1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires

Anyone have any experience with these tires, specifically 265/75r16?

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
never heard of them

The Silent Armour is a great tire

whatever you grab, make sure to get a Load Range D at minimum, preferably a E range LT rated tire

Old 05-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
They are made for and sold specifically at Wal-Mart, currently $196 each, and a very close relative to the Duratrac. I bought two brand new ones from Craigslist, $200 for both, E rated. Mounted on the rear.

Thing is they apparently only have a 2 ply sidewall, 10 ply tread. I've read this from Goodyear themselves although now I can't find that exact link. I'm not sure if that will equate to steering problems on the road or not. I don't think they're radial like the Duratracs, either. Also stated is that these are made for heavy loads but...

A few reviews I've read people have them on lighter vehicles such as Jeeps and Tacomas and they all seem to love them yet a few 250 owners have given them back within a week, saying the front end acts like a sway bar is missing, the tires roll so much, thin sidewall. I'm not sure if size was the same or what their pressure was. Certainly has me concerned. I am or was about to buy two new ones for the front but now I'm hesitant to say the least.

Anyone have experience with Duratracs? Specifically 265/75r16?

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:18 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had duratrac's but they were the 18" size. Great tire, rotate very often though.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM
2008fordguy
Senior User
I had 265/75-16 on my reg cab 03. They wore terrible and needed 3k rotations. The truck the tires were on was light, I wouldn't put them on my Superduty. Spend an extra 2-3 hundred and get good tires.

I got mine at Walmart 780 installed, could have gone to discount and spent 1000 and got whatever tire I wanted.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Goodyears are bad!

Short story: We bought two new sets for two different trucks, out of the 8 tires only 2 survived (so far). The other 6 came apart and had to be changed on the road. No more Goodyears round these parts!

Old 05-26-2012, 09:56 AM
tmaglin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Texas Chain Ring
Anyone have any experience with these tires, specifically 265/75r16?

Thanks.
I have used the 265 70 17s and I really liked them. I traded trucks and have 3 for sale with less than 10,000 miles on them. I ruined the aidewall on the 4th tire hitting a road hazzard. These tires rock in mud and snow.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
I did some more research. Apparently it's not only the Wrangler Authority but the Wrangler Duratracs as well that have the "squishy" effect on the highway.

I just don't get why they'd say "designed for heavy loads", rated E, yet make 'em out of playdough.

I'm buying two New Cooper Discoverer ATP's today for the front and two new ones next week and selling these crappy Goodyears. 10 ply all the way around.

Thanks for all the insight. I'm done with Goodyear.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

shame you aren't going to give them a fair shake.

at least the Coopers seem to be a decent tire.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tylus
shame you aren't going to give them a fair shake.

at least the Coopers seem to be a decent tire.

I've read enough reviews from F250 and 350 owners who tried to give them a fair shake. Blowouts from running over a curb or even simply running up against the side of one as well as no freeway control whatsoever.

I've had Coopers on the F-150 before, and they were awesome! The new atp's, albeit they are AT's, are also specially designed for road stability.

They have under 90 miles on them, currently mounted on the rear of my F250 7.3 SD . Already when I shove the bed side to side the sidewalls squirm all over the place. No way I'm putting them on the front.

Looking forward to the new Coopers.

Last edited by powerstroke72; 05-28-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Remove attempt to sell tires.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

sorry, I meant the good Goodyear tires. Not the ones that Walmart sells. There is a definate quality difference.

I've ran many many pairs of them over the years.

It's a case of "You get what you pay for" with tires. Walmart gets the job done. Just not so well at times

Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
I found these on Craigslist but they obviously came from Wal-Mart. I don't think that they can be held accountable though. It's Goodyear that made them and it's not only the Authority but the DuraTracs as well. Judging by a ton of reviews they seem to excel in snow and mud which is all low speed driving, nothing wrong with the traction, but it's at freeway speeds that they give trouble and especially on the heavy duty trucks.

Oh well, live and learn.

Last edited by powerstroke72; 05-28-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Remove ad and photos of tires for sale
Old 05-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

are the tires mounted and on the truck right now?

just wondering if you even tried these. Reason I ask is because many people expect a M/T or extremely aggressive A/T to act like a highway A/T tire does. They just don't.
they're constructed differently for their different intended use...and even the rubber compound. M/Ts are much softer typically

I'm running BFG M/T's with a D rating right now. My ride is a little squishy at times, but overall not too scary. It came with them, but I'll upgrade to E rated when I buy new.
I personally would buy 2 matching tires and run what you got. Those are 2 very nice looking tires. The price is right. if they don't work out, you can always go to a different tire down the road.

that's just me though. Unless you plan on hauling a heavy trailer i think you won't even notice those tires. I'm a penny pincher where I can. And for $200 you are way on the upside right now. I know you use your truck for work, but didn't you say in another thread you've been working out of a minivan for awhile? That leads me to think you don't see a ton of weight...just a nice one every now and then

Old 05-26-2012, 03:09 PM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Of course they are going to be a bit squirmish. Look at all the siping! Siping creates more surface for edges to increase traction, especially on ice. The more surface edges for a given area (knobby) the more unstable the area (knobby) becomes, especially on the inner and outer ribs.

The most stable highway tires are ones that have a solid/continous inner and outer rib. Look at the steer axle tires on a tractor trailer and you will notice this. They are made for long wear and stability.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Awesome. I almost went with the Discoverer ATR's, glad I got hese ATP's instead. A bit more AT, blocky but less aggressive then the Wrangler Authority. They ride very smoOth and I personally like the look of them, how they fill the well a bit better than the ATR's I think, look to be a bit wider.

Wrangler Authority 265/75r16's on the rear.

Clean shop!

Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75r16's on the front.

This weekend's Memorial Day special, buy two tires and receive a $50 mail in rebate good on a pre-paid Visa card or buy all four and get $100 on a card. I at least got the $50. With rebate I only paid $330 and change.

Discount Tire.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires