Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2012, 06:48 AM
Senior User

bryanknie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Average cost of paint job? what range have you paid?

Truck is a 1952 F1. What is the range to expect for the following job, including dissasembly and reasembly.

Only needs about 3 spots the size of a cell phone that needs rust repair/new metal welded in. on on each rear fender where it meets the running board and on on the passenger door, other wise truck is real solid.

Cab will be painted frame on but will be totaly striped of all glass rubber, doors, gauges etc.

All other body panels will come off to be painted, including bed. No total stipping/sandblastng will be needed, just in any problem areas.

Over all I am looking for a nice driver paint job, base coat with non metalic paint and clear coat, ie a new car quality job, not a show job that is color sanded etc.

Just looking for some ranges, ie what you did and what was the cost vs quality
Old 05-31-2012, 07:59 AM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Too many variables to guess....Depends on what you want and how much of the work you are willing to do.
Body shops charge $50-$100 per hour for labor, which adds up quick. Good quality materials for the job will be $1000 plus......
My best suggestion is find a shop/painter that is HONEST and won't jerk you around. Get references.

You get what you pay for......
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 AM
Elder User

ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.
I haven't had my truck done but I did have the Mustang done just as you described. The car was basicily a shell when it went to the painter and had very minor rust spots the were repaired with metal. They did strip the old paint down to bare metal. The job was a base coat /clear coat. it cost 7K. I am doing the body work on my 48 myself, hoping to save a few bucks.

What Toy Should I Play With Today
Still A Kid After All These Years.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Elder User

cruisetopdown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.cruisetopdown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Years ago I had a friend that owned a body shop that let me rent his downdraft booth for $75.00. I painted my Fathers 67 Mustang Fastback on a Sat. when they were not busy....My Father asked the painter (who had just stopped in to pick up some tools) how much his paint job would have cost if it was run through the shop, he looked it over and casually said "about 8 grand just for the paint job" .... I think my dad coughed up his left n*t on that one
Tinman is right in that you will want to research your area for a reputable shop, have them tell you their processes, what brands of materials they will use, etc..... just remember "you get what you pay for"
Best of luck,
w
Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to all
There are a lot of experienced folks on this forum who could go into great detail on this topic but if you are really looking for revelant info then your best bet is to take the truck to a few local shops for estimates.

Here's an interesting story that shows how prices can vary...a local father/son shop works on quite a few Corvettes. The Corvette crowd is used to paying through the nose for any work or parts so price isn't usually an issue. BUT...the old man has been stripping paint on these fiberglass bodies for so long that he can do a complete car in less than a day. Did I mention he uses a single edge razor blade? To the point, his labor for this task is a few hundred dollars and materials amount to pocket change. This same job in another shop would cost thousands.

Find a local guy who can explain the process in terms of hours and skill level. Have him lay out the cost of materials and explain the value of one brand/product over another. Most shops use only one brand because they know their product line and have a lower risk of failure if they use the same product over and over. If you are getting a BC.CC job then be sure to have them spray an additional coat of clear, it won't coat that much more and it will insure that you have plenty of paint to work with when you later choose to colorsand and buff.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
You'll likely be paying for a lot of frustration and "ugly work" that is common when disassembling these trucks, frozen bolts, etc. If he's doing re-assembly then he'll want all new hardware/rubber on the bed, glass, and such, so your costs will include that stuff. That kind of work is much more in the "restoration shop" scope of work than a paint and body shop trying to push jobs through the shop as fast as possible. You're easily in the $10k+ range IMO.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Junior User

SanDiego56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Charlie, do you have any recommendations for shops in San Diego area?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego56 View Post
Charlie, do you have any recommendations for shops in San Diego area?
Since I do all my own work I don't have a feel for a broad spectrum of shops in this area. SoCal in Santee does very professional show-quality work with a corresponding price tag. Jerry Goulet has his own shop off I8 on the south end of Lakeside...Jerry used to work for SoCal and then opened his own shop. Same quality as SoCal at less cost. Then there is always Jack White, he's out in Campo/Lake Morena area...many old-timers swear by Jack and for good reason. All these shops are top-shelf so don't expect to get a Maaco price quote from them...but if you want quality then any of the three would work.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Posting Guru

ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hey Bryan,
I've been wondering what your truck looks like now - that would help with guesstimates on Paint, etc. My truck below was sandlblasted & totally disassembled for painting - $7K is in the ballpark for the cost.

If you just want a truck that looks ok - you should be able to do $2K to $3K - it would be best if you do the prep work up front. It's a can of worms when they start fixing rust & grinding away - it can add up in a hurry.

Good luck over there - show us what your truck looks like as it sits now.
(We lived in Ft. lauderdale for 7 years - nice once all the tourists go home).

Ben in Austin
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Posting Guru

Stephen67 has a good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a good reputation on FTE.
I like to paint things myself, I can tell you the cost of materials is at least $1000. You spend $100s on just sand paper believe it or not.

The way I saw it was I could learn to paint, even screw up half a dozen times and still have it be cheaper than paying someone else. With that being said I don't know why they call it painting a car as I spent 99.99% of my time sanding, lol. If you have a garage you can mask off and use I would highly suggest it, the best moment of a build is when when you finally lay some paint down, it's quite fun and there is nothing else like seeing a "project" become a "truck". Just takes a little know how on a few things.

I've been quoted $4000 to have it painted AFTER all the body work was done and it was in primer. Don't be afraid to consider doing it yourself, it's a lot of fun.

Wanted: '53-56 horn button, '56 wiper arm
Parts I have that I don't need: F600 Running boards, F600 running board brackets (2), 272 fuel pump
Old 05-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Senior User

KGP50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I absolutely "second" everything that Sephen67 said! Doing your own body and paint work is a great way develop a satisfying skill that you'll use on other projects and to build your shop & tool inventory (investing your $$ instead of paying it away ). Even if you just get the project through to primer and pass it on to a paint shop for the finish work, you'd be way ahead. I know some shops don't want to paint on others body/primer work but, those that take that approach seem to find a capable and willing shop eventually. When I began my first project, I couldn't begin to understand why a good paint job would cost more than $5,000. When the project was done, I thought $5K would have been a steal!! Anyway ... just a little encouragement here to consider taking it on yourself if you're at all so inclined. -Ken
Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Posting Guru

schoo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
stephen what is your spray like?
i'v painted some beaters and a little body work but a lead on what tools would help!
roy
Old 06-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Elder User

Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
Here's an interesting story that shows how prices can vary...a local father/son shop works on quite a few Corvettes. The Corvette crowd is used to paying through the nose for any work or parts so price isn't usually an issue. BUT...the old man has been stripping paint on these fiberglass bodies for so long that he can do a complete car in less than a day. Did I mention he uses a single edge razor blade? To the point, his labor for this task is a few hundred dollars and materials amount to pocket change. This same job in another shop would cost thousands.
I strip my cars with a razor blade to this day. Talk about saving a ton of time and sand paper! And actually a lot less of a mess too. Was showed this trick many years back by a veteran backyard painter.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Senior User

bryanknie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
You'll likely be paying for a lot of frustration and "ugly work" that is common when disassembling these trucks, frozen bolts, etc. If he's doing re-assembly then he'll want all new hardware/rubber on the bed, glass, and such, so your costs will include that stuff. That kind of work is much more in the "restoration shop" scope of work than a paint and body shop trying to push jobs through the shop as fast as possible. You're easily in the $10k+ range IMO.
Yes your 10K number is about where I am at, doing new rubber hardware etc. It may go higher as I seem to be adding on more and more work as this shop does mechanical work too....LOL. Painter stated all parts will be at retail cost or less, so I am OK with that. I have had a few estimates and the shop i am picking has great references seems to have all kinds of classics move through there there every week. This shop does not advertise, but all the guys at the local car shows all use him, he is well respected.

Thanks for the opinion guys I felt like I might be overpaying, but I want a nice job.

I have painted a few things myself, my Model A's etc, I have never paid for much work if any on my toys, I guess I have had sticker shock. However I travel extensively for my job and just dont have the time. I turn 50 this year so this is my Birthday present to my self!

Last edited by bryanknie; 06-01-2012 at 06:22 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Senior User

HEAVY100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
mine is already primered and waiting for me to choose the color , which I still have no clue what color to paint it .
Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
2002, average, cost, costs, cover, crossover, ford, full, job, much, paint, price, prices, size, tonneau, truck, trucks