Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 PM
New User

Vic_Young is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission aux. cooler questions

Howdy, thank you all for all the help I have received from this board so far, I am not the most mechanically inclined person but with the help and information I have got from this board I have managed quite well. Anyway, new project on the horizon, an axillary tranny cooler. I have some question about the whole process.

First, I live in the mountains and I am driving up some pretty serious grades on a regular basis. And if that were not enough the summer temps can reach 100F+ quite often. I don't tow anything with my tiny 4.2l V6 XL but I do tend to haul a lot of weight in the back when I go to town, I put in an Auto Meter trans temp gauge about a year ago and notice my mean transmission temps seems to fall in the 190F to 210F range at full temp. I'm not a transmission expert by any means but this seems a little on the hot side or am I wrong?

While hauling heavy loads in the bed of the truck I have hit 220F, at this point I always stop the truck and let it cool down for 15 to 20 minutes to cool down to more acceptable temps before continuing. Thus the reason for wanting an aux. transmission fluid cooler.

So...can I get some opinions, does an auxiliary trans. cooler really save your transmission, does it live up to the hype? worth the cost?

I have an external transmission fluid filter made by ford, should I install this as well as an aux trans. fluid cooler? Would they both work well together?

Placement, where do you put an aux. trans fluid cooler on my particular truck, I've heard it is a matter of preference but where's the most logical/efficient place to put one? I have been looking at this cooler: B&M 70264 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler Automatic Transmission Super Cooler – 14,400 BTU rated – 11″x6″x1-1/2″ | B&M Racing and Performance Products
I chose this particular cooler because from what I have read stacked-plate coolers are supposedly superior to the fin and tube coolers, true? I haven't a clue.

Where to install in relation to the transmission lines? I've heard to install the cooler on the OUTPUT of the radiator, any ideas?

How hard of a project is this, do I need any special/expensive tools to complete it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
2004, 2010, 99, automatic, aux, auxillary, cooler, explorer, f150, ford, put, stacked, taurus, trans, transmission