Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 shuts off while driving tested cps already

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 PM
johnymcfudge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 shuts off while driving tested cps already

Hello all I am new to the forums and a new owner of a ford truck.

The truck is a 2002 F450 7.3 diesel with about 120k Miles.

While driving from 45-70Mph the truck engine stops for about 1 second and starts back up by itself. I thought the problem was the cps so I replaced it with a ford CPS. Today the problem still persists. The truck engine turns off and comes back on, the tach drops to 0 rpm and so does the speed.

The Check Engine Light comes on and so does the water in fuel light and so does the Check Gage light. After I turn off the truck and start it back up the truck does not show the lights. I am new to fords and would appreciate your help.

EDIT: I believe I found the issue, but can't look into it today. While i was moving some of the wires on the truck I found out that if I move the red/black bunch just a little bit the truck shuts off and comes back on when i let it go. If anyone knows exactly what to look for then I will appreciate it Thank you.

Thank you.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I'd check all electrical wiring on top of the engine first. Even the wiring that goes to the big plug on the drivers side. They ware thur and short out sometimes. Also a sticking IPR sometimes do that on the HPOP. Do you have a scaner to check for codes. If so that would be a good step to let the guys on here help you better.

Chet

Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
johnymcfudge
New User
Unfortunately I do not have a scanner. I heard ford trucks need special scanners to get all the codes. What would be a good scanner to buy?

And I'm sorry but what is the IPR and HPOP.
EDIT: I found the acronyms so I will check those and report back

Also is oil on the cps normal?

Thanks

Old 05-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
No, if you have oil on the plug it is probably bad. Thats when you unplug it. I will run unplugged. Contact Clay at Riffraff diesel. He has the best scan package. These motor are electric per say. Theres a lot of it. If its not missing then die, its electric or IPR usually. If your below 1/4 tank of diesel, it could be fuel related to. The foot on the intake tube falls off or breaks.

Chet

Old 05-30-2012, 02:38 PM
johnymcfudge
New User
How can it run unplugged the Cam shaft position sensor is needed isn't it? It won't start without it. So oil on the Cam shaft position sensor is not good. Ok then I will check on what can be leaking.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:47 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by johnymcfudge
How can it run unplugged the Cam shaft position sensor is needed isn't it? It won't start without it. So oil on the Cam shaft position sensor is not good. Ok then I will check on what can be leaking.
Depends on where the oil is at. If it's the part that goes into the engine...oil is normal.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Also is oil on the cps normal?
Yes, Oil will be on the sensor pick-up. The front cover gets oil to provide lubrication to the cam/crank gear.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
... the tach drops to 0 rpm and so does the speed.

The Check Engine Light comes on and so does the water in fuel light. .....
With those symptoms, I would check the terminals on the PCM and IDM relays. Sometimes they can get a bit corroded and cause intermittent faults.

Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2012, 04:05 PM
johnymcfudge
New User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
With those symptoms, I would check the terminals on the PCM and IDM relays. Sometimes they can get a bit corroded and cause intermittent faults.
should i replace the relays to be sure? or would the truck not run if they were bad? Thnx.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:09 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could be a loose fuse, try to wiggle them one at a time while running and see if you can get the truck to die out. If you have any kind of chip I would remove that.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
should i replace the relays to be sure? or would the truck not run if they were bad? Thnx.
No reason to replace them just yet.

I would start the truck and give the relays a wiggle to see if the engine hiccups. If so, then you found your problem. If not, then you'll have to keep trouble shooting. You can pull the relays and inspect the terminals and see if they look normal. If in doubt, clean the blades with a bit of emery cloth and spray some electrical parts cleaner in the sockets.

You can also swap the blower and PCM relays since they are the same part number. If your blower motor begins to have problems, then a new relay is in order.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
johnymcfudge
New User
Originally Posted by tdpower
Could be a loose fuse, try to wiggle them one at a time while running and see if you can get the truck to die out. If you have any kind of chip I would remove that.
Since I just got the truck I don't really know where to look to see if I have a chip. Sorry about being so new to these.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:41 PM
PowerstrokeIt
New User
I am having the same issue!
I replaces the CPS and it didnt change a thing. I bought the one from ford. and when I removed the old one it seemed to be the original one.
My truck only dies going over bumps while holding the break usually. or if i turn the wheel hard to the left and slam the breaks on. I need help too!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:11 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I just got the truck I don't really know where to look to see if I have a chip. Sorry about being so new to these.

Here is a video of a chip install. Should help to see if you have one.

Diesel Movies - I install a DPTuner F5 chip in my buddies truck. Positions were Stock hi idle 60tow 80econo 120 race 140smoke.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 PM
johnymcfudge
New User
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeIt
I am having the same issue!
I replaces the CPS and it didnt change a thing. I bought the one from ford. and when I removed the old one it seemed to be the original one.
My truck only dies going over bumps while holding the break usually. or if i turn the wheel hard to the left and slam the breaks on. I need help too!
if its from bumps it may be the injector harness. I had that replaced recently on my truck since I was loosing a lot of power.

Quick Reply: 7.3 shuts off while driving tested cps already