General Automotive Discussion

Goin to Dover This Weekend "The Monster Mile"

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Goin to Dover This Weekend "The Monster Mile"

Anyone going to the race in Dover Delaware this weekend. We're heading down in the RV tonight.

Should be about a 7 hour road trip.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:05 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I've been to Daytona, Talledega, Michigan along with a few other smaller tracks, never did make it to Dover---would love to do it and Bristol too----one day!

RV's in the in-field or close by is probably the best way for over night----hope the weather is great and its a great race too!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:36 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Sure did not look like the stands were full....very surprised

Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by IB Tim
Sure did not look like the stands were full....very surprised
Yeah I noticed that as well Tim----kinda troubling in a way. Seems track attendance has dropped off quite a bit at even the former sold out locations.

Looked almost like an Indy Car race!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
I think fans are a bit tired of NASCAR stepping in and controlling too much of the engineering advancement...they will not let the good "stuff" rise to the top....on a side note Kurt Bush is gone forever...IMO they will make a statement with him .

Old 06-05-2012, 02:47 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

I think fans are a bit tired of NASCAR stepping in and controlling too much of the engineering advancement...they will not let the good "stuff" rise to the top....on a side note Kurt Bush is gone forever...IMO they will make a statement with him .
your opinion would be wrong,just suspended one race and on probation until december 31. To be honest,I am getting kind of bored/burned out with all kind of professional motorsports,starting to like drag racing some,but this summer I am spending every weekend I have a chance checking out "local"(within 3-4 hour drive) dirt tracks. Something to be said for a late model or open wheel modified on dirt with almost as much horsepower as the NASCAR guys. Plus punks like the Busch Brothers don't survive long at dirt tracks because you will get your *** beat for treating/talking to other drivers like that at most dirt tracks.
NASCAR suspends Kurt Busch for Pocono - Jun 04, 2012 - NASCAR.COM

Old 06-05-2012, 05:24 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
My quip about Indy cars seems to have come at just the right moment. While it can be said Indy-type cars are on the cutting edge of automotive engineering such hi-tech over-the-top development pushes the cost of that form of racing into the realm where only the very wealthy people can truly afford to compete somewhat respectfully, sponsorships aside. When a potential field of 40 cars has only 24 or fewer entries that says a lot---to me anyway.

In the middle 80's NASCAR was somewhat proud of its claim "the best technology 1965 has to offer.........." which was very much true of that time. The entire car was simple and basic, most components easily recognizable and identifiable by most anyone who'd ever opened the hood or crawled under their own cars. Qualifying was necessary in order to determine who actually made the race any given day, those not in the race went home and looked for more speed the next week. Week after week the best 43 cars took the track.

It was always Bill France's desire to have a full field and by keeping the cars running gear simple and basic he did just that. It was extremely rare a $3 valve or gadget would/could take a car out of the race for the day. Heck I've seem pit crews change distributors, carburetors during green flag stops---try such repairs on an Indy car.

As for the Busch Bros---the quicker Kyle is gone the better at least from my perspective. Despite his often awesome abilities he's a two-bit punk that would be a poor representative in any garage or sport. No one really dislikes success or the confidence that comes from having a successful operation and team but conduct plays an important part too. After all drivers represent their sponsor's products and while its sometimes said "there is no such thing as bad publicity" that's just not true 100% of the time.

I too would just love to see one or both of the Busch bros at a local track, pulling their crap and see what ensued.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
We had an absolute blast, at Dover. If you're a race fan it's worth the trip. I never fully understood how steep the banking was at that track.

Got some great pictures during driver introductions, standing in front of the catch fence. Jimmie Johnson came out with a mulit-colored wig on that was pretty funny.

I heard about Kurt Busch, and watched the race highlights last night. He's all done.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Busch might be all done as far as finding good rides if that is what you mean,but he didn't get kicked out,just suspended for one race and on probation until december 31st like the link in my previous post from NASCAR says.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:05 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cjben
Busch might be all done as far as finding good rides if that is what you mean,but he didn't get kicked out,just suspended for one race and on probation until december 31st like the link in my previous post from NASCAR says.
They sat him out for the Pocano race this weekend. Richard Petty was going to pick him up (before Phoenix Racing grabbed him), but Petty was warned by one of his sponsors that they wouldn't back Kurt.

The guy's a great driver, he's basically self destructing for some reason.