Here goes another head gasket thread...mine just went bye bye

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 AM
armydude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Here goes another head gasket thread...mine just went bye bye

SO,
Just noticed white smoke from tail pipe. NOooo!! Checked coolant reservoir, dry. Pulled oil dip stick, CHOCOLATE!!!!! CRAP!!

6.0 woes strike!! 150,000 miles. Ok, here is my plan of attack, WHAT DO YA THINK??

ARP Studs
Stock Head Gaskets
Sinister EGR Delete

now the questions;

1-With the EGR Delete will the engine throw codes??
2-Is the Ford Stock Oil Cooler the way to go or is there a better way? (Ive seen Bulletproofs oil cooler, interesting)
3-Will the pan get dropped to clean it? And, if it does should I replace the oil pump as preventive maint?
4-What has to be done to the turbo since it probably has chocolate instead of oil in the bearings?
Does the A/C get disassembled and emptied for this?

AND, can anybody please give me a heads up on the stuff I have forgotten or good ideas?! I only want to do this once and will spend the money now to do it right. I liked the Bulletproof oil cooler system BUT NOT where they mounted it. Couldnt I get it mounted in front of the condensor and put small fan on it?

I live in South Florida and I do tow a few trailers with decent weight to North Carolina and back frequently.

Thanks evreybody!!
Ian

2004 6.0 PSD 150,000 miles 4x4 Limited, BLACK AND SEXY

Old 05-28-2012, 04:15 AM
armydude
Senior User
Oh, I forgot, Would it be beneficial if I put on a coolant filtration system?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Had a feeling I'd see you here one day! Sorry 'bout Betty man! With a little love she'll be up and running again. Tim's truck is NICE now that EGR and studs put in. He also runs a tow tune. No codes. I believe you have to have one to stop the codes form showing up. On his, he put Black Onyx gaskets, but my tech here says he's had no problem with stock one with the studs. In the X's, you have to pull the engine to get the oil pan off. Hope you are able to get a good diesel mechanic down there. I am sure they will be a lot less than a dealer for this.

Monty

Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 AM
jdhart73
Senior User
Sucks man, sorry to hear it!
I'm doing mine now and will give you the list of what I'm doing,
Keep in mind mine is preventative.

ARP Studs
OEM Gaskets
Ford Oil Cooler
EGR delete (sinister)
Blue spring Mod
Take cylinder heads to machine shop get decked to spec.
Coolant filter (diesel site)
Swap to Cat-ELC coolant

Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Yes the coolant filter is an important mod, you could do fuel pressure & exhaust temp gaude or sender at least. Matt @ gearhead preformance will write you custom tunes for your application.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:42 AM
armydude
Senior User
Blue Spring Mod? That's new. What's that about jdhart73?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by armydude
Blue Spring Mod? That's new. What's that about jdhart73?
The OEM spring in your fuel pressure regulator weakens over time allowing the fuel pressure to drop below 45psi.

Ford has a rebuild kit with the "blue spring" that will raise the pressure to 60 to 65psi, kit part 3C3Z-9T517-AG. It's a complete kit with a new FPR housing.

If you want just the spring and seal, the part #6E7Z-9C165-B.

Stewart

Old 05-28-2012, 03:44 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better go to 6.0 L section and ask them about your issue. I remember reading somewhere about clean the engine block with some type of cleanner since it has oil in it (either simple green or disc washing soap). Need to confirm on the procedures before dive in. Also, I would think the head gaskets, egr cooler and oil cooler have to be replace before the engine cleaning. this is going to be tough for the oil cooler since there are contaimination in the coolant which will go thru the brand new oil cooler...

I am going to change my EGR cooler and Oil cooler next weekend since the delta are about 20* to 28* lately, nothing broke yet but I don't want to deal with oil mix with coolant.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:53 PM
46/71 Hybrid
Junior User
Are you doing the work yourself or are you farming it out to someone? When I was living in Ethiopia a good friend sucked water into his 6.0 and bent the rods. Not having my full assortment of tools I had to get creative. After we used a big tree and a hoist to get the cab off the rest wasn't too bad, it's somewhat simple once you get into it. If you need tips/tricks just let me know, I've BTDT.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:19 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
SO,
Just noticed white smoke from tail pipe. NOooo!! Checked coolant reservoir, dry. Pulled oil dip stick, CHOCOLATE!!!!! CRAP!!

6.0 woes strike!! 150,000 miles. Ok, here is my plan of attack, WHAT DO YA THINK??

ARP Studs
Stock Head Gaskets
Sinister EGR Delete

now the questions;

1-With the EGR Delete will the engine throw codes??
2-Is the Ford Stock Oil Cooler the way to go or is there a better way? (Ive seen Bulletproofs oil cooler, interesting)
3-Will the pan get dropped to clean it? And, if it does should I replace the oil pump as preventive maint?
4-What has to be done to the turbo since it probably has chocolate instead of oil in the bearings?
Does the A/C get disassembled and emptied for this?

AND, can anybody please give me a heads up on the stuff I have forgotten or good ideas?! I only want to do this once and will spend the money now to do it right. I liked the Bulletproof oil cooler system BUT NOT where they mounted it. Couldnt I get it mounted in front of the condensor and put small fan on it?

I live in South Florida and I do tow a few trailers with decent weight to North Carolina and back frequently.

Thanks evreybody!!
Ian

2004 6.0 PSD 150,000 miles 4x4 Limited, BLACK AND SEXY
Same diagnosis as a gas engine plus heats up and can bend rods.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:39 PM
armydude
Senior User
Took it to a shop. Will have it back mon or tues doin some pm and upgrades as long as its apart I just wish I could come to grips spending $2000 on an external oil cooler. I really want to do this upgrade from BulletProofDiesel. But, there has got to be away to do an external oil cooler without spending that money.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:40 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Took it to a shop. Will have it back mon or tues doin some pm and upgrades as long as its apart I just wish I could come to grips spending $2000 on an external oil cooler. I really want to do this upgrade from BulletProofDiesel. But, there has got to be away to do an external oil cooler without spending that money.
I am liking my gasser more by the minute.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EXv10

Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice...(insert sarcasm here)...rub it in. But diesel is just more fun. Yes, more fixes, yes, more for fuel, but just more fun. Anyone can drive a gas vehicle...we are diesel fans. We don't rain on your parade...leave this dude alone, jeesh! Why the ribbing at someone else's expense? I don't get it, this is an Excursion SUPPORT forum.

Now, let me add something CONSTRUCTIVE:

1. ARP head gaskets(don't forget the ARP lube)

2. Ford gaskets seem to be lauded by many as the better way to go(aftermarket isn't always better...look at our air cleaner, no reason to change it unless you're making crazy power).

3. I think the ford replacement oil cooler is just fine and unless you tow heavy A LOT I think bulletproofs oil cooler kit is way too much money, I would never buy it. You can do a lot with a 6.0 for $2K(new turbo?)

4. coolant filter is a good thing to get and super cheap insurance.

5. I am in the midst of doing a super coolant flush and going with CAT ELC coolant. Its a good thing to do, but I think if you change your gold stuff every 12-18 months you don't have too much to worry about. I've got 120,000 miles and I'm doing it cuz I'm bored.

6. You will need a tune if you delete to keep from throwing codes. You may consider Bulletproofs EGR then you throw NO CODES.

7. Good time for an exhaust upgrade...body off frame...sexy sounds...

8. I highly recommend a set of gauges or a scangauge or an edge insight gauge. I love my insight cs.

***is that spring upgrade for the 6.0 or the 7.3 or both? I've not hear of it....hmmm something ELSE to do!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:17 PM
tims01
Elder User
Originally Posted by lovestrucks
Bwaahahahah .. and i like my 7.3 even better

Quick Reply: Here goes another head gasket thread...mine just went bye bye