Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner
Old 11-18-2014, 05:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Finally jumped off the Motorcraft battery carousel...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Finally jumped off the Motorcraft battery carousel...

I finally broke free from the Motorcraft 750 amp battery chains that have bound me since time began. Since '99, my truck has gone through batteries every 2 years almost like clockwork. These last 2 sets have been even worse...they failed at around 20 months. Every time I take my truck to the dealer with battery problems I mention that my truck should have 850 amp batteries but they swear that the spec says 750 amp. I try to argue but they aren't listening.

Because of the way the warranty works, the dealer will replace the first set for free under the 36 month warranty but the warranty does not start over for the second pair. So, when the second pair go bad, the warranty period goes back to the time money first came out of my pocket. So, over the years this has usually meant that half the time I get my batteries replaced for free and the other half are pro-rated.

The pro-rated amount has always been less than a new pair somewhere else so I just bite my tongue and let the dealer install ANOTHER set of Motorcraft 750 amp lumps and I'm good for another 24 months.

Well, this time I've had enough. According to the dealer, the pro-rated cost for a new pair would be $150 so I ponied up the extra $30 and got myself a brand new set of Interstate 850 amp batteries from Costco. They are exactly the same case but the Interstate batteries are definitely heavier. Hopefully they will last a bit longer than the 750 amp jobs that had their hooks in me for all these years.

Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad, rest his soul...always told me, get the biggest battery you can fit...with a battery...unfortunately technology is still lagging. You can get bigger(ampswise) than what you bought that should still fit, my mc's are starting to look like yours, the tell tale stains around the caps. I won't be getting new from a dealership, but I will be going with the highest amp batteries I can fit.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:39 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
The PO put new batteries in right before I bought it. How long can I expect them to last? Not showing any signs yet.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:43 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

A friend of mine with a 7.3L recently bought new batteries at the dealership. Naturally he wanted the most CCA but he said the parts guy told him that without the dual alternators his truck required less CCA and more would result in some sort of damage, I can't remember to what. He already bought them so we moved on to another subject.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I wish you well with your Interstates. They have always been my favorites, but I only got about 3 1/2 years out of my last set.
Was hoping for a bit more but....
I went with Walmart Max this time with 3 yr free replacement. (only because they opened a new wally world 2 miles from my house, and It was convenient )
If they give me trouble, I'll try something else.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
The PO put new batteries in right before I bought it. How long can I expect them to last? Not showing any signs yet.
They should (and hopefully) give you sign when they get weak. My interstates gave me about a two week warning with slower than normal cranking. That's when I should have changed them out, but I let the truck sit for a few days and it went flat dead....

Old 05-31-2012, 02:54 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Franko72
They should (and hopefully) give you sign when they get weak. My interstates gave me about a two week warning with slower than normal cranking. That's when I should have changed them out, but I let the truck sit for a few days and it went flat dead....
Well, luckily I have the exact date and mileage of the new batteries. I found a pocket notebook in the glovebox after I bought it. A feeble attempt at a maintenance record, but it had the batteries listed. And thats all that was listed lol

Old 05-31-2012, 03:45 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep us posted

keep us posted on how the new ones pan out. I have a pair of Napa 750's that came with my truck 3 years ago next week. I think they were new then, but they aren't punched so not certain. Not sure if I have been just lucky, or they are that good.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:07 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Originally Posted by honeydew
... the parts guy told him that without the dual alternators his truck required less CCA and more would result in some sort of damage ...
Gotta love those parts guys

Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
I wish you well with your Interstates. They have always been my favorites, but I only got about 3 1/2 years out of my last set.
I went with Walmart Max this time with 3 yr free replacement. (only because they opened a new wally world 2 miles from my house, and It was convenient )
Hey Frank, I to run the Walmart Max Batteries, have ever sense the OEM ones craped out on me. First set lasted 2 weeks shy of 3 years, They replaced them, This set I'm running now got just over 3 1/2 years on them.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I have Wal-mart brand in my RV....they lasted me 4 years so far. If I have troubles with them this summer I'll probably replace them with the same brand. Wal-marts are everywhere....even in the forest.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
I have Wal-mart brand in my RV....they lasted me 4 years so far. If I have troubles with them this summer I'll probably replace them with the same brand. Wal-marts are everywhere....even in the forest.
That's the reason I run Walmart batteries...Walmart is everywhere if I need a warranty replacement. I got five years out of my last set from Walmart.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 PM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
I must really have good luck with the Motorcraft batteries; the originals from when I bought the truck lasted 6 years, now I'm on year 5 on the 2nd set. I dont really think that they are necessarily superior though; being that there is only a couple of battery manufacturers that brand name for everyone. I do think my batteries may have a pretty nice environment when the truck is sitting, which is quite often.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Interestingly enough I have an Interstate battery in my 5'r
1 year old, so far so good.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:15 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Only time will tell on longtivity and load useage, campers, trailer lights, exct. as you know. With me running a bunch of bulb style running lights and gadets I'm somewhat harder on my charging system so only time will tell. Wal-mart Max's here also now, will be 3 years in Nov. and they're still cranking. Just a bit of info, every once and a while I put them on a slow deep charge to keep things up to par, not to mention checking the water levels, if not a sealed battery. Good luck, hope you get the miles deserved.

Quick Reply: Finally jumped off the Motorcraft battery carousel...