Intake installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake installation questions

Just took of my stock intake and fixing to put on my Weiand Stealth intake...but I notice the guy I know didn't put my valley pan on when he rebuilt this 460 for me. Is there a reason why? Will it be ok? I guess it should?

Anyways, I plan to go get a new set of intake manifold gaskets. Will it be ok to use Aviation form-a-gasket on these gaskets? Also the one piece rubber gaskets that go on the front and rear, I also put the form-a-gasket on it? I've heard people say use the Black RTV silicone on this?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:49 AM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never use a valley pan. I use black or clear silicone on the "china" walls.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:21 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
I got that aviation form a gasket...

Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Harley48
Junior User
I put an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold on my 77 F250 460. I noticed in the manifold there was a passage which would allow exhaust to pass through it underneath the carb between heads. However, the Edelbrock manifold gaskets did not have holes in them at that passage. What I remember is that the purpose of the valley pan in to prevent oil from splashing up on the hot area under the carb and atomizing (I have no idea how much of a problem that would be.) If no exhaust is getting through the manifold, I concluded that this atomization wouldn't occur. Like critterf1 I just used silcone on the "china" walls and it works fine.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:22 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Hey..i notice the weiand stealth doesnt have a hole on the back of it so i can screw in my transmission vaccuum lines and other vac lines...what do i do with the trans line now? Just close it up?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:16 AM
Tarrin
New User
You will have to reroute that trans line to another vacume sorce.. its nesessary for it to shift properly..

Old 06-06-2012, 06:14 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can also drill and tap a hole then put in a barbed fitting to fit the line. Or as stated reroute it somewhere else. Usually the carb has a manifold vacuum port you can hook into.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Thats what i was thinkin. Makin sure. Thanks guys. Guess i gotta find an adapter to add vac lines cause the main vac on back of my carb is where i got the oil cap hooked to

Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
I can't believe it. I lost or either got my 770cfm stolen. I can't find it no where, where I had it!!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Well I got my new radiator today and timed it the best I could by hearing it run and from a previous picture I took of the exact spot before I tore it all apart. It ran. Saw some water leaking and was like, "OH no, don't tell me the intake is leaking coolant!" but wiped it away and found it was coming from the water outlet (which I thought I cleaned good) but tighten it down some more and "Crack"..ordering another one. But then I looked in the back and saw a puddle in one of the port areas and said "Oh no, don't tell me the intake is leaking coolant" but wiped it away and it didn't leak. Guess it was the rain from early and leaked through the opening where the hood closes.

All in all, it wasn't a bad job.
If it does leak coolant, I will be able to tell in the oil but I checked it and it didn't.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:07 AM
82f100460
Posting Guru
When put my Wieand on, the instructions specifically states to not use the valley pan, I did not. It also states to not use the valley end gaskets, so also did not use those, but it leaked like a pig. I pulled it back off and used the rubber end seals and it worked great.

Might be a different part number, but mine had the tapped hole in the rear to put the vacuum tree in. From there, I ran the vacuum line to the tranny as well as brake booster.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:40 PM
big vann
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Stealth #8012 also has a vac port at the rear pass. side.I ran my brake vac to the front port and trans to the rear port.You must have capped the rear port(bought mine new and it didn't have any ports plugged or capped)or got it used with it plugged.You can see it at the back with the hose going to the PCV(temporary).The front one is also capped.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:52 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
Mine has the vac port too.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:39 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Vann,
Don't route your PCV into a single intake runner like that.
The #4 cylinder will get gunked up and probably knock like crazy because of all the oil contamination.
Rings will stick and detonation will batter the piston.

Get a ported spacer (if you have the hood clearance) or drill and tap the common plenum right beneath the carb.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:59 PM
big vann
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run my trans to the rear manifold port,PCV to carb base and brakes to the front manifold port.But I did run the PCV(many,many years ago) to a manifold port on a 302 until the engine started missing and found a oil fouled plug on one cylinder.

Quick Reply: Intake installation questions