Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Freshman User

dougsbart is starting off with a positive reputation.
2004 Explorer 4.0L will not turn over

Went out at lunch, NO PREVIOUS SYMPTOM, 2004 Explorer 4.0L would not turn over, just clicked. I assumed i had a dead battery. it was not a dead battery. This is what i have done:

1) Pulled battery and had load tested, tested good
2) Assumed starter, pulled and had tested, tested good
3) Checked to make sure flywheel would turn (turned one and a half revolutions w/ screwdriver and starter removed
4) Re-installed starter, pulled signal wire, hooked remote starter switch... same condition, even w/ key off (so power to starter, remote switch on hot and signal, should turn over)
5) thought maybe bad battery that did not show in load test and swapped battery, same condition
6) Assumed the only thing left was a starter that would work in test condition, but not under load-like some kind of short in windings- swapped with a NEW starter, same condition
7) Checked fuel shutoff solindoid, not tripped
8) Swapped starter relay with blower relay, same condition
9) read on posts about PCM losing memory, have tried both keys, same condition. When testing with signal wire connected (through ignition switch)

sometimes after i turn key off (since this problem) gauges flutter below "0" for several seconds. Also, i have NO security light that seems to be common with PCM memory issue.

10) Checked voltage at starter and have 13V, when key (or remote switch) attempts to turn over voltage drops to 4V at starter, immediate recovery to 13V
11) I have visually inspected wiring, i would assume a short of this magnitude would have burned wiring.
12) I guess tomorrow i will attempt to indepedently wire starter (installed) to a seperate battery and turn over w/ remote starter switch.

I am at a total loss. if the ignition switch is off, and I am using a known good battery with a remote starting switch on a NEW starter, and i know the engine is not locked up, what could cause the voltage drop and refuse to let the engine turn over?

What could have happened with no previous symptom?

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am lying in the parking lot at work...Frustrated.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Postmaster

aquanaut20 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My friend
Basic electrics dictate you do not have a short, but rather a high resistance break..

Check the condition of the main wire from battery to starter....

Corrosion inside the plastic/rubber casing turns the copper to green sludge...Philip
Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Freshman User

I will check again, but visual inspection good, general condition of the vehicle is very clean and in the south, so no salt. and I have 12V at starter and almost 0 resistance through that lead.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Freshman User

I don't understand. New leads from known good battery to known good starter. using remote starter switch to eliminate ignition circuit, still will not turn engine over? Engine not locked up, i can turn from flywheel with a screwdriver?? Is there something that locks engine from turning over? I have never been this stumpted? I cannot believe I am going to call the tow truck.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Postmaster

aquanaut20 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If jumper-ed hot from B+ to main starter terminal and no spin, you need to check the ground return to the battery.... Philip
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 AM
New User

Diydarnell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Solution?

Dougsbart - any chance you found a resolution for this issue?? I have the exact same issue with my 04 Explorer. Unfortunately I am 52 miles from my uncle's shop. I've tested the battery and solenoid, but they are working well. I'm reading a lot about the wires to the starter being corroded or burned through. Today I will get under the truck to check that.

But if you have a solution to your problem, I'd love to hear it.

thanks!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 AM