Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Senior User

devongarver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation Transmission Overheating!!

Ok,

This is 3rd party information...BUT. A freind of mine has a friend with a 2011 Crew Cab with the 6.2 in it. He tows a 7000k travel trailer with it, and keeps having overheating issues. It keeps smoking the trans. Ford rebuilt it once, then replaced it the second time. Then they added a massivve oil cooler for the transmission, but the engine temp is still at 250*F and the Trans Temp is at 280*F, just from towing this 7k travel trailer. Has anyone else had issues like this? This is the first I have heard of this with these trucks?? What can he look for?

Thanks guys
Coil On Plug Info Re: Modular Ford Engines
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 AM
New User

mahelinski is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nope,

Pulled our 8,400 pound camper from mid Michigan all the way up through the UP of Michigan then down through Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana on the way home last summer. Never ran hot, pulled the camper like it was not even behind us.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Senior User

03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.
First, what is the frontal area of the travel trailer?

Ford says not to tow a trailer with a greater than 60 sq. ft. frontal area, regardless of trailer weight. (Also worth noting, for a trailer of that weight he needs to be pulling it with either a weight distributing hitch or fifth wheel.)

After that, I would be looking at the trailer's axles and brakes. Make sure the axles are straight and properly aligned, make sure the wheel bearings are good, make sure the brakes are good and properly adjusted. Anything binding or out of alignment could drive temperatures way up, even if it's not binding enough to make it noticeable to the driver.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Senior User

Those are good points I did not even think of them I will talk to him and tell him to check those things.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
New User

mahelinski is starting off with a positive reputation.
Also have him check the breakaway brake cable on the trailer.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Senior User

Mr. Mcbeevee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Might also see if he checked his mpg's. Would be much lower than normal if somehing was dragging (brakes etc).
Old 06-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Senior User

OK guys, I got another update.

This is the text message my friend sent me today...

"He hauls a travel trailer, a 7k Utility trailer, and a 15k Dump trailer. The odd thing is it's not consistent. It may go weeks with a combination of trailers with no issues, then all of a sudden it starts slipping like a ****. The trans has been rebuilt or replaced 5 times, new cooler lines, rad and aux trans cooler, PCM has been replaced, trans wiring harness, and transfer case."

So.....this isn't likely to be any of the above mentioned ideas...
Coil On Plug Info Re: Modular Ford Engines
Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Freshman User

blueline38 is starting off with a positive reputation.
overheating

NOPE,

I tow a 30' travel trailer that weighs about 8,000lbs loaded and have no problems. That's often at 75mph on the highway.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Senior User

03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.
This is difficult to diagnose without having the truck/trailers in front of me. I would be looking for some sort of pattern in the vehicle's behavior and operating temperatures.

Having had basically every mechanical item replaced, it sounds like the issue is either caused by something he is doing wrong or is caused by something software related.

On a side note, he is making sure to use tow/haul mode while towing, right? Towing a heavy trailer in the normal fuel economy mode is a great way to roast a trans. Also, he shouldn't be towing with a new/rebuilt trans until he puts 500 miles of mixed driving on it (break-in period).
Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Senior User

Sargemo105 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is not a solution posting, just another affirmation that your friends truck is fubar. I tow a 36 foot travel trailer at 10,000+ pounds, and in the heart of summer in high altitudes at times, and the transmission never exceeded 210°
Old 06-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Posting Guru

kmonty2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.kmonty2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
kmonty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargemo105 View Post
This is not a solution posting, just another affirmation that your friends truck is fubar. I tow a 36 foot travel trailer at 10,000+ pounds, and in the heart of summer in high altitudes at times, and the transmission never exceeded 210°
I think you are correct. Mine never gets over 198 while towing with a golf cart in the bed too.

Kevin
2011 F-250 CC, 6.2 Gas, 3.73, 4x4 w/FX4, Tuxedo Black, Steel Cloth interior,Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's, Air Aid Intake, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Hellwig adjustable sway bar, 5 Star Tuned, Line X bed liner, X Tang Tri-Fold bed cover.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Post Fiend

biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by devongarver View Post
OK guys, I got another update.

The trans has been rebuilt or replaced 5 times, new cooler lines, rad and aux trans cooler, PCM has been replaced, trans wiring harness, and transfer case."

WOW...I would find another dealer that new what they were doing. Sounds like they are guessing...and then not putting parts back correctly.

Anytime a auto tranny is rebuilt or replaced...the tranny cooling system must be replaced.

I think it might be time for a FORD buy back...that truck is toast!

biz

2012 FORD F250 SD CC 156" Lariat FX4 6.2L BOSS 4x4 4.30s
2003 F250 SD SC 142" XLT FX4 V10 Auto 4x4 3.73s -- Traded
1976 F150 LWB Custom 4x4 390FE NP435 3.50s
Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 PM

2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
This is the first I'm reading of this many r&r's on a trans, what a mess. Your buddy has much more patience than I ever would have had.

Time to lemon law that thing and get into a new one!

Matt
2011 F350 - 6.2 CC, LB, 4.30s, Lariat Ultimate pkg, FX4, Amp steps, Lockpick, AC LC6i, JL HD900/5, JL 13TW5, JL C5-570's, Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, Rancho RS9000XL's, Leveled w/ 35" Toyo M/T's and 5 Star tuned
**Sold - 2000 F250 V10, 6.5" Pro Comp, 37" Toyo MT's
Old 06-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Elder User

Ricohman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT View Post
First, what is the frontal area of the travel trailer?

Ford says not to tow a trailer with a greater than 60 sq. ft. frontal area, regardless of trailer weight. (Also worth noting, for a trailer of that weight he needs to be pulling it with either a weight distributing hitch or fifth wheel.)

After that, I would be looking at the trailer's axles and brakes. Make sure the axles are straight and properly aligned, make sure the wheel bearings are good, make sure the brakes are good and properly adjusted. Anything binding or out of alignment could drive temperatures way up, even if it's not binding enough to make it noticeable to the driver.
Is that 60 exposed square feet? Or does this take into account how much air the truck is pushing?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Posting Guru

Racer5349 has a good reputation on FTE.Racer5349 has a good reputation on FTE.
I feel for your buddy. I bought '97 350 CC 7.3 and smoked a tranny in 2 days. They replaced it. I drove it home 10 miles and that one was junk too. Luckily, 2 of them in 3 days made it very easy to convince the dealer I didn't want it any more. Turns out a cooler line was pinched flat. I know you said everything's been replaced, so I can't offer anything worthwhile.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8

Tags
2005, 250, expadition, f250, f350, ford, heating, incidence, overheating, problem, problems, tansmission, trans, transmission, truck, tsb