Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

View Poll Results: What is your VGT% at Hot Idle? (please vote)
pegs at 85% 8 44.44%
80-84% fluctuating 1 5.56%
77-80% 3 16.67%
70-76% 6 33.33%
I haven't a clue, I have no gauges. 2 11.11%
What the heck is VGT%? 2 11.11%
I don't do polls. 2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2012, 04:34 AM
I'm hitting easy street

amdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant future
So, if you notice, my VGT% is 52% doing 60 mph. At one point, a few months back, I would flip through the Xgauges and see the VGT% down near 43%. Didn't think of it much. But, then noticed the low idle at 85%, which I hadn't really seen. Not that I was paying all that much attention to.

Now, if a person's VGT% at low idle were to be near 70%, what are you seeing at 60 mph? Low 40's? Or maybe lower?

High idle (hot) 2500 rpms is said to be 43%

Vote for my truckhttp://www.powerstroke.org/forum/pow...test-poll.html"Drive it like you know how to fix it!"
Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Posting Guru

Frankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to all
frankenbiker
Mine varies at speed, usually a fairly tight band around 55%.

I haven't made a test run lately, but I seem to remember never seeing full-on acceleration (i.e. a 0-100 run) being any less than 40%.

I did in fact ask Matt @ Spartan (several years ago) if he could write me a tune that would treat the turbo as a non-VGT unit, but nothing ever came of it.

I suspect that I could probably replace my VGT with a turbo from a 7.3 and not really see any appreciable difference in performance.

As for how one gets a specific VGT number at any point in a drive cycle, I believe that VGT% is calculated from looking at other variables, and not actually given in any table, like mass-fuel-desired or ignition timing. I've not been able to smoke out any method of achieving any specific number at any given engine speed, in my conversations with tuners.

Matt @ Gearhead achieves his increases in throttle response by changing values in the "smoke tables," which is what governs fuel application at various engine demands. Those particular tables are the electronic equivalent of "smoke limiters" on older, mechanically injected engines, whose purpose was to prevent application of full fuel available in the injection rack until the manifold saw some boost pressure. They're the old-school method for keeping an engine from "rolling coal" until it was under boost.

-blaine
Ranch Hand Legend Bumper (stay outta the way!) - Bilstein 5100's (control control control)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Elder User

Roasted7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
Benny, KOEO readings. MFv is MAF volts.
You must be near sea level.

I'm at 5500 ft so my BAR reads 12.2.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm hitting easy street

amdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasted7 View Post
You must be near sea level.

I'm at 5500 ft so my BAR reads 12.2.
I was at 200 ft.

Frankenbiker, That is a very tight band. On WOT , I can get mine down for a split second to 14%, there and gone. Kicking into passing gear, will drop to mid 30's.

Of course this isn't telling us the vanes are actually at those positions. Just showing us demanded.

Vote for my truckhttp://www.powerstroke.org/forum/pow...test-poll.html"Drive it like you know how to fix it!"
Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm hitting easy street

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Okay, I'll bite.

On mine, at about 195*F at idle in PARK, EBP_A reads between 16.8 and 17.0 psi. MGP reads between 0.36 to 0.39 psi. My VGT duty cycle remains steady at 68 %. Since the range of duty cycles you posted, is out of my range, I couldn't vote.

Does this information help?

thanks Mike.

Seeing many trucks run VGT% below 70%, I'm trying to figure out why the heck mine and many others run 85%.

If we are to be running in the area that yours is, then there must be an issue creating the 85%. I would think anyway.

Is the 85% telling me something is coming? Is it just something some trucks do?
If the PCM is requesting the motor to do something, and it isn't getting it done with the VGT%, what would be it's next logical request? More ? Fuel? Less fuel?

Is it the flash?

Mine is vxbc9nb amz2al11.

It just bugs me that it isn't right. After all, I'm a guy and I "need" to fix this!!

Sean

Old 05-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Yes sir!!! You are correct!!! MGP is the actual boost pressure.

Thanks for your Time MIKE

Reps Given

Sean whats the Matter the truck a slow off the Line/stop

I know you been chasing this for a few now Was hoping the new turbo would have solved it guess not
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 05-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Postmaster

m-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLADE35 View Post
Thanks for your Time MIKE

Reps Given

Sean whats the Matter the truck a slow off the Line/stop

I know you been chasing this for a few now Was hoping the new turbo would have solved it guess not
Borrow a VGT off a fellow member's truck to try, and see if that changes VGT duty cycle readings. The one's I have seen maxed out at 85% @ idle were slow to accelerate.
....but STILL loves hot women with big boobies
....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L
Old 05-26-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm hitting easy street

Benny
Funny thing, The truck is running fine. The new turbo spools as fast or faster than the stock.

Now, Mike. If what you are seeing with the trucks with 85% are slower off the line, Then, that would equate to lower fuel mileage. Or, that's what I would think.

Now, the reason for this thread.

I read a few forums. Most of the times when someone is complaining about fuel mileage, and they have gauges, like the SGII. They report their VGT% at 85.

So, if this is a common factor, and everything is running fine, can we find the culprit that is causing the 85%, fix the issue and see if it improves MPG. Or even performance.

As we have seen on these forums. A lot of stock trucks are up near 17-18 mpg on highway.
Yet, another stock truck is in the mid 13's and reading 85% VGT.

So, as I posted earlier, if the PCM is seeing something, then demands VGT to 85%, and still doesn't like what is going on, it then will be trying something else. That something else is what is puzzling me. And, what is it seeing that it gets it's panties in a wad and pegs VGT%?

Again, I have new turbo, new rebuilt FICM.

thanks guys, I appreciate your time and input.

Sean

Old 05-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Posting Guru

Frankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to all
frankenbiker
That doesn't seem right.

If the VGT is reading 85% and they're getting poor fuel mileage, the PCM is PROBABLY seeing too much boost and defueling.

This assumes that the VGT is STAYING at 85% past about 1500 RPM or so. It should NOT do that.

I will observe mine more closely as I go to lunch...

-blaine
Ranch Hand Legend Bumper (stay outta the way!) - Bilstein 5100's (control control control)
Old 05-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker View Post

If the VGT is reading 85% and they're getting poor fuel mileage, the PCM is PROBABLY seeing too much boost and defueling.

-blaine

This is Kinda what I have noticed too^^^^^^is say like a Bad MAP sensor giving a High Reading it will try and cut back the Boost or really MAP pressure with Adjustment of the VGT% and set to 85%
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 05-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
VGT is only an actuator. There is no sensor to indicate the actual position on the VGT itself, other than to monitor how MGP (manifold gauge pressure) with the engine running at 1200 RPMs and active command of VGT duty cycle between 0% to 85%. In a normally functioning turbo, a steady increase should be observed when VGT is increased as 85% is approached (along with the turbo spool up).

In other words, the PCM can command what duty cycle it wants the VGT to do, doesn't mean its actually doing it, nor is there a position sensor inside it (and PID to monitor), just like the IPR.

For what it's worth, I find it hard to believe the OP can't get his hands on another truck with a known good VGT to borrow. These trucks are a dime a dozen, so finding another one shouldn't be difficult. I'm just trying to help save some of his money before he goes out and either blows money on a turbo needlessly (or wastes the time in the labour needed to R & R the turbo for cleaning needlessly), or blows money on the pricey VGT solenoid without first pinpointing his issue.

Monitoring MAP and BARO (no EBP on 2003s) at key-on/engine-off will only tell him if he has any biased sensors, which I'm sure he's likely already done by now. Now he needs to find out WHY he's not boosting. I'll assume he has no exhaust or intake leaks or restrictions, now it's time to pinpoint the faulty turbo component(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLADE35 View Post
Mike Im right with you on the Actuator/s in the 6.0L Just Cuz it says VGT% is in one position Dont Mean its in that position Gotcha

Im Aware of the Special Diagnostic tool you guys use to Measure the actual turbo Piston Movement as you command with IDS

Mike can you tell me about the CAM Follower at the end the VGT Valve what does it do Exactly??????????
Does it just hold the piston in the Parked position or ???? Iv read and reread the turbo charger guide on this and just cant get it in my head exactly what this CAM FOLLOWER at the end of the VGTCV purpous is
School me/us on this Thanks

Now the Other Day Another guy had come here and his VGT% was stuck at 85% at all times and wouldnt Boost Well everything else checked out ok so replaced VGT and problem solved IDK maybe got Lucky

This from that other thread the other Day

One More thing Mike to help me out on

I just thought I would Post this in this thread to since its Similair Question/Issue here

Thanks Mike
Old 05-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Elder User

Roasted7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
thanks Mike.

Seeing many trucks run VGT% below 70%, I'm trying to figure out why the heck mine and many others run 85%.

If we are to be running in the area that yours is, then there must be an issue creating the 85%. I would think anyway.

Is the 85% telling me something is coming? Is it just something some trucks do?
If the PCM is requesting the motor to do something, and it isn't getting it done with the VGT%, what would be it's next logical request? More ? Fuel? Less fuel?

Is it the flash?

Mine is vxbc9nb amz2al11.

It just bugs me that it isn't right. After all, I'm a guy and I "need" to fix this!!

Sean

Maybe it's because you have the Powermax.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm hitting easy street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasted7 View Post
Maybe it's because you have the Powermax.
My old Turbo was the same. Thus I thought vanes were sticking and pulled it for cleaning while my ficm was out.

The vgt reading started back in January or so. Something changed.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Junior User

retiredinstructor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2004 stock but egr deletre vgt 67% ebp 17 psi at hot idle turbo recently cleaned vgt runs around 50to55% at speeds of 50 to 60mph vgt drops to40% on hard accel at 50mph interesting results so far iwas recently working on friends 6.0 2003 which was having turbo problems and we had observed his vgt at 87% hot idle iwill be watching for more on this subject especialy if any others have egr delete dennis
Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Posting Guru

frankenbiker
Was noticing mine yesterday... ambient temp pushing 100. Steady state was between 45 and 50 most of the time. Hard acceleration would dip down to as low as 28-29. Strangely, it would drop even lower on coasting. Taking off from lights would usually run 65 or so.

-blaine
Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 AM