Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by crsweet78
Heres another kit. Its more direct fit.

Ford AC Kits for Trucks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the one i have been looking at too. Trying to decide which one to get,with heat and air or keep my heat and add just the air. I have real good heat with a new motor and core. I would hate to remove it and find out later the new one cooled good but had a crappy low heater and defroster.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 AM
crsweet78
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the nostalgic air kit is the only option if you want a direct fit system. And I think their kits get pretty good reviews. I know Vintage air kits get really good reviews, they make direct fit units, just not for our year trucks.

luckily for my setup I only had to fill in the blower hole in the firewall, and then I ran my bulkhead in the old blowers spot. for the old heater hose and A/C holes I just stuck in some body plugs. To mount the unit I welded a stud to the top inside of the firewall, and one on each end of the unit on the underside of the dash. With the kit they give you some flat bar mounting brackets that bolt to the case and then those brakets mount to my studs. It didnt require to much cutting or drilling, just a few welded studs.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

I think the nostalgic air kit is the only option if you want a direct fit system. And I think their kits get pretty good reviews. I know Vintage air kits get really good reviews, they make direct fit units, just not for our year trucks.

luckily for my setup I only had to fill in the blower hole in the firewall, and then I ran my bulkhead in the old blowers spot. for the old heater hose and A/C holes I just stuck in some body plugs. To mount the unit I welded a stud to the top inside of the firewall, and one on each end of the unit on the underside of the dash. With the kit they give you some flat bar mounting brackets that bolt to the case and then those brakets mount to my studs. It didnt require to much cutting or drilling, just a few welded studs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mine should mount up about the same way,there's no big box in the engine compartment. I have a big box out of a 79 with a couple of control panels that have fuel tank switch in them that i could use .But i never did like that thing in my 79s it was to tight next to the engine. The one with the 460 was the worst. I want something more modern that fits right,so it looks like replacing all with their kit is the best way to go.Thanks for helping me decide which way to go.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 PM
crsweet78
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want pics of it mounted I can try to get you a few. So you can get an idea of how it fits.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:58 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

If you want pics of it mounted I can try to get you a few. So you can get an idea of how it fits.

Hey ,that would be great , thanks for the offer.

Or you can post them here so others can see, which ever works best for you.

Last edited by jim collins; 05-31-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: added more
Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ended up putting an Airtique (no longer in business) in mine. I tried to make the factory controls work and had a lot of trouble due to the different ways of making the vacuum work and the fan wiring 3 speed versus resistor.

In the end, I went with their controller.

The biggest downside is that it only recirculates inside air and when the humidity is high, it all fogs terribly. More people in the vehicle, even more fog. I think that is going to be the case for any aftermarket unit.

It sure blows good cold air even when it is 110 outside though.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
So I don't know the brand of this system off the top of my head, but it works great for me, and doesn't look like it requires a whole lot of cutting (it was in the truck when I bought it).

Pump

Control unit(?)

Mounting on a 460. The top bracket plus another one attaches the pump to the engine.

Condenser. Fits between the radiator and the hood latch

And here are the dash controls. Little thing, maybe 4 inches wide. Looks nice mounted on the bottom lip.

2 holes in the firewall, one for the hose coming out of the pump, and the other for the hose coming out of the control unit. Small blower motor mounts under the dash between the heater core and the dash face. From there, it has a vent on the far edges of both sides, and a double in the middle. The drivers side is above the headlight controls.

I'll take a look in the next day or so to see what brand it is.

sorry for the rant
-Jameson