1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil leak at flange, now dipstick tube is tweaked...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:33 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Oil leak at flange, now dipstick tube is tweaked...

Alright, so a week ago I noticed (just when I was loading for a 800 mile run) I was blowing oil out the bottom of the engine. Slid underneath and cleaned things up and saw what I thought was the point of origin...the dipstick flange. I ordered up the repair kit from Bob @ dieselorings.com. Today after doing another 800 mile run, I slide underneath the truck with a light and start cleaning up around the flange. What do I see? The dipstick tube out of the flange about a 1/2" and the o-ring just hanging there (big hint #1 ). No sweat I think to myself, Bob has a new o-ring for the dipstick tube in the kit. I remove the 2" flange nut...yada yada...and put it back together. Then I try to install the dipstick tube into the flange...uh oh! It takes me about a half hour and more cursing than a living man should be allowed to use, but I finally get the o-ring seated into the flange (that should have been a big hint #2 that there was a problem with the tube). I haven't replaced the starter yet. I tighted the 1/2" nut that holds the dipstick tube bracket to the valve cover. I go to put the dipstick into the tube and it won't go...WHAT???...well it will go for all except the last six inches or so. So now I surmise that somehow the dipstick tube was bent whenever it got yanked from the flange. I can't for the life of me think how that tube popped out with no visible dents though.

So now what? I think I see a new dipstick tube in my future...I sure wish Ford used a spiral spring dipstick like we have on our tractors...I bet it would go in no sweat. If anyone has the dipstick tube part number I sure would appreciate it. I hear a cold beer calling my name .

Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The flange should be keyed to the pan. Just making sure that was ok. IIRC there are two tabs on the pan that should line up with the flange. No help on the part number but ford should find it for you pretty quick.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tdpower
The flange should be keyed to the pan. Just making sure that was ok. IIRC there are two tabs on the pan that should line up with the flange. No help on the part number but ford should find it for you pretty quick.
The flange is keyed to the pan...the only problem is the dipstick will not go all the way down the tube assembly. I found the part at Tousley (part #12) but won't order until tomorrow morning. Anyone have one laying around ?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Thats funny because my intercooler pipe blow off and ever since its hard as h--- to get my dip stick back in. I can't find a dent in the tube, but it has to be. Hard to pull out, and hard to put in. For now I'm living with. Don't want to pull the motor. Nothing is leaking.

Chet

Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Thats funny because my intercooler pipe blow off and ever since its hard as h--- to get my dip stick back in. I can't find a dent in the tube, but it has to be. Hard to pull out, and hard to put in. For now I'm living with. Don't want to pull the motor. Nothing is leaking.

Chet
Might try Robin's tip in post 9 of this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...need-help.html

Mine was doing the same and fixed it. If it breaks you can blame Robin.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro

Chet
Might try Robin's tip in post 9 of this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...need-help.html
I ordered a new tube yesterday...$29. I read that post that Grant gave and I am going to look at that tonight when I get in. I bought the tube because I have got to get the truck back by Saturday for another run. Thanks guys for the help, I appreciate it.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chet
There is no need to pull the motor to change that dipstick flange.Several of us have changed the oring and the outer nut with success from the outside.