Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic equipment for EEC-IV.......PICS

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 PM
eco
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diagnostic equipment for EEC-IV.......PICS

In a recent thread some folks did not seem to be aware of what is available to trouble shoot these rigs. The scanners out (generic and manufacturer specific) there don't do much for OBD-I since there is no "Data Link Connector." However, many of the functions that modern scanners (Snap-On Modis, MAC Mentor, manufacturer specific scaners) allow one to do on OBD-II rigs (and then some) can be done with the EEC-IV ODB-I rigs too. It's just a matter of knowing what is available and where to get it. Over the years I have accmulated a fair amount of EEC-IV specific test equipment, and I will share with you what it is and what it does

The most usefull of the EEC-IV specific tools is the Monitor. It hooks up in series with the computer and the wiring harness. It has a built-in digital display (for volts, ohms, mSEC, hz, DEG...which ever you choose) that you can set where ever you want within a 5 feet range (roughly) which comes in handy for test drives. You can choose to display whatever you want...be it TPS, MAP, MAF, coolat temp sensor, fuel injector pulse width.....whatever. The big fat **** with the blue and pink around it is used to select what get displayed on the digital display. The Monitor also displays the firing of the injectors in real time, the spout (whether or not it is hooked up), the switching of the O2 sensor(s) in real time, the TAD and TAB and much more all with a series of LEDs. Each application calls for a different overlay. I use the 92 Mustang overlay since that is the computer that I have. If anyone here gets a Monitor but needs an overlay, I can likely hook you up. I have almost every overlay that was made. The Monitor also came with a couple thousand pages of text to troubleshoot, I have that too. This is just the tip of the iceberg regarding what the Monitor can do.

This is the Monitor Recorder. It allows you to record up to 8 channels of what the Monitor sees. You can record up to a certain amount of time (10 minutes I think, just push the START RECORD button) and when you are done you hit CAPTURE. You then playback the channels you recorded 1 or 2 at a time. The data either displayed on the digital readout, the analog readout (both are on the Recorder) or an external volt meter or scopemeter of your choice. It hooks up to the Monitor via PORT A and PORT B.

This is a fuel pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge...it can be used for either. The data that this reads can be inputed to the Monitor or displayed on a volt meter or scopemeter of your choice.

In many cases the Monitor (and breakout boxes) can be a pain to install due to space issues. This relocates everything and makes the hook up of the Monitor a cake walk.

This is used to alert the driver that a trouble code has been logged into the EEC-IV. It hooks up to the test connector. When a code gets logged, it beeps. It is usefull on test drives + it also beeps on continuous memory codes...the ones that don't light up the CEL.

A TFI bench tester....fairly straight foreward what it does. Plug it in, push the button. If it does not find a fault, both LEDs light up. Not the greatest, becuase it does not catch the problems that cme and go and it does not give much info.

This is the best TFI ignition system diagnostic tool out there as far as I am aware. If hooks up in series with the TFI module and has a series of LEDs that tell you what is going on. I will also diagnose a no start condition. It has a little breakout box off to the side so that you can measure the signal going through any given wire associated with the system. It comes with a manual that tells you how to trouble shoot based on any given LED indicated fault.

This is a breakout box. Not quite as handy as the Monitor, but it does have it advantages. I like to use it in conjunction with a scope meter so that I can graph the data in relation to a given time frame. This is good because I can then catch things like a bad spot in a TPS (or any sensor for that matter) that any old volt meter or even the digital read out on the Monitor wont catch because it is not fast enough. A scope meter will catch ANYTHING. This is the OTC version. These allow you to probe any of the 60 pins that plug into the EEC-IV quickly and easily.

This is the Thexton breakout box. Different construction, but it does the same thing.

Last edited by eco; 11-05-2007 at 09:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 PM
flareside_thunder
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, eco......goodluck with that....looks ummmmm confusing to say the least......please tell me you wing it with all that stuff.....then I wouldn't feel too much like a moeran......Later on

JR

Old 11-05-2007, 09:02 PM
eco
Posting Guru
My Fluke scopemeter...

This is a diagnostic cable so to speak that hooks up in series with various parts of the ignition system then plugs into a breakout box. This is nice because the whole ignition system is layed you right in front of you and it is easy to get reading. No more fussing around with back probing.

Volt meter and amp clamp.....fairly straight foreward.

This is my exhaust gas anayzer. Hands down the best way to know how a motor is running. It is non-intrusive and will tell you whatever you need to know.....if the motor is running rich, lean, missfire etc.etc. Everything gets displayed on a laptop and it runs on OTC Microgas software.

This is a smoke machine. It finds leaks of all kinds...mainly used for vacuum leaks and evap leaks....but for these rigs not so much on the evap system. It also works for finding oil leaks in newly assembled things like rear ends, manual steering boxes etc.

Last edited by eco; 11-05-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Damn dude... I'm at a loss for words. Haha. Wanna come out to CA and test my truck for me? All that stuff looks really complicated...

Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 PM
eco
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Skandocious
Damn dude... I'm at a loss for words. Haha. Wanna come out to CA and test my truck for me? All that stuff looks really complicated...
It's really not that complicated. It's basically an analog scanner broken up into several different items....you know...dinosaur technology. Instead of scrolling through various screens to find a certain function, everything is layed out in front of you. Funny thing is, this stuff can be had for very cheap. On top of that, half the time when I run into this stuff it looks like it was sent to the dealership service depatment, set in a corner and never touched (the Rotunda stuff that is). For some reason those dealer techs did not bother using this stuff. I wish I could figure out why because as far as I am concerned this stuff works great. The only things that really costed me some serious coin was the smoke machine, gas analyzer and the scopemeter. The Rotunda stuff costed me anywhere from 10 dollars to 150 dollers per item.

Last edited by eco; 11-05-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by eco
.... Funny thing is, this stuff can be had for very cheap. On top of that, half the time when I run into this stuff it looks like it was sent to the dealership service depatment, set in a corner and never touched (the Rotunda stuff that is)........

....For some reason those dealer techs did not bother using this stuff.

.....The Rotunda stuff costed me anywhere from 10 dollars to 150 dollers per item.

HeyZeus H. Crispus!... That's close to 10 to 20K in original equipment cost for all that Rotunda stuff! Where the hell do you shop?????

2 break out boxes this guy has... 2!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:29 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Yes, where do you shop? I'd love to have a BOB and a lot of that other stuff -- and for OBDii stuff as well.

ford2go

Old 11-06-2007, 07:19 PM
eco
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Scndsin
Where the hell do you shop?????
Auctions. Whenever a stealership shuts down, cleans house etc. they auction off this kind of stuff. These Rotunda tools in addition to service manuals (I got a bunch of those too) and other odds and ends get sent to public auctions and online auctions such as eBay. Right now there is a bunch of these same tools on eBay. The beauty of it all is that the majority of what I got was still in the factory packaging....unopened.

Last edited by eco; 11-06-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:29 AM
KDPate
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn eco, you're set to diagnose any ford OBD-I system.

Now I feel sheepish for using and Actron scanner and a Fluke multimeter......

Old 11-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by eco
the majority of what I got was still in the factory packaging....unopened.
And people wonder why their dealerships can't fix their #*%!@ vehicles...

Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 AM
89frankenford
Elder User
WHOA!!!!! good finds..no GREAT FINDS! i should have gone down to the dealership that just got bought out and shut down!! i could have nabbed some of that stuff

Old 11-08-2007, 12:10 PM
eco
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 89frankenford
WHOA!!!!! good finds..no GREAT FINDS! i should have gone down to the dealership that just got bought out and shut down!! i could have nabbed some of that stuff
Is ebay an option for you? If you get a monitor and need the overlay I can probably hook you up. They only go for about 75-150 dollars on the norm.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM
mmcss640
New User
Eco, I'm buying a used Monitor and I'm not sure if the manual is included / available. Have you scanned your Monitor manual into pdf format? I would be interested in obtaining a copy. Thanks. Old Ford Instructor

Old 11-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Paul2020
New User
Sure Proof Test for TFI ?

Eco and friends!

I've done a lot of reading the last couple days on the TFI failures in the older model Fords. I have an 1988 E-150 conversion van in very good condition except for this stalling out, no start problem. It looks like there was a major issue and a major lawsuit that Ford settled out of court around 2001. A known issue involving random TFI failures due to overheating of the unit.

I read some people's experiences about replacing a brand new TFI module that tested good with another brand new one and it corrected the no-start problem.

Conclusion: The standard tests from before cannot always detect a bad TFI.

A TFI replacement story:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...stributor.html

Suggested Testing Procedures that reportedly don't always show a bad TFI:

Ford Ranger/Bronco II TFI Ignition Diagnostics

I am wondering two things.

1) Does the Ford Rotunda TFI tester give a more accurate test than anything else? From the article number (87-21-10) issued by Ford it looks like it might have come out in 2010?

If so, where in the world can I get one reasonably? I haven't been able to locate anything yet on eBay or by searching for Ford dealer out-of-busines auctions.

2) Motocraft TFI's are quite expensive. I can get one at near wholesale for between $100 and $150 plus shipping. What aftermarket brand is the next best option in your opinion?

Thanks!

Here is Ford's published article on the new test procedure:

EEC IV - TFI MODULE AND PIP SENSOR - Article No. 87-21-10
NEW DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1983 MARK VI
1983-86 CAPRI 1983-87 LYNX 1983-88 COUGAR, MERCURY, CONTINENTAL, LINCOLN TOWN CAR 1984-88 TOPAZ, MARK VII 1986-88 SABLE
MERKUR: 1985-88 XR4Ti 1988 SCORPIO

LIGHT TRUCK: 1983-88 ALL LIGHT TRUCK LINES

ISSUE: A new diagnostic procedure for testing the TFI module and PIP sensor has been developed. This new procedure allows the technician to take a direct path when testing the TFI module and PIP sensor with the use of the new TFI IV diagnostic tester (Rotunda No. 105-00003).
ACTION: If service is required, use the diagnostic procedures on pages 29 through 60 of this TSB. Insert these pages in the Engine/Emission Diagnosis Manual, Volume H, Section 15.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: None
WARRANTY STATUS: "INFORMATION ONLY

Old 11-12-2011, 04:05 PM
89lilfoot
Freshman User
If I had that kinda money. Don't you think I'd be sportn a brand new rig. Who do you work for? Sale rep?

Quick Reply: Diagnostic equipment for EEC-IV.......PICS