aux batteries, inverters, etc. need a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:03 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, i did some planning ahead. my "big" one is the 26 gallon harbor freight red one, labeled 1.8HP and 13.5 amps. my "small" one is a porter-cable pancake style labeled at 0.8HP and 10 amps. both are at 150 PSI. when i first got the small one, i tried running it off the 750w inverter i had at the time, and fried the inverter. it was all the excuse i needed to upgrade to my current unit.
as you probably know, most inverters today are rated with a starting load of about double the running load. in my case 1500 running, 3000 starting. so they can tolerate a big starting load without frying - as long as the wires running to them are big enough.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*new question on my system*

yesterday i went to swap out the alternator on the aux system, as the diodes appear to be failing, and it was flashing its indicator light at me too much. it was another junkyard unit, and put out too high of a voltage, so my inverter refused to run on it when the engine was on. so tonight i decided to go back to the first one until i take the latest JY unit back for a different one.

when doing the work, the circuit breaker down by the aux battery was turned off, and the relay that connects the aux battery to the starting batteries was turned off. so there SHOULD be no power in the system. but the big wire coming from the alternator was carrying a shadow of power. allowing it to touch a grounded part produced a significant spark. so i took a test light to it, and things got stranger. when i put the test light from the wire to a ground, the bulb lit bright, then spent about 3 seconds fading until the filament of the bulb was an orange glow, and it would remain at that level indefinitely. so after doing this, i tried sticking the end of the test light to the positive battery post, and the bulb faded from half-lit to an orange glow again.
i'm trying to figure out how this faint trickle of current is getting there, as i can't think of any path this current could be taking, especially since it acts almost like a small capacitor with an even smaller supply of power into it.
any ideas?
i don't have any trouble with how my system operates, so i guess my question tonight is as much academic as it is troubleshooting, but there is nothing i can think of that could be doing this