1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Give me your honest opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:00 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give me your honest opinions

I'm kinda up in the air about something and I'd like to know what you guys think.

This is the truck I drive now.......

This is my crew cab project truck.....

As you can see, the crew cab needs A LOT of work. It doesn't look like that now though, it's just the cab on the frame with the engine and trans still in it. It is a 460 gas truck, so I had planned on converting it to a PSD with another parts truck I have.

This what I've been thinking....instead of building the crew cab, and all the money and time to finish it, I'm thinking about swapping the D60 out of it into the ECSB that I drive and do the little bit of body work it needs, put a nice paint job on it and be done with it other than some more mods that I'd like to do.

What has me hesitant about doing this is, I've always wanted a crew cab something terrible cause I LOVE the looks of them. I don't need a crew cab for the room, I just like them. I'm afraid some day down the road I may regret scrapping this project. On the other hand, the more I drive, look at, and tinker with the ECSB, the more I like it, and I would really like it with a nice black paint job and a D60! It's really all the truck I'd ever really need as far as towing, daily driving and room in the cab, plus it's less than half the work and money to get to where I want to be with a truck. Right now, and who knows for how much longer, money is going to be an issue due to me working in the coal industry. When it's up, it's great. when it's down, it's not the end of the world and I'm not starving, just need to tighten up a little.

So without blabbering any more, what I'm asking is, if it were you, what you do? I'd just like to get your guys opinions cause you love these trucks as much as I do and I think your opinions will help me decide what to do from here with my trucks!

Thanks guys!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 391 Likes on 268 Posts
Dang...that is a hard one...i have had both...and i loved my xcab....miss that electric blue sex machine everyday.
With that said.i just abandoned my cummins swap project in favor for my cc.with a growing family i needed the room and one less project.i hate to say it but it sounds like i would stick with my xcab.maybe someday trade up to a cc?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordman67
Dang...that is a hard one...i have had both...and i loved my xcab....miss that electric blue sex machine everyday.
With that said.i just abandoned my cummins swap project in favor for my cc.with a growing family i needed the room and one less project.i hate to say it but it sounds like i would stick with my xcab.maybe someday trade up to a cc?
I plan on keeping what would be left of the crew cab. I've already got a southern rust-free bed, rust-free doors and fenders, new rad. support, new tailgate, carpet and a few other things for it. Some of that I could use on the ECSB. Thought about selling the bed for the crew cab and buying a 6' rust-free bed for the ext.cab. and use the good fenders and new rad. support and tail gate on the ext. cab.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:36 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would do what you are planning to do to your short box keep the 4 door for parts the parts for these trucks are getting harder to find in the junk yard having a spare this and that around sure helps out especially when times are tuff because you know as well as I that is when something will break .

JMHO

Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't spoil a perfectly good (and increasingly rare over the years) two-tone paint job with a solid color. If you're gonna go to the trouble of painting, I'd say do it with the CC project truck; you'll also be able to retain the ECSB as a daily driver.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by madpogue
Don't spoil a perfectly good (and increasingly rare over the years) two-tone paint job with a solid color. If you're gonna go to the trouble of painting, I'd say do it with the CC project truck; you'll also be able to retain the ECSB as a daily driver.
You can't tell from the pics, but the paint on the ext. cab is far from good LOL! Some one has painted it before. They painted it back the original colors, but they didn't even scuff the old paint, so what paint hasn't faded, is rolling off of it.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd leave the ECSB alone as far as the D60 swap and keep working on that crew cab.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pjwoolw
I'd leave the ECSB alone as far as the D60 swap and keep working on that crew cab.
I'm with Pete on this one. Then again just about every decision I make with my truck is driven by budget, so everyone's situation is different. I fell into my CCLB 350 4x4, do I absolutely need all the room? No, but I love this truck and love packing it full of people/gear and heading wherever I need to go.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
I'd keep the one whose frame and chassis is in the best overall shape.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Finish the CC cause if that's what you truly want and you settle with the EC i don't think you'll ever be truly happy with the EC. Just my .02

Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Put the d60 in the ecsb and paint it two tone black and white with the green accent.

The cc project I'd swap the psd and set it on the ground as 2wd. DD the ecsb and cruise in the CC. Some 3.55s and a jet black paint with some nice chrome moto metals would be mean.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Theres no way id abandon a dream like that. Ive caught myself justifying something lesser plenty of times because it seemed more attainable and I'm impatient as heck. CC all the way baby. At least thats my honest opinion anyway.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
ahhhhh, I don't know. Dream vs one that's running, hmmm. Sorry!

Old 06-05-2012, 04:22 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Thanks for all your opinions.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:39 AM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Bill, Just my opinion ( you asked ) I would never attempt to undertake a project like that (just me cause i wouldn't be able) I think you are capable but man that's a lot of work and would still be pretty expensive ( gotta figure whats your time worth ). My suggestion would be to put some effort into fixing up the DD SC and then you could keep it or just consider selling it for a good price, and then try to find someone that would like to trade for a great SC. There must be some out there that are thinking theirs is just too much truck for them. I know its not the popular opinion but that's mine. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Quick Reply: Give me your honest opinions