1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brakes AND wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM
slammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front brakes AND wheel bearings?

I am going to replace rotors and pads on the front of my truck. I can see a groove in one and it feels like it might be metal to metal. I read somewhere on here that replacing the wheel hub bearing assembly is only 4 more bolts. Is that right? Could it be that simple?

I've done the searches and get confused. The brakes part of it is easy but I am not so sure about the wheel hub bearing assembly. Going to do it at a buddies with some adult beverages but it is my daily driver and I cant lay it up for even one day so any detailed information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Slammer

Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 PM
fmtrvt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noooooooo, not that simple. Unless you have hub issues just leave those alone.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:17 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If the bearings are good, there is no reason to go there. They are not a cheap replace part as the hub bearing unit are one assembly.
This site will give you a run down, and almost just 4 bolts and it is off.
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 AM
fmtrvt
Elder User
And a press, seals and special install tool, home made or bought. Not quite a little more then four bolts. Especially when the hub is rusted in the knuckle.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:07 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Also a message about the brakes. Make sure all brake caliper slider pins are moving free. My 08' pins were already rusted solid on one side. and gummed up on the other.

This will prevent even braking, and even wear on the pads. can even in some cases create a pulling situation

Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fmtrvt
And a press, seals and special install tool, home made or bought. Not quite a little more then four bolts. Especially when the hub is rusted in the knuckle.
That is only if and when you do the ball joints.
I have had the bearing hubs off numerous times to replace/ and or grease the needle bearings.
Check out the guzzle site and you will see what I mean.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:34 AM
fmtrvt
Elder User
You guys are right, you can do it that way. I'm just real hyper about replacing that main axle seal back there when it's apart.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 PM
slammer
Senior User
Thanks for the information guys.. I've been told that once the truck is up in the air, lifting up and down on the tire will tell if the wheel bearing is bad. true? Looking at Guzzles page, it looks fairly straight forward. I dont have auto hubs, does that mean I have to take the lock outs apart with the special deep socket?

On the brakes, I read somewhere that there is an upgrade for those pins. true? Are they a common item that the stealership or NAPA or Auto Value would have in stock?

thanks again for all the help....

Old 05-31-2012, 07:29 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by slammer
Thanks for the information guys.. I've been told that once the truck is up in the air, lifting up and down on the tire will tell if the wheel bearing is bad. true? Looking at Guzzles page, it looks fairly straight forward. I dont have auto hubs, does that mean I have to take the lock outs apart with the special deep socket?

On the brakes, I read somewhere that there is an upgrade for those pins. true? Are they a common item that the stealership or NAPA or Auto Value would have in stock?

thanks again for all the help....
I dont have the answer about the upgrade to the caliper pins. I have never heard of one, dosnt mean there is not one. Keep searching. Maybe someone will chime in that knows for sure.

Yes you can do several checks with the wheel in the air.

Prybar under tire lift it up and down, listen for clunks and look for movement. Push in and out on the whole tire and look listen for the same.
Alsopush alternately on the front and rear of the tire as if your trying to turn them. this can show you wear on the steering componants.
Good luck

oh ya inverstigate all clunks and movement...

Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 PM
wallz
Postmaster
4x4 hub will be same removal just a few different internals than auto hub. Guzzle site has the auto hub tear down to regrease also if you want.

The slide pins will be a ford part, and off guzzle main site he has a dedicated slide pin tutorial with the upgrade part #. Easy to do while in there with brakes apart.

Usually checking with 2x4 under tire and lifting while looking will give you idea about ball joints. Your bearing units you will hear while rotating hub. When you pull out 4x4 hub lock and if it looks dry, rusty or like crud then I would proceed to tear down further and remove hub bearing unit for cleaning and lube. Just the lock clip inside where 4x4 hub comes out and 4 bolts from back of bearing hub. Again guzzle has it on his site under needle bearing lube.
If you have never been in that far before or just got the truck it might be a good time to relive needle bearings any way, and it will give you a good start point for maint schedule. If your time permits.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 AM
slammer
Senior User
Thanks Wallz... If I just replace the entire hub assembly, will that take of it. I am more inclined to spend the money on new that to rebuild anything. I am mechanically inclined but its not really something I like to do...

In looking at guzzles page, it appears the hubs have lock outs on them, as do mine. If thats all there is to it, then I will tackle it, provided they are bad. Once the truck is off the ground, I will spin the tires and listen.

thanks for all the help. I do appreciate it.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:20 PM
wallz
Postmaster
When you price the 4x4 hub from ford you will see why I'm for preventative maint. Granted cheaper after market stuff, but I pull mine at least once a year, check, clean when needed and add lube. I put on my summer mussels last sat, re lubed front slide pins, pulled apart and lubed 4x4 hubs, and was all done in about 3 hrs. After doing it a few times you get faster, and no break downs just when you don't need one.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:54 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 PM
slammer
Senior User
Excellent video!! although something tells me it wont be that easy for me nothing ever is...lol.

One thing I noticed, I jacked my truck up in the air and spun the tire. I did not hear anything bad. I did notice the tire turned a bit before the u-joint did... does that mean anything...turned maybe 1/4 inch.

I then grabbed the front of the tire and the back of the tire and wiggled it to and fro. there was slop in the drivers side...passenger side was tight. Does this mean wheel bearing or ball joints?

I have a bit of vibration at low speeds and coasting but I know that my rotors need replacing...

I know its a pain in the a$$ answering all these questions but I could end up spending too much money just "winging it"

thanks very much for any and all help....

Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
You eather need to look yourself or have someone move the tire while holding it at 12:00 and 6:00 look for play in the ball joints. Jack the truck up from the axel. You may need to use a pry bar to move the tire and look. Sounds like ball joints. Bad bearings will make a binch of racket going down the road.

Quick Reply: Front brakes AND wheel bearings?