Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Crossovers
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Posting Guru

DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2005 Freestyle Limited transmission service?

Hello-

I'm typically in the 87-96 forum, but have a special project I need your help with.

My church is doing a number of different service projects for the city of Des Moines this week, some of which include helping single mothers with problems they can't afford to fix.

One such project involves a 2005 Freestyle Limited. She took it in for an oil change and the shop that did it told her they recommend getting the transmission serviced. Myself and the friend I have helping me with this took that to mean a flush/fluid change and filter swap. So we went to the parts store to get what we needed, during which time we happened to get into conversation with a certified Ford mechanic who works for a local dealer. He told us that service on those transmissions was recommended about every 100k, and that included replacing some components inside the transmission as well; he also mentioned that simply flushing the fluid could potentially do more harm than good.

At the time, we had neglected to ask the owner if she'd been having problems with it, so we didn't have all the information we needed. So we went back to the owner. She said she wasn't having any problems with it at all, and there weren't even any service lights. She said the shop she took it to told her the tranny service should have been done at 40k.

Since we had this conflicting information, I decided to come to the one place I knew I'd get accurate info.

As I said, it's an '05 Freestyle Limited. I forgot to note the engine size, but it's got 62k with a CVT transmission. The bolt pan has 22 bolts if that helps at all.

That's all the info I got. If you need anymore just let me know and I will find out.

Thanks so much for helping out.

-Brian
"Official Project Stages: (1) Uncritical Acceptance. (2) Wild Enthusiasm (3) Dejected Disillusionment. (4) Total Confusion. (5) Search for the Guilty. (6) Punishment of the Innocent. (7) Promotion of the Non-participants."
-Unknown
Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Freshman User

Tenderpaw is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used to have a 2007 Freestyle. The CVT needs to be serviced every 60K per the owners manual. It uses a special fluid and filter and i recall the service was expensive. The fluid and procedure is critical. If you do it wrong, you will not be doing her a favor as you will ruin the CVT and it costs $5K to replace. Not servicing it is better than doing it wrong! I commend you for your efforts to help the community.

Dave
Old 06-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Senior User

03trueblue is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yep, same thing Dave said.

My wife drives a 2005 Freestyle that we have owned since new. The recommended service interval for the transmission (as listed in the manual) is every 60,000 miles, and it is a specialized proceedure for the CVT. I'm no mechanic, but I believe it is something like draining and replacing the special fluid (not flushing), and changing out a certain filter.

'13 F-150 XLT, 4x4, SuperCab, 5.0L, Chrome Package, 3.55 E-Locker, Ruby Red.
'89 F-150 XLT Lariat, 4x4, Supercab, 5.8L, C-6, 3.55 Limited Slip, Light Chestnut with Tan Cloth Interior.
'79 F-350 Custom, 4x4 Regular Cab, 460 swap, (originally a 351M), C-6, 4.10 Limited Slip, Medium Vaquero Metallic/White 2-tone.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Posting Guru

DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the info guys. I will pass it on. I'm certainly not comfortable doing the service if it's that sensitive of a procedure.

Your help is much appreciated.
"Official Project Stages: (1) Uncritical Acceptance. (2) Wild Enthusiasm (3) Dejected Disillusionment. (4) Total Confusion. (5) Search for the Guilty. (6) Punishment of the Innocent. (7) Promotion of the Non-participants."
-Unknown
Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Crossovers

Tags
change, cvt, ford, freestyle, oil, service, transmission