Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Senior User

waumpuscat is starting off with a positive reputation.
egr delete fan question

I understand that some models will not turn the fan on if the egr valve is removed or unplugged but is that the case if it is left plugged in and in place but turned off with a sct tuner? I did mine last fall but have not towed yet and am wondering if my fan will still respond to the rise in temperature of the engine coolant.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Senior User

Bigdaddybus has a good reputation on FTE.Bigdaddybus has a good reputation on FTE.Bigdaddybus has a good reputation on FTE.
I have on 05 6L Excursion and my fan works fine while towing with the egr cooler deleted and the stock egr in place and plugged in using a SCT tuner with the egr set to off and using IDP tunes.
ARP studs, RCD egr delete, IDP SCT tunes, 4" exhaust, airaid intake, coolant filter, V/B code swap, Rancho RS9000 shocks, 2008 F250SD 20" wheels, Kenwood Excelon, Prodigy brake controller, 55watt HID headlights and fogs, recon led side markers
Often pulling a XLR 27HFS and ATV's
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Senior User

That is very encouraging. Then I would think it is most likely not going to affect my fan and when it gets to 200 and whatever it will kick in. Thanks
Gearhead SCT non-studded tunes
Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
the Fan is always running it just steps up speed if need be A Bunch of things go into figuring the Fan Speed

UNPLUGGED EGR VALVE AND THE PROBLEMS THAT FOLLOW
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...egr-valve.html

The Only real way you would notice any affect is if you can see FAN RPM
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Senior User

hey thanks benny, i guess what i should have made more clear was the jet engine fan kickin in that i hear a lot when I am towing up hill in the heat. I haven't towed since doing all of my upgrades and just curious if I am missing anything
Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM
New User

lesfavre is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jet engine fan when hauling

Hi noticed your comment about the "jet engine fan" when hauling. I have had this problem for years. Everytime I would explain it to mechanic they looked at me like I was nuts. Eventually, the EGR was replaced and I swear the jet engine fan disappeared after that...well its back...I keep saying it sounds like the engine rpm's shoot up to 5000 but they are stable...but they say its the cooling fan but it sounds like it is going to rip out of the engine...finally my question..were you able to fix the jet engine fan? and is a replaced or deleted EGR going to fix my problem?

2004 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel problem child
Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Senior User

The jet engine noise that I have described above is the cooling fan kicking in after engine cooling temps reach a certain temp(220 I think). This is desirable and helpful in cooling the engine. My previous concern was that due to monkeying with the egr(turning it off with the sct programmer) I was a bit anxious about wanting to hear my cooling fan(jet engine sound)kick in once temps reach that point. I have yet to tow heavy since my modifications so I have yet to get my engine coolant temp high enough to kick the fan in. I will feel much better when I hear this because I will know that I am operating as I did prior to these modifications. Like you, I have previously heard this fan on every run I make with the fifth wheel. It is normal.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 PM