Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

"Torque PRO" OBD software for Android tablets and phones

Old 06-05-2012, 12:21 AM
portsample
Mountain Pass

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"Torque PRO" OBD software for Android tablets and phones

I've just purchased a copy of Torque Pro ($4.95) for Android phones that can be used with Bluetooth OBD2 scanners. It took me a while to find the Powerstroke option in the program, so I thought I'd post this and save other forum readers some head scratching. Here are my general instructions,

1.) Configure the Bluetooth connection. Open the Torque program on your phone or tablet. In your truck with the Bluetooth scanner plugged into OBD port, configure the bluetooth connection from your OBD2 scanner to your phone. Now, open Torque Pro. Select "Menu" on your phone, then "Settings", select "OBD2 Adapter Settings" and complete configuration of the Bluetooth connection to the program.

2.) Install Ford/Powerstroke specific PIDs. Select "Menu", then "Settings", scroll down to and select "Manage extra PIDs/Sensors". Select "Menu" again, then "Add Predefined set". Up at the top of the next window you will see "Ford (Incl PowerStroke)" as one of the selections. Press this. This will load a variety of OBD2 PIDs that are specific to our rigs. Injection Control Speed, Fan speed, Fuel Pump duty cycle, Exhaust back pressure, as well as a bunch that I am not familiar with. Also, if any are missing and you know what the PIDs are you can add them in by hand.

I've set mine up to log all of the Powerstroke specific codes as well as standard feedback such as RPM, a variety of oil temps as well as OBD MPH in addition to GPS MPH for comparison. The program lets you automatically upload these values from the phone to a server at the end of every trip, or just store them on the phone for later download.

Problem: When you press "Test Results" in the main menu, the application will cycle through a standard set of OBD2 queries. One of these queries causes the engine to miss or sometimes stall. I've got an email into the developers asking how PowerStroke owners can delete this query.

The web address for Torque Pro is
Torque — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle

Good luck & have fun.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:52 PM
trailh4x
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Great post. Many neigh-sayers out their that probably haven't dug around as much as you have. Ordering a dongle for my '99 7.3!

Keep us posted on the engine miss response from the developer.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 AM
jwhopson
Tuned

BE AWARE......

I purchased Torque, used it with my gasser and it worked great. I have a bluetooth dongle connected to the ODBII connector. After I bought the 7.3 I used this Torque and bluetooth, on my way to Idaho I saw a ODBII triggered a memory fault which shutdown the engine going about 70mph. I tried a restart and nothing. disconnected the dongle and it ran perfect there and back. Diesel friend mechanic said no to run that cheap crap and get a real reader. I like the cheap stuff but didn't know why it failed. I had worked for about four hours.

I am not saying don't do it, just be aware. I will be trying mine again soon.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I wouldn't want my precious having random bits of "noise" flowing into its ear from every Ipod, Iphone, Ipad, or Iwannabe driving by me. I'm more of a can and string guy.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
eh it doesnt really work that way so much anymore.. digital technology has allowed for forward error correction between devices and other wonderful timing and lock protocols built in to device hardware that prevent signal hijacking. Bluetooth is a particularly clean protocol with the added benefit of high security also built in. its more secure than that there cable you plug in... because you cant put a password on a cable...
not knocking AE by any means... im probably going to end up spending the money... but if i can accomplish the same thing with my android tablet... which makes most newer laptops feel... well.. inadequate... then i will absolutely go that route.
(i got me one of them fancy asus transformer prime doo hickeys)
i can port the AE software to work on my tablet... but i dont want to do the hack on my tablet that would void my warranty/allow me to mount usb remotes.
sounds like torque pro might be the answer im looking for.
i would rather not resurrect a dinosaur just so i can spend all that money on software the old a$$ laptop might or might not run.

so yeah... i think im going with torque after its all said and done.

just two more pennies

xtof

Old 06-17-2012, 11:48 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What bluetooth adapter is everyone using? I have seen the cheap ones and some expensive ones. I am curious if the higher end ones perform better or not.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 PM
portsample
Mountain Pass

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My adapter is an ancient one (so old it's made in the US...~2008). It has Bluetooth output.
My impression is that the adapters have similar basic configurations and simply act as conduits for data via the OBD port between the ECM and an external computer. That said, units made in foreign countries by 12-year olds, using unknown quality electrical components that are not tested before shipping, will likely have a higher failure rate and may produce erratic data when compared to units made and tested in a professional shop by grown-ups. I may be wrong, but the hardware appears to generally be the same to me.

The shutdowns are caused by the Electronic Control Module (ECM) receiving a Parameter ID (PID) request from the external computer connected to the OBD port that causes the ECM to reset. I have found that turning the key to the "off" position in the truck and waiting 10-15 seconds allows for a restart after a shutdown.

From what I've learned so far, these trucks have several different types of ECMs associated with them, that have PID command sets that vary slightly among them. I ran Torque for about a week with no problems using the basic PID set. I configured Torque so that the phone would stay in my pocket with Torque on standby, and when I got into range of the Bluetooth adapter plugged into the truck, Torque would start sending data to a user definable online database. Torque would log not only truck parameters, but also GPS latitude and longitudes. After this first week I started adjusting some of the PIDs and data handling setting in the program. As a result of this, I had my truck shut off shortly after starting data logging before leaving my driveway. At the moment, the OBD adapter is disconnected in my truck. As soon as I get time, I'll be going through the PIDs on a trial and error basis (while parked in my driveway) to figure out which caused my early '99 ECM to freak out.

Is this a problem with the Torque program? I think it depends on your perspective. Torque is a flexible program that does allow the user to enter codes that may cause problems with their rigs such as an ECM reset. This program is a bit of a loaded gun that may cause problems for the inexperienced or careless user.

I hope this helps...for further information, check out the forums associated w/the Torque website. There are a number of postings by Powerstroke users.

Happy fathers day.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:49 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Two more pennies. I figured I'd start with the cheap Vgate dongle from Ebay and so far it is ok. The display can handle only a few parameters smoothly, but this may be a limitation of the phone, a relatively old Motorola Defy. My only beef is the dongle was made with the connection/status LEDs facing away from the user when installed. I wonder how you say "D'oh!" in Mandarin. It's great for hpop health check and getting/clearing 7.3 codes. I have not had a hiccup from the motor but I'm not monitoring all that long.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:30 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Portsample, curious if since you mention this is a loaded gun - is there any damage that could be caused by Torque? I guess I didn't see where you could send codes. In my situation, it was very basic, only used the the items it said was available to display. I didn't use any other functions and didn't realize I could load the Ford PID set - which is pretty cool. I like them alot and will be trying ours again . Goodluck.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm try'n to download it to my tablet, but seems the "torque" site, only is sold thru Google Play. Will i need to download that in order to download this app. I have the Amazon App downloaded, but with TORQUE PRO typed in, it doesnt show the app that everybody else is loading?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
timmyboy... yes download and install google play.

xtof

Old 09-22-2013, 09:55 AM
enormiss
Senior User
Got adapter and pro yesterday and started playing...
What would be the six most important things to monitor and there alarm setpoints?

Old 09-22-2013, 03:30 PM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
Well, that depends. Do you have gauges, already? If no, I'd watch tranny temp, for sure. I have the standard 3 gauges, and I monitor engine oil temp, tranny temp (the PCM sees a little different temp than the test port), volts (to watch for alternator issues), exhaust back pressure, ICP and injector pulse width. The latter three can show you a lot about what a tuner is doing to get performance out of the motor.

Mark

Old 09-23-2013, 01:43 AM
jhobbs26
Senior User
here's my screen shot with a WOT run.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/att...reenshot-1.jpg

This is the OBDII adapter i bought. I've had zero problems with mine shutting down my truck while driving. Its plugged in all the time and i pretty much run the app everytime i drive.

ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Can ELM 327 Scantool Check Engine Light Car Code Reader : Amazon.com : Automotive ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Can ELM 327 Scantool Check Engine Light Car Code Reader : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 09-23-2013, 05:56 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Hp and torque is a fun one to play with too. You have the option to load more than 6 gauge. You have the option of loading how ever many gauges you want on 7 different pages. While youre driving just slide the screen to the left or right and you'll have a different set of gauges. All 7 pages can be had without doing anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Torque PRO" OBD software for Android tablets and phones