Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2012, 01:52 PM
New User

Vic_Young is starting off with a positive reputation.
Washing underside of truck what should I be careful of?

I live in a mountainous region where we get a lot of snow and because of that the roads get salted a lot. I want to give the underside of the truck a good washing this summer to wash away all the salts and road grime. I have never done it before and I want to be careful not to harm something I shouldn't or put water or soap somewhere it should not be. I have a pressure washer, would it be safe to use it? What kind of soap to use? Just regular Meguiars wash shampoo?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Postmaster

danorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputation
I think the soap should be fine regardless of what you use. I would try and be careful around the rockers. The plastic sill plates in the cab just clip into the floor, and with a pressure washer you might blow that sill plate up and inadvertently fill your cab with water
Old 05-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Personally, I think the pressure washer is overkill. A good thorough spray down with a typical garden hose and a nozzle should be sufficient. Be most careful of the engine bay.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 PM
New User

Great tips, I'll forgo the pressure washer and just scrub everything down with some soap and rinse with a high pressure spray nozzle. I will pay extra attention when I'm under the engine bay.

Thanks a lot guys
Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Post Fiend

SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
in your manual it says to cover the battery, alternator, and intake opening only. I power wash my motor all the timejust to keepit looking new with a 2200 PSI washer. I spray everything with bleachwhite, then scrub it all with a soft wheel brush and then rinse, never had a problem with COP, or plugs. Undercarriage i just wash real good with the garden hose

2004 F-350, XLT, SC, SB, FX4, 5.4, 4R100 w/ .472 line mod valve & TransGo HD2 reprogramming kit, 4.30 gears w/ Detroit locker, zoo dad mod w/ STOCK intake, Gibson stainless headers, SPD y-pipe, 51509 cat, Borla 3" exhaust, 1" rear AAL, dually upper and lower overload spring, 08 diff cover, ProComp 22210 springs, more.....
Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler View Post
in your manual it says to cover the battery, alternator, and intake opening only. I power wash my motor all the timejust to keepit looking new with a 2200 PSI washer. I spray everything with bleachwhite, then scrub it all with a soft wheel brush and then rinse, never had a problem with COP, or plugs. Undercarriage i just wash real good with the garden hose
Just curious, do you mean Wesley's Bleach White? If so, why do you use it on the motor, does it brighten the aluminum?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Posting Guru

Papa Tiger has a good reputation on FTE.Papa Tiger has a good reputation on FTE.
Some carwashes have high pressure underbody wash at the start. Use it, you're done.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Postmaster

danorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Tiger View Post
Some carwashes have high pressure underbody wash at the start. Use it, you're done.
They miss a lot of the nooks and crannies. I get the undercarriage with my car wash, but I still get under there a few times a year to get the spots they missed
Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 PM
New User

Quote:
Not trying to be snobby Papa Tiger, but I hate the idea of running any vehicle through an automatic car wash, I worked at a carwash as a teenager and I saw a lot damage done to otherwise good paint jobs because of them. The car wash I worked at for 2 years was required to spray down, clean and replace the rocker panel washers and mitters, rarely was that ever done to a satisfactory level. The end result was hairline scratches and swirls galore especially on darker colored cars. I think about as fondly of auto car washes as I do quickie lubes, I don't. They only exist because most people don't know better. Touchless car washes may be okay but they are harder to find. Anyway, not a personal attack, thanks for the idea.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Posting Guru

critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Put a lawn sprinkler under it and VIOLA!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Posting Guru

Papa Tiger has a good reputation on FTE.Papa Tiger has a good reputation on FTE.
I have more problems with bugs on the windshield and grill. LOL
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 AM
New User

Quote:
I have more problems with bugs on the windshield and grill. LOL
Ah yes! bug guts one of the joys of truck ownership
Old 05-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Posting Guru

Now if I can only get the grandchildren to stop throwing rocks into the bed of the truck and behave better? LOL
Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Postmaster

Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by critterf1 View Post
Put a lawn sprinkler under it and VIOLA!

I love this idea awesome!!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Posting Guru

fordman19762003 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fordman19762003 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I power wash the underside of my truck once a month and I've never had any problems. It's not any different than driving in the rain.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:52 PM