1978 Ford F100 Ranger/Explorer Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 03:02 PM
quarkdude
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1978 Ford F100 Ranger/Explorer Newbie

Hello all,
Just found this forum and wanted to share that I own a 1978 Ford F100 Ranger/Explorer. It has the Factory 302 v-8, Manual everything - (no power options), Still has the factory original stripes kit on it - though very weather beaten. It's sort of the orange'ish Red color. Short bed. And 3 on the tree manual transmission. Just seeing what you guys think of what sounds to be a sort of rare truck I guess. I have pictures, just have to wait until I get home to post them up here.

Here are some pics of the truck, just took them today.

Tell me what you think. She's no beauty, but she starts every single time in the summer or the winter. Just a work truck for now.

Last edited by quarkdude; 05-31-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding pics of the truck
Old 05-31-2012, 03:50 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
It's not particularly rare... these rigs were working trucks and power anything back in the day was seen as a luxury.

Research/decode your VIN and data plate info at www.fordification.net and tell us what you're working with.

And yes, we want pics... also known in FTE as "truck ****".

Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2X on the truck ****! Just in case here's a tutorial a member made for posting pics. Welcome!

How to upload pictures to the FTE Forums. - YouTube

Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM
JoeyIQuit
Freshman User
Yes, show us pics. I just joined this site last week and it is a bunch of fun. Still learning the ropes. I just took possession of a 77 F100 Ranger a couple weeks ago.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:35 PM
quarkdude
Junior User
Bump

Just added some pictures for all of you to view.
quarkdude

Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 PM
quarkdude
Junior User
Another pic of the truck

quarkdude

Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
'Nice rig to start with. The color is "Medium Copper"

I can explain its relative good condition... you're in the southwest (New Mexico) and the rig was sold out of DSO 75... Phoenix. The arid climate has preserved it relatively well... especially the virgin rear wheel arches. Now THAT is rare.

Oddly, while it had no power options (steering, brakes) it used to have AC - a smart idea in the desert.

Enjoy your truck!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:04 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
You desert guys get all the rust free deals.....yes I am jealous and welcome to FTE.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 PM
quarkdude
Junior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
'Nice rig to start with. The color is "Medium Copper"

I can explain its relative good condition... you're in the southwest (New Mexico) and the rig was sold out of DSO 75... Phoenix. The arid climate has preserved it relatively well... especially the virgin rear wheel arches. Now THAT is rare.

Oddly, while it had no power options (steering, brakes) it used to have AC - a smart idea in the desert.

Enjoy your truck!
Hello HioSilver,
The A/C compressor that mounts on the drivers side of the engine I still have and it is complete. When I got the truck about 4 years ago, I pulled the compressor to make it easier to get to the fuel pump and fuel lines - the truck sat so long the fuel system was completely clogged as you could imagine. I do plan to "one day" put the A/C system back together and get it working again. The would be pretty "COOL", if you know what I mean.
quarkdude

Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by quarkdude
Hello HioSilver,
The A/C compressor that mounts on the drivers side of the engine I still have and it is complete. When I got the truck about 4 years ago, I pulled the compressor to make it easier to get to the fuel pump and fuel lines - the truck sat so long the fuel system was completely clogged as you could imagine. I do plan to "one day" put the A/C system back together and get it working again. The would be pretty "COOL", if you know what I mean.
quarkdude
Ahoy quarkdude.
Good call on saving the compressor. Man, with how hot it gets in NM and AZ, I'd have that puppy reinstalled in no time flat. I drove through NM and AZ on I-40 back in 1990 with no AC... and it was 106 degrees and I was only wearing swimming trunks. My personal cooling system consisted of alternating wet washclothe to cool my head, face, and back. The heat was suffocating.

I think it's kinda strange that the previous owner opted for AC but couldn't muster to check PS or PB on the order sheet. Priorities I guess.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:17 AM
quarkdude
Junior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Ahoy quarkdude.
Good call on saving the compressor. Man, with how hot it gets in NM and AZ, I'd have that puppy reinstalled in no time flat. I drove through NM and AZ on I-40 back in 1990 with no AC... and it was 106 degrees and I was only wearing swimming trunks. My personal cooling system consisted of alternating wet washclothe to cool my head, face, and back. The heat was suffocating.

I think it's kinda strange that the previous owner opted for AC but couldn't muster to check PS or PB on the order sheet. Priorities I guess.
Hola HioSilver,
Yea, it gets pretty hot here, but as we say, "It's a Dry heat" ha ha. Still, A/C is very nice. The truck was my wifes - Uncle's truck. He had a club foot on the the left side so the heavy clutch was getting too hard for him to use so he parked it and it sat since the mid 80's until he "Gave it" to me in around 2004 or so. A free truck, whoohoooo! He bought the truck when it was only about 3 years old and he got it from El Paso,Tx. So the truck as only been in NM, TX and with your kind build info from AZ as well. So it really only has the 44,000 original miles on it. The sun has made it look like it has a lot more miles on it than that, however. He used to like to feed the pigeons around his house, so he kept bird seed on the seat. Well, that brought mice into the truck. So this is why the dash and carpet are all taken apart right now - been trying to clean up the ventalation hoses and interior. Plan to put it all back together so it doesn't look soo bad. The truck body is pretty straight for the age - the paint needs to be done really bad - but hey, it's original paint - ha ha.
quarkdude

Old 06-02-2012, 08:22 AM
quarkdude
Junior User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
You desert guys get all the rust free deals.....yes I am jealous and welcome to FTE.
Hello 77&79F250,
Thanks for the kind words on the truck. I took a look at your garage pictures and am "jealous" of your Blue 4x4 (the one in your avatar). Now that is one cool truck. Kinda wish I had one like that.
quarkdude

Old 06-02-2012, 02:57 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Nice truck, It does have some options Build date 12/77 Bright trim and gauge pack ...

Old 06-02-2012, 03:54 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Hello 77&79F250,
Thanks for the kind words on the truck. I took a look at your garage pictures and am "jealous" of your Blue 4x4 (the one in your avatar). Now that is one cool truck. Kinda wish I had one like that.
quarkdude
Thanks for the thanks, yea I like it. I need to get on some issues it is having. There is always something on the dang things.

I just cant see to ever get on one project and get it completed, I wonder why? You a great condition base to start with just a little tlc and polish and there you go.

Attached Images    
Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 PM
'79Fordpilot
Junior User
Just added some pictures for all of you to view.
quarkdude
Nice ride quarkdude! Are these trucks hard to find in your area in similar condition? Have fun!

Quick Reply: 1978 Ford F100 Ranger/Explorer Newbie