Sponsored by: Moser

Help Steering Valve Nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 02:34 PM
michellehmcclure
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Steering Valve Nightmare!!

My sons trucks Steering Valve was leaking so we asked a mechanic to fix it. Paid him for the part and also for shocks. We had used him before. So we had no problem paying for parts. Well after 3 weeks of not returning phone calls and not showing up when he said he said he lost steering valve. So after 400 part cost on ebay. $350 core charge because we don't have a core. We got the bandix style steering valve. Tried to put in on and noticed the Pitman arm was missing. Ordered that on ebay. 14 days later received that part. Tried to put that on. The mechanic did have the hoses fixed… A good thing. But the ends do not match the Steering valve. All holes in valve are 1/4.. The hoses we have are 1 male 1/4 end, 1 male 3/8 end, 1 female 1/4 end and 1 3/8 female end. The problem that I need help with is that I don't know where they go and which go where.. I have seen a diagram and I think that I got 2 hoses right but I am not sure.. I NEED HELP. I am posting Pics of everything I have. The first pic is the one I already put on but someone send a pic and they used the long straight hose for the ram?? Completely lost!!

Old 07-19-2014, 02:36 PM
michellehmcclure
Junior User
And on the Ram how do you know which hose goes in the valve and where

Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 07-19-2014, 03:24 PM
michellehmcclure
Junior User
So if you look at my pictures does it look right?/ The first 2 hoses??

Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Sorry I do not own a HB so can not go out and look....I'd be getting in your mechknuckleheads back side about loosing the part and the other BS.

If you took the truck to him with a pitman arm, my question to him would be where the hell is it?? You should NOT have to go locate one on ebay, and then have to pay for it, the truck HAD one before bone head got it right?

I would be livid and in that guys lack of business since....

Get a good set of maintenance manuals on CD, get on here (FTE) way more often for help, and get the son a good tool box w/tools and get to being a self taught wrencher .

Or get another mech with a better rep, and or locate some FTE chapter member folks in your state for a hand.

Attached Images     
Old 07-19-2014, 08:50 PM
michellehmcclure
Junior User
Thanks that has helped a lot!! I figured out that one of the hoses was a make shift hose that doesn't match diagrams. I wish I could get any of the parts back. Now I am messing with fittings that go into steering valve. I have 2 female ends that are 2 different sizes. I have been to a hydraulic shop 2x and autozone 2x too. None of them have worked. I am sooooo sick of it!!!

Old 07-19-2014, 09:09 PM
lurch460
Senior User
Have you found a pitman arm? i might have one. I have a whole bendix valve that has been rebuilt. Used to have the box and stuff to go with it. two hoses go to the pump pressure and return and two go the ram I took the whole setup off my 75, I know the only thing I sold was the ram, should have the rest

Old 07-19-2014, 11:15 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
As far as getting the correct fittings maybe a farm tractor repair place or heavy equipment place would have them?

Yes get on your mech knuckle head to locate you the original parts (he lost) or he should at least man/mechanic up and get you what you need or pay you for the parts you have to locate.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:00 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Your ram is different then what I have so the hoses at the ram are shaped differently but the labeled ports in this picture are where each hose should end up .. If you don't understand something then just ask .. You may have to take the arm off and take it in to the shop where your trying to get the adapter fittings to get your hoses to work ..

Old 07-20-2014, 12:07 AM
michellehmcclure
Junior User
I know this has been the worst thing ever!!! One thing after an other!! I am left trying to just figure out how to put it together!! I think minus fitting we finally have it all. I have the to hook up ram side still. The hoses look the same except fitting ends. one is 1/4 and other is 3/8… Any idea which side the ram has the larger hose??

Old 07-20-2014, 12:11 AM
michellehmcclure
Junior User
My ram has 2 ports at the end one right and one left… I can't see any difference. I brought the valve with me and had 2 of the hoses but I had put the ram hoses on the truck where I thought they went so I didn't bring them with.. What a mess. Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it!!

Old 07-20-2014, 12:14 AM
michellehmcclure
Junior User
I had the steering pump lines switched. I hope they are right now. The left is low pressure that hose clamps to the back of steering pump and right is the High pressure. You have been very helpful!

Old 07-20-2014, 12:22 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by michellehmcclure
I know this has been the worst thing ever!!! One thing after an other!! I am left trying to just figure out how to put it together!! I think minus fitting we finally have it all. I have the to hook up ram side still. The hoses look the same except fitting ends. one is 1/4 and other is 3/8… Any idea which side the ram has the larger hose??
Where did the ram (power cylinder) come from ? You may have the wrong one for the bendix arm you have ..

Old 07-20-2014, 12:30 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by michellehmcclure
I had the steering pump lines switched. I hope they are right now. The left is low pressure that hose clamps to the back of steering pump and right is the High pressure. You have been very helpful!
Sorry about that I have the pic labeled wrong ( It's late )
Front Left port = to high pressure line to power steering pump (It connects to power steering pump by high pressure fitting) I'll change it on the pic in a few ..

edit : pic corrected in post #9

Old 07-20-2014, 12:43 AM
michellehmcclure
Junior User
You have been such a great help. That is funny that is the ram that is on the truck. Hmmm… It must have been changed out some time. How will that effect it?

Quick Reply: Help Steering Valve Nightmare!!