1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
Old 11-24-2014, 06:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bed Side stakes pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Brian's 48
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X3, cool idea!

Old 06-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That's a cool idea Moe. I like cut too, I came across some older trucks that had some original ones cut like that, pretty neat.

My biggest obstacle with making it out of metal will be to keep the 50's feel. My goal with my truck had been to make it a modern daily driver 4x4, well a huge one at that, but still look like it might have just come out the 50s that way. Metal tends to be more modern but not always. I pride myself with my work of making everything flow together, working with what's around it while still making it something else. And thus I have to work that into how I advertise it as well.

I might for the time being make a temp set out of wood, and then really start to design and build something that's a lot more. The temp set will let me have something up in the mean time as I'm sure I could give months worth of thought to get a metal one just how I want it.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
That's a cool idea Moe. I like cut too, I came across some older trucks that had some original ones cut like that, pretty neat.

My biggest obstacle with making it out of metal will be to keep the 50's feel. My goal with my truck had been to make it a modern daily driver 4x4, well a huge one at that, but still look like it might have just come out the 50s that way. Metal tends to be more modern but not always. I pride myself with my work of making everything flow together, working with what's around it while still making it something else. And thus I have to work that into how I advertise it as well.

I might for the time being make a temp set out of wood, and then really start to design and build something that's a lot more. The temp set will let me have something up in the mean time as I'm sure I could give months worth of thought to get a metal one just how I want it.
I can see a lot of options you can do... metal works well in the 50's and I think if you think about it you could make it work to do both your goals, stay period correct and also display your talents. Is there somewhere you have some pics of some of your work?

Old 06-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
I actually just started building a website yesterday, I haven't had a need to have too much on the internet over the years, but business is really starting to grow for me and people have been asking. I do have a tiny bit of my work at Deviant Art:

Blacksmith work by Stephen67 on deviantART

Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My opinion (and I've already told you what it's worth) is that it isn't the material that makes it period correct, rather lettering and artwork. I plan on putting side racks on mine also and using a font called 'Airstream' that has a fifties look to it. The dilemma horns I'm riding is how to put a .com on there while keeping a fifties appearance!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
I started a set of these today, took a few ideas on here and I think they came out pretty awesome. This was just a mock up, I still have to carve everything in and finish the wood. Since I need to remake my bed, or just buy a new one anyways, I figured these could be a temp set as well. I need something that works for now, and in time when the idea has fermented do something that's more later on, I still want to work some iron work into it, but right now my schedule is very packed and that's a decent project.

The oak I had on hand wasn't as thick as I wanted, and since right now my bed's wood consists of "rotted" and "plywood over that" I figured a bit of pine would be ok for now. To do it this thick out of good oak will probably cost me $500 easily, and I wasn't completely positive on what I wanted but needed something.

I ended up doing the 7" on top and 5" on the bottom. I think it came out pretty awesome. Right now the posts are still in with duct tape and baggies on them (that ought to get the town talking as everyone does drive by) as it turns out I made things a little too snug... and can't get them out, lol. But since it's all temp it will be fine.

(Note the whole town driving by, lol)

This is what a 5" on top and bottom looked like, didn't seem to balance as well. And yes, right now I need a ladder to get in the bed.

So, time to get everything laid out, carved out, stained, painted, finished and what not, and get them up. Pics later on with that... I've wanted these on my truck since before I had it, glad to see I still do when I need them! lol

Old 06-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Those look really good Stephen. I agree with the wider boards on top. Nice job!

Old 08-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Got them finished and mounted yesterday. (I waited on pictures till I was sure it was ok to post something with my business information on here)

The lettering is all carved in, and by having the face of them white and the sides black (which was a pain to paint btw) it makes it readable at almost every angle.

I do really like how the changed the balance of the truck. They made it... I dunno, stouter. I had wanted side boards on this truck since I bought it, just not something you see anymore but it fits so well on these old trucks.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Those look great!

Old 08-04-2012, 04:29 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, they look great!

Is that a stencil of Pauley in the bed?

Old 08-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Thanks, I sure do like the new look

lol yep, that's her as Abby. Got bored one day, made a stencil for the fun of it. I plan on turning this bed into a trailer when I get my new one (this one is beat up and rusted badly, least enough to not be worth the work to repair it) so it was just a little fun. I put it there so I could see it but no one driving by could, lol.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Great way to advertise your business!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
That's my hope with it. I originally got into older trucks because I wanted a great business truck, and with mine style is everything. The whole town knows the truck, people always stop by and say how much they like it (I've yet in all the years I've owned it been out there working and not have someone say something about it). People look a lot more at what the business is when they like the truck, keeps it from blending in. Won't be long till "that big red truck" is known as the "Evermore truck".

Now to get that powertrain I want in there and really get it working.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
I like that you're thinking outside the box with your business advertising and you are really bringing back the spirit of why these trucks were built... to work.