Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Senior User

tasboj is starting off with a positive reputation.
brake squeal

Hi guys I have a 1970 ford f 250 ranger xlt and i just changed new rotors,pads,bolt pins and brake hardware kit and my brakes squeal like crazy it is driving me nuts i don t now what to do does anybody have any suggestions what to do so i can fix this noise any help would be appreciated thank you
Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Postmaster

willowbilly3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Disc brake squeal is almost always caused by pads that are loose in the holders. Did you install the anti-rattle springs new?
Oh, and that anti squeal goop in a bottle, it's made for the mechanic not for the brakes. It does nothing to quiet noisy brakes, just makes you think you're doing something.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:14 AM
Senior User

Thanks for the reply willowbily3 I already fix the problem, I took everything apart put new bolt pins, new springs and bushings turn the rotors and I put some of the anti squeal goop your talking about and the noise is gone. Now I'm not saying that the goop fix the problem and I will never now because the first time I installed all new rotors,pads,springs,bolt pins,bushings except the goop and the brakes squealed very loud. but a friend did tell me to drive the truck at 35mph and hit the brakes soft until I slow down to 5mph I did this tree times and then did the same thing but this time at 45mph and slow down to 5mph tree times, He said this is to transfer a layer of pad material to the disc and thats what makes the pads grip to the rotor anyways it worked the squeal is gone. Now I can drive down the road and not be emberest to hit the brakes and have people stair at me.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 AM
Posting Guru

elgemcdlf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The magic goo is basically a plastic flexible glue to insulate the steel face of the pad from the steel piston & caliper. You may have burned off the noise but as said it is usually caused by a pad that is moving around. Small foreign brakes were real bad about it which is where I first was introduced to the product (EMP). Just info for you to have in the future. Burning the pads in doesn't hurt either. I assume you cleaned the packing oiol off of the rotors prior to installation.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:05 AM
Senior User

elgemcdlf thank's for the info the problem has bean solved, but yes I did clean the packing oil with break cleaner so far so good no squeal at all.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:05 AM