Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Lightning Vs. Supra

Old 01-01-2004, 01:21 PM
FordBoy85
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets put it this way, I have a mustang gt (go ahead with the insults). I have beaten both lightnings and superas alike, but I am not stock either. However, I have gotten my butt kicked by the same two who are not stock, and the lightnings are always a close race, mainly because, well.... they are pigs. their weight is a disadvantage. Yes, bone stock to bone stock a supera can wail on a lightning. Now when i had my syclone, before it was stolen, the superas never stood a chance, regaurdless their mods. There again, a lighter truck then the lightning. I do believe that weight is the key.

Old 01-02-2004, 12:50 AM
Blade_62
Freshman User
The only thing about ricers I find hilarious (the cars I find ugly, its just not my thing? I dont really like the new mustangs either, so dont call me a specific area hater!) is that my 88 Bronco with rust in spots, im runnin a straight back with only one cat on it so it sounds pretty beefy, and a riceboy who paid $17,000 for a car with their "mods", when I paid $2500 for my truck and so far have invested...gas, and I can keep up with them, what I dont get is when they pull up to me and rev, I have a really really big heavy truck, thats old....why choose me to race? Funny, you think their big bad cars would want to race something that was actually meant to go fast?

Old 01-08-2004, 11:28 PM
charles6
Freshman User
Hey guys someone who is on this site has a moded 2001 Lightning and is running an 11.72 quarter at a whopping 118mph !!!! Any rice boys with their w/their moded twin turbo settup runs across this truck ........ they are toast!! just figure yall would like to know.

thanks,
Brad

Old 01-14-2004, 03:54 AM
jcreality
Senior User

uhhmmm...
how much towing capacity and payload capacity does a Supra have?
Howabout have them hit each other head on (with test dummies~ not the street drag-dummies~ of course) and see which holds up in this Lightning vs. Supra test?

Now, I have a stock S2000 which I ALWAYS drive between 7500 and 9000 RPMs in the mountain twisties I love. What the car is designed to do, and all the engine's performance is found. If I wrap it like that in FIRST GEAR anywhere in town, I'm already breaking the speed limit. So I drive my Teg for in-town stuff, but I'm not stupid to call a race on a DIFFERENT CLASS of car/truck. I had a Powerstroke wanting to race me when I was breaking-in my Roadster.......I laughed at the guy as I let him pull away, and slowed to a stop at the next light, and shouted over that awesome deisel engine burble that I could pull more weight than him in a towing contest too. (What a friggen idiot, DOH!) Maybe some out there won't get that. (if you think I was seriously believing that, I obviously entered a wrong thread)
Yes, I know my car has basically no torque, but 240hp on a 2Liter naturally-aspirated engine? Good luck. Give me 3x the displacement with similar output...yadda yadda yadda. I KNOW these two vehicles you guys are battling over could rip me from a dead start (unless I drop my clutch at 6000+RPMs), but it's unlikely stock in them could keep view of my tail-lights on the mountain roads I drive~so I don't suggest a battle "S2000 vs Lightning"
But big deal, really.
What IS a big deal is ANY of these idiots dragging in public. (if that includes you or your buddies, why don't ya stop it? I bet if I met you or the potential people/animals you could kill, I'd like each to stick around and die a 'natural' death, ya know?)
They **** me off when driving my Integra, roadster, or while riding in my friend's supah-fast Tercel.

This arguement is silly. Stock Supras were hot, modded ones still are. So are Lightnings.

So much so, I was 'about' to order the new '04 Lariat to satisfy my towing needs, but am seriously considering the new Lightning when in finally comes out (anyone know WHEN, approximately?).
It'll tow over 3000lbs still, right?
Oh, and I expect my S2000 "4 banger" to easily supercede 150k miles while driving it mostly as close to 9000RPMs as is 'legally' possible. Every Honda I've owned is bulletproof, so the statements made above about "breaking down" doesn't make ANY sense to me. Maybe it's cuz I sell them after 150k miles? Maybe it's AFTER that that all this claimed-repair-expense comes into play? If you're heavy into domestics, don't hate me, cuz I AM about to purchase the most-amazing truck currently available in this market. YUP with 2 large blue ovals to view from the outside whether you are whipping me off the line, or sitting back to admire it!
*sigh*
Tryin' to keep it real,
~jc

Oh, I'm not an old dude with no desire for speed. I LOVED hitting 147mph on a barren highway with the top down! As much as I'm hitting straight here, there are likely those to draw their own conclusions though.

Last edited by jcreality; 01-14-2004 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:44 PM
1962_Fords_rule
Senior User
my 62 ford has approx. 288k miles. I cant bash on the original 292 V8 its got. Its not a ball busting pickup, but it does amazingly well for what its got. That 292 is one hell of an engine. Im just turning 16 so i havent done much screwey stuff....yet. My fav. part in 2 fast 2 furious is when the ricers are gettin ate up by the good old american muscle (69 yenko camaro, and dodge charger r/t). Thats the kinda power real cars should have. Real cars beatin the lil coffe can cars while they are NOS is realy making a statment. I almost cried when they jumped the camaro into the back end of that boat .

Old 02-17-2004, 12:06 AM
alleycat
New User
Re: Lightning Vs. Supra

Originally posted by Red_EB_Bronco
poke around a little more too see what our DOMESTIC cars can do with a little mods...

I hate when people compare a heavily moded vehicle to another car which is completly stock... for example " whoa man check out my new twin Jz engine with my 1500 hp and lets race a stock mustang (what a peice of craftsmanship that mustang is)

put just as much money into a STANG and you will definatly get double the output all you ricers out there

LO
L... Rice L

jOL..
I have not figured out how to use this yet ,I guess that is obvious, but I had to mention something in reference to modified cars racing stock ones. A year or two ago, in one of the auto. periodicals they had a "showdown" between two stock corvettes.One I think was a 2oo1 and the other was a 1967 427 tri-power 435 h.p. They wanted to see if the legendary big block could stand up to modern technology. The thing is that the new vet had modern rubber on the ground and the old one had the same skinny old redlines it came with in 1967.As I recall, the photos in the article,showed the new vet triumpantly crossing the finish line and old one wallowing along in a cloud of smoke 3 or 4 links to the rear. I had a vet like that, for a short time, in `67 and there is no doubt that when pushing this car to it`s limit`s there was a good deal of smoke involved, as a matter of fact I don`t think that car could be pushed to it`s limit`s with the street tires available then. All i`m saying is those writers may have been laughing a different tune if both cars had the same tires.

Old 02-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Rockinfield
New User
800 + HP Supra Dyno Vid.

Copy and paste into your browser address. I coudn't get the html tags to make it a live link.

http://nicotine.golden.net/Movies/Toyota%20supra%20Turbo%20800%20hp%20(1).mpg

I don't care for ricers myself. 3 years ago one of our IT guys had Supra. He was making 500 rwp. He was also running some crazy *** boost along with a single turbo and straight pipe.

He told me that a stock Supra engine 3.0 inline 6 and driveline were designed to handle 900 hp without any beef ups. I found that hard to believe. But after talking to numerous different folks and doing a clever online search, from the info I've gathered on net, it's seems to be not too far off.

Old 03-11-2004, 11:35 PM
2000f150lariat
New User
i got to ride in a lighting once, it went like snot, but agian i would sure hoe a 45k car would beat a 35 k truck ahah ricers

Old 03-12-2004, 08:02 PM
lightwing
New User
What a bunch of dumb asses... street racing, know nothing about Supras, classifying everything with the racially prejudicial term "rice". Unbelievable.

Old 03-14-2004, 02:07 PM
txfx4x4
Senior User
I just happened by this forum as I usually hang out in the 2004 F-150 area. I can't help but laugh out loud at the ignorance of some of these posts. I really think that you should have something worthwhile to say before you actually go to the trouble of typing in something stupid.

I have owned 9 Ford trucks, all of which were great. I have also owned 6 Ford cars including a modified Mustang Cobra. In addition, I have had the experience of owning a modified Supra Twin Turbo and a modified Corvette C5. I guess that gives me a little better perspective than some of the previous (as in ignorant) comments posted previously.

Of all the cars and trucks I have owned, the Supra was by far my favorite vehicle. No doubt about it. It was a great car (read: CAR). It was never intended to compete with a Lightning truck and comparing the two is a bit far fetched. One was designed for one thing, the other for something entirely different.

As for the posts suggesting that American V8's are somehow inherently better, better check your facts. My mostly stock 3.0 liter 6-cylinder Supra consistently put out about 400 hp to the rear wheels. It would do it day in and day out without drama or complaint. On the other hand, the enginine in my 2004 F-150, the new-and-improved Triton 5.4 liter 3V would by lucky to put down 225 hp (I can't swear to this since I have no reason to put it on a dyno). As I calculate it, the Supra puts out 133 hp/liter in mostly stock form (stock internals, modified exhaust - less than $1k in mods). That's not to mention that it would get over 25 mpg on the highway. That's on a 10-year old car that cost me used about $25k. On the other hand, I have a brand new, $38k truck sitting in my driveway that would be lucky to pull 42 hp/liter. All that while consuming gas at a miserly rate of 15-16 mpg on the highway. You can say/write all the ridiculous things you want about how great American V8's are but the facts don't back you up. That's probably because the two vehicles in question were designed for entirely different purposes.

With respect to the people who refer to Japanese cars as "Rice" or "Ricer" maybe you have no appreciation for the engineering that goes into most Japanese cars. It's exactly that superior attitide that has served the American car industry so well over the last decade. So well in fact that the big three are trying desperately to copy many of the Japanese design and manufacturing techniques in oder to avoid being dismissed in the global economy.

The point in all this verbiage is to simply state that comparing apples to oranges is not particularly meaningful. The Lightning is a great idea, I know I admire the concept as I do most other niche-type vehicles. I wouldn't buy one but that's just me. If you want to compare it to a Dodge or Chevy pickup, that would be a little more relevant.

Old 03-19-2004, 01:26 AM
faroffthetrack
Elder User
man if i had the money to build a 1000hp supra id much better put that money on a 75' vette ;D good ole american muscle

Old 03-22-2004, 12:15 PM
wastedknights
New User
I'm a fan of any performance vehicle whether it's domestic or import. I'm mostly a Ford guy, but that's my personal preferance. I don't hate other vehicles because they're not Fords. I have great respect for cars like the TT Supra, 300ZX TT, etc. as well as Mustangs, Lightnings, Cameros, Vettes, etc. Each of them have excellent performance and I like them all. And modifying them only makes them better.
Threads like this are stupid. Can't we all just get along and respect each others personal choice of vehicle? Besides, arguing over stupid stuff on the intenet is like competing in the special olympics...even if you win, you're still retarded. (it's a joke, take no offense.)