8-9 mpg, so 4.25 mpg with a "light" camper was a shock, but gearing and a lot of wind resistance made all the difference for me.

1995 F-250 - Vortech 460, E40D - 4x4 3.55, Single Cab, Long Box
DIYiT's F-250 Build Thread
--Dana 60 Swap --Vortech Install
Old 07-12-2012, 12:58 PM
New User

There was not really any wind to speak of on either tow . Both my salesman and service writer say that Ford won't even consider fuel economy until after 5k miles , but both agree I should get much better . Truck is @ 4.8k now , Monday we are towing to Port Aransas for a week @ 600 mile round trip . We will see if it improves and go from there !
Old 07-12-2012, 04:59 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
7-9 mpgs towing my high profile 14K 5er with the 6.4. there has to be something wrong here.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 07-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Senior User

I don't see how anything is wrong here - ya get 20+ mpg unloaded and get around 10 pulling anything. I can get 7-8 easily if I run the snott out of EB while dragging a trailer.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)

Tags
35l, diesel, eco, economy, f150, f250, ford, fuel, gas, milage, towing, trailer, travel, turbo, v8