6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Update: How its going so-far EGR/Oil coolers(with many pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:14 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Definitely leave that shroud off. You will need to drill a couple of holes to use a zip-tie to mount the fan clutch wiring but everything is easier without the shroud. Mine is sitting in a corner somewhere.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 PM
bowbender_1969
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in exactly that deep on mine right now and have the same build up in my intake. What did you do about it? Or can anyone else suggest what to do about it? How can you clean that out without dropping alot of it down the intake?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:47 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Rusty when you get that ttruck done go ahead and swing bye and get my garage organized

I have a bunch of junk in my garage and 50K in vehicles sitting in the driveway

Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
On the cleaning, the intake manifold was just a lot of pressure washing and some "Purple Stuff" I think on the intake ports I'm gonna use a round wire brush like a plumber uses to clean up the inside of copper pipe and keep the shop vac running right on it as I go. I don't want to drop that crud down into the head but there's a lot of it and I can't bear the idea of buttoning it back up like that.

Benny,
My garage used to be a mess until I rented a 10x20 storage shed across town lol! That thing is stacked to the ceiling win all my "treasures" (and some Christmas decorations).
Used to be, if I left a GreatNeck socket on the battery of something I was working on and it fell off going down the road- no biggie, but when you start buying tools off the big truck that comes to you job loosing a socket or something has a little sting to it! I could swing by your place and straighten up a little, but TDY rates and per-diem might make it too expensive.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's okay, Benny and I will just wait until your done and use your garage...

Notice how I squeezed myself into this conversation, ha ha? Yup, I suppose I'm an opportunist.

Really though, gotta give my kudos on your garage set up. Sheesh, if mine were that nice I MIGHT even consider doing all those wish-mods on my 05 that I've been dreaming of. It would take a couple of weeks to get my man cave ready for a job that deep though so I just do little stuff these days and crack open the piggy bank for stuff that big anymore.

Good luck on your project. You've got good support here.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Lol. You are welcome to stop in anytime, we'll turn some wrenches! You are right on about the support also, great bunch of folks here and an amazing amount of knowledge. I said before I'd rather have access to FTE than a good shop manual!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Lowe
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rusty,<O</O
I want to commend you on a great thread and all of the continued updates with Pic's.. Like you I will be doing this exact job starting next week. I have posted up my parts list "Part 1"(that you have commented on already THANK YOU!) and will start a new thread, similar to this, when I start "Part 2". I am also considering studs and I am very close to pulling the trigger and doing one at a time. I don’t plan to run any "Hot" tunes but maybe something for mileage or towing. anyway keep the updates coming.

Dirk<O</O

Old 06-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Well, the weekend came and went and only 3hrs wrench time on the truck. Too many things going on right now I guess. Hope to get some more done this week.

HPOP ready for install:

Not shure it means anything but I thought this was interesting:

HPOP installed and torqued. YEA! it's going together!

HPOP cover installed. White stuff is lithium grease. would have used vaseline but this stuff was handy.

Shot of IPR o-ring set up.

I don't know if this pic is good enough to tell, but there is crud almost all the way around a few intake ports .060-.080 in thick!

Dirk,
This is the EGR Kit I mentioned in your post:

Old 06-12-2012, 12:09 AM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

It's a lot of work considering that it's all just under intake manifold. There is a lot going on in one spot and considering these engines take up all the space under the hood there is a lot of stuff to pull just to get were you need to be. Now the carbon in the intake ports: is that a normal amount, and do you run a cetane boost or fuel supplement?
Or is the diesel were buying just that bad?
New stuff looks good, look at the money you saved doing it yourself !!

You will soon be a expert on this issue too..............

Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
thx for the pics and info. I've wondered what some of those pieces looked like

Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
I don't know if that crud build up is normal or not. I use B-5 (bio) with DieselKleen in the grey bottle. I think alot of it is from the CCV system because it is kind of gooey, not dry like I would think EGR would be. It was also worse on drivers side in the front 4 intake ports. Could be a clue I guess.
Money was a big reason I decided to do this myself but really the biggest reason was I didn't like driving a vehicle that I didn't know what was going on under the hood. I'm definately getting some education on that!
Glad the pics are af some use. I looked at alot also but alot of them were hard to figure out where they were at (angles and stuff) so I'm trying to take them were the part is obvious but you can also tell where it's at and how it's oriented. Not an easy task sometimes!

Old 06-12-2012, 02:24 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Hopefully you didn't completely remove the injector clips from the harness, if they are like mine. They like to go zing off deep into the bowels of your engine bay never to be seen again, I learned a cheap telescoping magnet and small mirror can save a lot of time picking up parts where the fat fingers can 't get to.

Yes , nothing like the school of hard knocks. I learn more by doing than reading or seeing that's for sure, I learned a lot from tearing into mine. And +1 on the topside creeper, and topside tool tray, made the work almost enjoyable. Lmao

Old 06-13-2012, 03:37 AM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I don't know if that crud build up is normal or not. I use B-5 (bio) with DieselKleen in the grey bottle. I think alot of it is from the CCV system because it is kind of gooey, not dry like I would think EGR would be. It was also worse on drivers side in the front 4 intake ports. Could be a clue I guess.
Mine were gooey also, not dry powder like the EGR valve. I didn't pay attention which one or which side has more of those stuff, and I can't clean it all thinking there will be more below where I can't see or reach so I gave up. Gave it a quick clean as much as I can then put the old gasket on after cleaning it (should of buy the new gasket so I don't spend time on cleaning it).

I did not use any fuel additive since I bought the truck back in early Dec 2011, and drove about 6K miles before I change the coolers.

Still don't know for sure why diesel fuel additive is needed so I haven't put it in.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 AM
05 f250 6 inch lift
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rusty. Looks like your doin a awesome job man. If you need any help, I'm only like 1 1/2 hours north of you.

I used a degreaser on my intake an soaked it over night. Got 99.5% of that gump out of intake ( stained the outside of it but used aluminum acid to bring clean color back ).

To me the hardest part when putting back together was gettin up pipe an turbo to line up right.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm definately listening! And the help offer that's too cool, thanks man. What is aluminum acid? Can I get it at a parts store?

Quick Reply: Update: How its going so-far EGR/Oil coolers(with many pics)